The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] x4 first round picks 2016 draft

3 hours ago, Nooks said:

They did get Strome 41pts in 19GP so far from that though and will benefit for years after absolutely FLEECING the NYR on the Yandle deal.  Getting Domi's winger (Duclair) from junior will make their offence scary in a few years

Doesn't matter what they got. The point was, what Phoenix did was a fire sale.

3 hours ago, Nooks said:

They did get Strome 41pts in 19GP so far from that though and will benefit for years after absolutely FLEECING the NYR on the Yandle deal.  Getting Domi's winger (Duclair) from junior will make their offence scary in a few years

So are you saying you want us to trade the Sedins, Edler, Burrows, etc as well? Yay, we could be like Edmonton! No leadership! No sense of direction!

I completely agree in that Vbrata, Higgins and Hamhuis are all expendable and we should trade them now while they have value. However, those teams are only going to get us late 1st round picks. We'll end up with the Canucks pick (could become top-10 if we really stink it up after the TD, but more likely around 15th), then the 3 from contenders who will be 20-30th.

If anything, I'd try and use one of those 1st rounders plus a package to trade up and get that pick into the elusive top-10. This is going to be another deep draft and there are plenty of solid defencemen to be had which is what we really need.

That being said, anyone we draft now will be close to our young core, but not that close. I see Sutter as the older end (Tanev too) of the core, and McCann/Virtanen at the younger end. We need players between 19-25 ideally, so if we can I'd much rather trade Vbrata/Hamhuis/Higgins/picks/prospects for an early-20 year old solid right handed defenceman.

I'd love to pull off something like this:

TO NYI: Hamhuis + Higgins + 2nd

TO VAN: Hamonic

TO MTL/PIT/Wherever: Vbrata

TO VAN: 1st

Say that Montreal/Pittsburgh pick ends up being 25-30th, we package that plus our pick (around 15ish) plus any prospect for a top-10 if not top-5 pick. There are 5 stud defencemen who could easily go in the top-10 and we need to get ourselves one of them. Hamonic and Hutton will form a lovely future top pairing for a bit, Tanev and Edler are still great and Sbisa will be nice on our bottom pairing but we still miss that elusive star defenceman. This 2016 draft is our big chance at one.

Archived