The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Attention Edmonton Eskimos: Inuit are not mascots

Slegr

Maybe they have a legitimate gripe maybe not. In my opinion I think people nowdays just need to complain. They want to fight. In these days of social media where you can gain a following and support very easily from the comfort of your own home, with minimal effort... it's easy to do. However, (again, my opinion) if changing a team name is on your to-do list, maybe you need a new list.

8 minutes ago, BradyBoone said:

Maybe they have a legitimate gripe maybe not. In my opinion I think people nowdays just need to complain. They want to fight. In these days of social media where you can gain a following and support very easily from the comfort of your own home, with minimal effort... it's easy to do. However, (again, my opinion) if changing a team name is on your to-do list, maybe you need a new list.

Maybe it's just social media giving people the power to correct historical wrongs?

And if it's no big deal as people here are saying, and you aren't Inuit or an Eskimos fan then why would you care? I wouldn't stick up for a corporation that I have zero vested interest in. 

if someone rejects something outright, isn't that thing now free to be appropriated by someone else?

doesn't it seem funny for someone to say "this term does not apply to me, but I don't want anybody else to use it because its application is offensive to me".

don't you have to pick one or the other? 

8 minutes ago, nzan said:

if someone rejects something outright, isn't that thing now free to be appropriated by someone else?

doesn't it seem funny for someone to say "this term does not apply to me, but I don't want anybody else to use it because its application is offensive to me".

don't you have to pick one or the other? 

This is a very good point.

27 minutes ago, theminister said:

And, regardless, it's more about making a mascot of a racial/cultural group without their blessing or benefit.

There is not, and never has been, a requirement for blessing or benefit from the group being used as a mascot. They seem to want money out of all this. Nothing new there.

23 minutes ago, Offensive Threat said:

There is not, and never has been, a requirement for blessing or benefit from the group being used as a mascot. They seem to want money out of all this. Nothing new there.

Nope, you're correct.

But, at the same time, if a private interest group can effect enough influence on a private business, through social media and swaying public perception, to change what they perceive as culturally insensitive and wrong then i say all the power to them. I'm not a shareholder or an Eskie's fan so I don't care if it's changed. A rebranding would have zero noticeable affect on my life.

I find it in contrast that people complain about this being a PC brigade issue, It;'s not IMO, but they are equally guilty of having an opinion on something that doesn't affect them. Who's being too sensitive? I don't think it's the Inuit.

12 minutes ago, theminister said:

Actually, majorities do too.

Why wouldn't anyone want things to go their way?

True. But I was more talking about the tenure of today being people identifying themselves as these oppressed minority groups that the whole world is treating poorly. That's why I said "perceived minority."

Just now, Rounoush said:

True. But I was more talking about the tenure of today being people identifying themselves as these oppressed minority groups that the whole world is treating poorly. That's why I said "perceived minority."

I don't think anyone could reasonably claim that is the case with the Inuit.

The claims made in the letter in the OP are entirely true and verifiable.

They have been oppressed, greatly, in the very recent past. They want this done and I would support them in doing so. No skin off of my nose.

Eskimo means 'eaters of raw meat', so the work-around has always been that the intent was to name the team after eaters of raw meat.  'Grrrr.'  The other factor is that no Inuit person has been featured as a logo of the team.  There is a polar bear, and polar bears eat raw meat.

This is trying to play off the Washington Redskins complaint, but it isn't quite at the same level because the Redskins feature an actual american indian on the logo and 'redskin' has always been a fairly racist term.

I don't think the Edmonton Eskimos will be forced to change their name any time soon.

2 hours ago, theminister said:

They consider it derogatory and it's not really for outsiders to argue.

And, regardless, it's more about making a mascot of a racial/cultural group without their blessing or benefit.

Yeah for those claiming this is just about "political correctness" I encourage you guys to actually listen to them and consider how your opinion might be different if you were in their shoes.   Until you've walked in their shoes you don't really get to decide whether they should find it derogatory or not.

8 minutes ago, etsen3 said:

Yeah for those claiming this is just about "political correctness" I encourage you guys to actually listen to them and consider how your opinion might be different if you were in their shoes.   Until you've walked in their shoes you don't really get to decide whether they should find it derogatory or not.

How about we stop calling people them and us?  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How about we stop calling people them and us?  

Diversity is a strength in the world and not a weakness. I am not an Inuit and don't pretend to be. I am not them. They are not me.

Besides, if they are 'us' then why does Canada make treaties with aboriginal groups? Countries don't make treaties with their own citizens. That should be obvious. There is s difference.

This has nothing to do with the point though. If you consider the Inuit as equals then listening to them should be important. That's how you become inclusive and not exclusionary  .

Archived