The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Brandon Dubinsky suspended 1 game

1 game?  That is a joke.  Should be half a dozen games and a 1/4 of his salary for a cross check like that.  He could of easily broken sids neck if his stick didn't break over it.  The league needs tougher regulations against cheap shots like that with a stick.  I would even make him give a public apology and do a commerical informing kids thats not acceptable and i am sorry for being a bad example.  

This leagues displinary team is a joke.

Even without an injury that deserved at least 1 game just for the dangerous nature of the play. And the second cross check while Crosby was laying on the ice should have added at least another game. And then the injury, which they say is supposed to be a factor, should have added at least another game. 1 game is complete BS and yet another example of how little the DoPS actually concerns themselves with players' safety.

Idk about you guys but I think it should've been no games. 

...for the record, Byfuglien's was completely different. Miller fell infront of the crease and Buff saw him, knowingly visiously hit him in the back of the head and essentially tried beheading him.

Dubinsky on the other hand was just an everyday battle infront. Accidentally hit Crosby in the back of the neck. The cross check after was nothing either...happens every game a player falls down and a guy gives him one on the back. Bieksa did it every game honestly. Just might look worse cause the stick broke and it was on Cindy Crosby...

^ An everyday battle doesn't involve having your stick horizontally at head height and using it to cross check a player. You can see from the previous bump he's well aware of what height to have his stick at and yet he intentionally raises his stick higher to deliver a harder cross check and then to do it again once Crosby is down.

6 hours ago, poetica said:

Even without an injury that deserved at least 1 game just for the dangerous nature of the play. And the second cross check while Crosby was laying on the ice should have added at least another game. And then the injury, which they say is supposed to be a factor, should have added at least another game. 1 game is complete BS and yet another example of how little the DoPS actually concerns themselves with players' safety.

There wasn't an injury I thought. But I agree in general.

Byfuglien got 4 games for his crosscheck to the head of Miller awhile back. He's had history and it was even a little worse so they couldn't have given Duby 4, but I still think this should have been 2 games. 

2 hours ago, elvis15 said:

^ An everyday battle doesn't involve having your stick horizontally at head height and using it to cross check a player. You can see from the previous bump he's well aware of what height to have his stick at and yet he intentionally raises his stick higher to deliver a harder cross check and then to do it again once Crosby is down.

There wasn't an injury I thought. But I agree in general.

Byfuglien got 4 games for his crosscheck to the head of Miller awhile back. He's had history and it was even a little worse so they couldn't have given Duby 4, but I still think this should have been 2 games. 

You're right!

I didn't watch that game and thought I'd read he was suspected to have a(nother) concussion. Thankfully that's wrong and he actually returned to that game. (Now if he could just bring him game with him...)

Still, as you said the penalty was well outside the realm of a normal hockey play. It was a blatant and deliberate attempt to injure a player with a known history of concussion issues. It was despicable and unwarranted. And it deserved to be regarded as such by the DoPS. One game was simply not enough. If Burrows' late hit on Emelin deserved 3 games then a deliberate head hit followed by a cross check to a guy laying on the ice certainly deserved at least that much. The risk was similar, the result the same (no injury), but only in the hit on Crosby was there obvious and malicious intent. So why is it that the hit on Emelin got more punishment?

Further, isn't it interesting that they acknowledged that Dubinsky has been fined twice in his 10-year NHL career but in their video said he had "no relevant history". However, when Burrows was suspended they said Burrows has been fined 4 times during his 10-season NHL career and just listed that as "history" in his key points. That's particularly interesting for a couple of reasons: First, I can only find reference to 3 fines for Burrows. (There are 4 fines listed on his Wikipedia page, but one of them was from the ECHL. Surely that can't be where the DoPS gets their information!) Second, why would Burr's 3 fines (for spearing in 2008, punching a guy from the bench in 2009, and for telling the truth about Auger in 2010) be "history" but Dubinsky's fine in 2013 for boarding not be "relevant history"? That doesn't make sense if they are truly trying to be fair and unbiased.

Archived