The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hamhuis and his place on this team

PhillipBlunt

Hamhuis...Is he a veteran to transition with or trade bait?  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'll leave it up to the mods to decide if this qualifies, as I felt this was too long to be a status, I just thought Hamhuis' play in Minnesota was pretty excellent. He was super physical, and was extremely effective at clearing the zone.

He played good ole hockey. The right way.

If anybody shouldn't be traded, it's Hamhuis. I believe he should also get the same option as Henrik and Daniel. When he plays like he did in Minnesota, he's an asset to keep.

hamhuis is very valuable to a guy like hutton, and helped tanev develop into the reliable defenseman that he is now. what he lacks in pretty much everything he did 4-5 years ago, makes up in experience. he can still go, but isn't the guy we used to know who would flip guys over like it was nothing and went 30 minutes a game. when his career is over, i can see him being a strong defense coach

He's one of our most valuable trade assets but our d is sooo bad already, without hamhuis it would be even more grim. I think he stays as Benning likes to have his vet guys to mentor the young guys,  plus most likely we'll be within fighting distance of a playoff spot come trade deadline. Only chance he goes anywhere is if we're out of the playoffs and someone come with a knock your socks off trade 

If Hamhuis was more comfortable playing right side I could see a future for him here at reduced pay.  But he's not and neither are any of our other left D except Bartkowski.  That's a problem.  I agree that he's still capable of playing well but needs more support than he's getting from Weber.  No question that he's a sentimental favourite and deservedly so, but if there's any way of getting a middle pairing right D out there, be it trade, free agency or even waivers, I'd be looking at that.  Our depth chart on the left side going forward is Edler, Hutton, Sbisa. 

I agree...thing is, NO player will be perfect and we tend to hone in on players in a glaring way when they stumble without weighing things out in an overall, "big" picture deal.

He's heart and soul invested and, although I only "heard" it on the radio, sounds like the ability to play goaltender is pretty huge in saving games in the dying seconds.  You want players who have that kind of do or die impulse.

6 minutes ago, apollo said:

If he takes 2.9 shutup and take my money... I have a feeling his agent is gonna laugh at that offer though =/ 

Trade... Would have to make sense. Depends what's coming back.  I don't want draft picks. 

I'm going to guess that Hamhuis's camp is going to ask for 3 years at $5.4M AAV.  Rationale: when he signed with the Canucks in 2010, his $4.5M AAV was equivalent to 7.6% of the cap.  With the cap at, say $71M, and after taking a home town discount on his last deal, he's going to want something that is in line with his last deal.  

Not saying that if this is what happens that the Canucks sign him, but this is what I think Hamhuis's agent is angling towards.  If I'm JB and he accepts an extension on his current deal ($4.5M AAV), I'd sign Hammer.  He's still a 4-5 guy on any NHL roster.  Hopefully by next season, Benning will have cast Weber adrift and tossed him out the door, so perhaps Hamhuis will have someone he can play with that isn't a liability.

I like Hamhuis...a lot. Even have his jersey.

That said, Edler won't waive, is younger, and provides more offense. Hutton is the real deal. And Hamhuis is showing signs of his age; he has taken a step back in each of the last 2 years, and will continue to regress in the future. It's time to cut bait.

We need to start investing in the future.

Guys like Kesler, Bieksa and Burrows hold emotional ties to this team that will always tug at our heart strings, but the fact remains that they aren't spring chickens anymore and we don't need depth vets for a playoff run in the near future. If we can get value for them now we should.

Because we don't want to be in the position where our potential future leadership core in Horvat, Virt, Hutton etc don't have the secondary scoring they need to make this team a viable Cup threat in the coming years.

Archived