The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hamhuis and his place on this team

PhillipBlunt

Hamhuis...Is he a veteran to transition with or trade bait?  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

hamhuis is very valuable to a guy like hutton, and helped tanev develop into the reliable defenseman that he is now. what he lacks in pretty much everything he did 4-5 years ago, makes up in experience. he can still go, but isn't the guy we used to know who would flip guys over like it was nothing and went 30 minutes a game. when his career is over, i can see him being a strong defense coach

Just how do you know he was helpful to Tanev or Hutton? Are you in the locker room? Do you fly with them on road trips? Are you with them on the ice? Do they hang out together and your watching them??? 

Anything can be said on here LOL

I hope Benning doesn't fall in the trap many coaches and managers have, that he's a heart and soul guy, the truth about Hamius is he is has gotten older and can't keep up with the speed of the NHL; he could transition like Willie Mitchell did on LA, but his time in Vancity should be over, we need to get younger assets and Hamuis will have a market! YES he will once the Hamonic puzzle ends, Hamuis can atleast fetch this team a decent amount;therefore, not trading Hamuis will be the biggest blunder this team makes this year.

Not sure what will happen with Hammer for the remainder of this season, but I don't want him re-signed here at all. I would much prefer that money be invested in younger players, or put out for somebody who can play at a higher level that he can. Injuries have slowed him down noticeably. Been a real good player, great guy ... but it's time to move on, ala Bieksa.

Nuck fans are often 'out of the loop' when it comes to player salaries and contracts.  Bieksa just got 4m for two years, so Hamhuis is not going to be offered anything close to 2.9m and it is unlikely to find a comparable dman for that price either.

Hamhuis may decide to stay with Van and take his chances on the free market.  JB may decide that H is the best player he can find for the $.  Whatever the case, the next contract will likely be his last.

I think he would garner a better return than Bieksa.  He is still well regarded in the league and would be a good addition for a contending team.

6 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Solid guy.

but on the trade list of our dmen he'd be at the top.  Nostalgia/emotion/sentimentality would be keeping him here.  That's bad business.

Yep. There's also the popular (and accurate, IMO) notion of moving a player one year too early instead of one year too late. Kesler anyone?

So torn on this one. Classy person and a player. From BC, took home town discount to come here to play...

In an ideal world, I would say re-sign him as he is still an effective top 6. Even when he is having a bad game, he is better than Bartkowski and Weber (these two guys are the definition of what is a 7th defenceman). 

But if by the TD, there is an offer on the table that includes a 1st round pick or late 2nd (20th-35th range), I think we should trade him. Maybe we can sign him back as a free agent like Arizona did with Antonie Vermette.

2 hours ago, HK Phooey said:

I'm going to guess that Hamhuis's camp is going to ask for 3 years at $5.4M AAV.  Rationale: when he signed with the Canucks in 2010, his $4.5M AAV was equivalent to 7.6% of the cap.  With the cap at, say $71M, and after taking a home town discount on his last deal, he's going to want something that is in line with his last deal.  

Not saying that if this is what happens that the Canucks sign him, but this is what I think Hamhuis's agent is angling towards.  If I'm JB and he accepts an extension on his current deal ($4.5M AAV), I'd sign Hammer.  He's still a 4-5 guy on any NHL roster.  Hopefully by next season, Benning will have cast Weber adrift and tossed him out the door, so perhaps Hamhuis will have someone he can play with that isn't a liability.

I like hammer.  but hes not the Sedin's.  If he wants a cap hit around 5.4M a year he will be let go and not resigned.  Remember it was Gillis who signed those contracts to the Sedins.  Benning owes Hammer beyond giving him a chance to possibly resign.  I could see Hammer resigning in the 3's or early 4's.  I would think he would take a pay cut to stay so he might resign in the 3's.  I think hammer at 3.5M would be a steal.  

20 minutes ago, khay said:

Um... Hammer received a penalty for that? Please don't say yes.

I don't think he got a penalty, but there's no reason Brown shouldn't have gotten one there.

I forgot how painful that series was to watch. The SJ series was even worse. <_<

I like Hamuis and I think if should mean somthing to have a long time player in your back end. 

I think Weber needs to be replaced but beyond that, the Canucks are short on Defence. 

If the Canucks can sign that guy from the KHL is one thing but if not then defence is looking even more worrisome.

I actually voted to resign him. I really don't know. lol

I can see 3 scenarios really:

1. He is traded at the deadline. This would have a better chance if we're playing poorly as a team.

2. He is traded or let go a the end of the season. This is actually more of my prediction, but the op doesn't have it in the poll...

3. He is resigned for a lesser contract with his role being a leader on the back end. I think this is quite possible as we still need leadership for our youth and Hamhuis would be a great example for them.

EDIT: I guess really those 3 options pretty much cover everything anyway. Yay for my being Captain Obvious? lol

I think the standings will really determine what will happen. If the Canucks seriously fall off the playoff picture then I can see Hammer traded at the deadline. If the Canucks are fighting for a playoff spot, history such as Shawn Mattias and Brad Richardson tells us that Benning is also one to roll the dice and risk free agents leaving for no assets in return for a playoff push. Which in fairnss is the right thing to do when you are playing sprots.

2 hours ago, Jack Fig said:

Yep. There's also the popular (and accurate, IMO) notion of moving a player one year too early instead of one year too late. Kesler anyone?

Tough one in my opinion.  There seemed to be an underlying current of him being discontent.  No need for that if true...I think part of the new mgmt agenda was to free the club of drama which we have had over the years with a few former players.

kes was injury prone too and after Samuelson never really developed any chemistry with anyone. Hard to justify building your lineup to revolve around an unhappy 2c.

depends entirely on what the market will bear.

if at the trade deadline a team is willing to part with any of a first round pick, top prospect or young, soon-to-be-top-4 defenceman, then see ya later. anything less and i strongly consider a modest extension. 

It depends on what else happens?

Hammer has declined. But far still from the point he is no longer an effective NHL player. Thats silly talk. Nor can we let Dan go and leave Bartkowski as his replacement! I'd let Weber and Bart walk before flushing Dan Hamhuis for example. And is Pedan ready? 

Summary is;

- If a replacement is available

- And if we make it worthwhile by getting good value at the deadline.

Archived