The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canes looking to move Eric Staal

@NicholsOnHockey:
Friedman: "I do think Eric Staal will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of this year. I just think he's ready for a change." #Canes

@NicholsOnHockey:
Friedman sees both Eric Staal and the #Canes as ready for a change, and he thinks they'll find a way to do it so everybody looks good.

@NicholsOnHockey:
Friedman: "I think Eric Staal is going to get traded." And "I think there is going to be a lot of interest." #Canes

...this has Nashville written all over it.

Another player who I don't really see working well for us. He's 31 and likely will be on the decline. While he could be put in a leadership role, we already have that with the Sedins. It just doesn't make sense.

I predict he will get sent to a team looking to make a deep playoff run instead of a team in transition like ours. ;)

I have a weird feeling he could land in Toronto...

imagine if Toronto landed Stall and Stamkos somehow this offseason and with a wealth of scoring prospects and Babcok and the progress of Kadri, they would go from zero to contenders real quick 

i agree Nashville makes sense for him though

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I have a weird feeling he could land in Toronto...

imagine if Toronto landed Stall and Stamkos somehow this offseason and with a wealth of scoring prospects and Babcok and the progress of Kadri, they would go from zero to contenders real quick 

i agree Nashville makes sense for him though

I doubt Stamkos leaves Tampa Bay. In fact, I highly doubt it.

Staal in Toronto however I could see. It would be interesting at least.

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

He is not the 30-40 goal scoring Eric Staal he once was. Solid player but not worth prospects and picks....and then a long term extension.

It's really hard to say what player he is. Let's not kid ourselves, he plays on the Carolina Hurricanes. 

15 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I doubt Stamkos leaves Tampa Bay. In fact, I highly doubt it.

Staal in Toronto however I could see. It would be interesting at least.

Yea just in the clouds thinking based off earlier rumours. I would be surprised if he leaves too. I'm more surprised he's not been extended yet.

10 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

It's really hard to say what player he is. Let's not kid ourselves, he plays on the Carolina Hurricanes. 

Aha this is true, it's sad playing there has kinda sucked the life out of him.

he needs a change badly.

10 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I own a CDC account and watch games on TV. My player talent evaluation is better than most GMs. Because he is older than 30, his skills have rotted. We should now refer to him as Eric Staal's corpse.

He's kinda reminding me of Lecavalier.  Early success, but currently weighed down by a huge wallet. 

I mean, his  production vs salary ratio isn't great, but how much of it has to do with him being in Carolina?  Showing up to arena barely half-filled for years probably affects anyone's psyche. 

If the Canucks can magically fit him into the lineup, it would make the team contenders for the next 3-5 years.  Henrik and Staal being 1A and 1B centres would be scary.... almost as scary as the package required to pry him out of the Hurricanes. 

Rather the Canucks wait for him to be an UFA and make a policy that nobody gets more than Henrik and Daniel.... maybe.... oh well, one can dream, lol. 

Archived