The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vigneault fires back at Julien [article]

poetica

33 minutes ago, The Lock said:

That really IS interesting. You could literally put the name Burrows in wherever the name Marchand is and it would be about right. Not saying Marchand doesn't dive but I find it amusing that a thread on CDC about an incident where the recipient of a Marchant hit clearly embellishes the hit turns into yet another hate thread against Marchant even though it is pretty obvious that he barely touches Lundkvist. Suddenly the whole thing is about Marchant's rep which of course would never happen here if it were Burrows involved, right?

To me they are roughly the same player except that Marchand scores a bit more and bites and pulls hair a bit less. Both are rats. Both are highly valued by their teams and score big goals occasionally. Both are pretty much untradeable because they are so disliked by the rest of the league. However Burrows is OUR rat which is, of course, the big difference here.

1 minute ago, thema said:

That really IS interesting. You could literally put the name Burrows in wherever the name Marchand is and it would be about right. Not saying Marchand doesn't dive but I find it amusing that a thread on CDC about an incident where the recipient of a Marchant hit clearly embellishes the hit turns into yet another hate thread against Marchant even though it is pretty obvious that he barely touches Lundkvist. Suddenly the whole thing is about Marchant's rep which of course would never happen here if it were Burrows involved, right?

To me they are roughly the same player except that Marchand scores a bit more and bites and pulls hair a bit less. Both are rats. Both are highly valued by their teams and score big goals occasionally. Both are pretty much untradeable because they are so disliked by the rest of the league. However Burrows is OUR rat which is, of course, the big difference here.

Really? Because  based on the rest of your posts it sounds like Marchand shortens your pants just a little bit.

1 minute ago, Bitter Melon said:

Really? Because  based on the rest of your posts it sounds like Marchand shortens your pants just a little bit.

You gotta show em the hair you know

13 minutes ago, thema said:

You honestly going to compare Burrows to Ratboi. Show me some clips of Burrows diving in the last say 2 seasons? I can find alot of Ratboi. Show me a clip of Burrows throwing a dirty check or attempt to injure a player. I can find some of Ratboi. You're drunk go home. Boston is thata way ------>

19 minutes ago, thema said:

You're rather predictable, you know that? I had to expect you to jump in here at some point and try to turn the focus onto Burrows. It seems to be your thing on these boards. Guess what though. This isn't about Burrows. You're the first one to even mention Burrows. Why are you so obsessed with him?

Perhaps we should turn our attention back to the topic at hand, yes? Enough with these personal hidden agendas. Burrows has nothing to do with this thread.

1 hour ago, thema said:

like how many? Is there a source for these things somewhere?

I don't know if there's a source that breaks down embellishment penalties. I know of sources for other types of penalties (like ESPN) but not that one specifically. A HockeyBuzz post is the closest I've found, but it speaks more to the unfairness of the application of the rule than it provides a definitive answer.

And therein lies the problem. Dives and embellishments aren't always called and some people just get away with them far more than other people while other people seem to be more likely to get called when they didn't dive or embellish. It's incredibly subjective. It's also easier to have a clean record when Daddy Jacobs is helping you get your record cleaned.

That being said, Marchand is known around the league as a diver/embellisher:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1177562-the-worst-divers-in-the-nhl

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2013/04/27/alex-ovechkin-doesnt-appreciate-brad-marchands-diving/

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/canadiens-playoffs-2014/2014/5/1/5671770/most-despicable-boston-bruins-of-all-time-divers-brad-marchand-vs-zdeno-chara

Face it, the dude's a rat. Full stop. And if Burrows did half of what Marchand gets away with he'd be playing in Europe.

29 minutes ago, thema said:

Burrows doesn't constantly try to end the careers of opposing players.  Pretty big difference there.

1 hour ago, thema said:

The big difference is Marchand has a massive history of throwing cheap hits that are suspension worthy and Burrows history of throwing borderline hits like that is tiny in comparison. I'm sorry but biting and hair pulling doesn't even come close comparing to giving people concussions and it's not even debatable. 

2 hours ago, GMJB said:

The big difference is Marchand has a massive history of throwing cheap hits that are suspension worthy and Burrows history of throwing borderline hits like that is tiny in comparison. I'm sorry but biting and hair pulling doesn't even come close comparing to giving people concussions and it's not even debatable. 

Exactly.  Burrows doesn't get the benefit of the doubt because he exposed a corrupt official.  Marchand doesn't because he's a dirty piece of trash.

It was more of a thigh to the head. Lundquist was in his crease and was making a stop.  There is a smidgen of selling it but I'd say it was warranted. A cheap shot by a cheap shot artist.  I think Julien is an idiot for sticking up for Marchand where there is no reason to do it.

Archived