The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

4K TV or 1080HD TV

Squamfan

So i going to buy a TV but cant decide on the 4k or 1080hd. I know there arent any 4k stuff out right now and i know that Shaw does 

have hd but are there gonna be 4k tv channel in the future to watch games. I leaning towards HD but if there a big difference and  4k will have canucks games should i buy that instead. I am moslty going to use it for regular tv use.  Plus LG or Samsung

If possible I wouldn't buy a TV. If you buy an HDTV it will have been succeeded by 4K within a year or two, but if you buy 4K, the content is limited until more is released.

If you HAVE to have a TV soon, I'd go HD.

LG or Samsung? Samsung 110%. LG is a crap company.

Do you care about the quality of the T.V. or the price at the moment?

What kind of T.V. do you have at the moment? Honestly HD is great if you already have it I'd just save the money and buy a 4k T.V. down the road rather then buying one now.

I was in the same position as you but for monitor wise. When I saw the price of 4k T.V.s coming down I knew I'd rather wait couple more months when it becomes more saturated with more 4K T.Vs. driving the price down. 

14 minutes ago, BaerOxHitman said:

If possible I wouldn't buy a TV. If you buy an HDTV it will have been succeeded by 4K within a year or two, but if you buy 4K, the content is limited until more is released.

why i LG crap

Technology advances very fast. 4K is pretty great but the content is extremely limited so you might as well wait. By the time 4K is more regular you will have better options. 

With that said if you have money to blow recklessly go for it. But if this is a big purchase it isn't worth it. Remember what happened with 3D TVs and how early 1080 TVs looked. My dad binged over 3K on a 1080p TV and threw it out a few years later as it was no longer compatible with most advancements xD 

11 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

im gonna wait a few yrs til the technology is like  30k   thetechnology is gonna get crazy   imagine what ipad and iphone and camera tech will be like by 2025. every yr the computer power pretty much doubled

Frankly, I think 4K is the most detail that we will really be able to notice. Anything higher will hardly be perceivable to our eyes. I suspect 4K is the highest that they'll really go for resolution. They may try to go higher, but it's really not necessary.

EDIT: If we're talking 60+ inch screens, then higher than 4k might be useful I suppose, but for monitors that are <30 inches, it's not necessary for sure.

Technology is always improving.  I purchased a 60" 1080p TV last year and there already 4k models with similar size for about the same price.  There's no point in waiting to buy as the above poster mentioned, they'll be coming up with TV able to show more than 4k.

Also, one thing to note is that assuming you're not sitting up front to a huge TV, I don't people are physically capable for seeing the difference between 1080p and 4k.  Much like how people keep buying cameras with like 20+mp... just to show pictures on regular 4x6 or on a cellphone.  A 1mp and less camera can produce the exact same image. 

1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

why i LG crap

Every LG product ive ever purchased (2 phones, a laptop and some smaller ticket items) have been defective or needed factory repair.

Nothing but bad experiences. Their customer support is decent but that's probably because they get a lot of complaints.

55 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Frankly, I think 4K is the most detail that we will really be able to notice. Anything higher will hardly be perceivable to our eyes. I suspect 4K is the highest that they'll really go for resolution. They may try to go higher, but it's really not necessary.

EDIT: If we're talking 60+ inch screens, then higher than 4k might be useful I suppose, but for monitors that are <30 inches, it's not necessary for sure.

im pretty sure theres a 6k prototype already out i read about it. The faster and more  data in a tv means theres more you can do with video edits  especially slomotion   the future means it will only get better  not sure what the  limit is on technology maybe one day we will find out. Theres new technology that you can wear contact lenses than makes your vision as good as a eagle its pretty crazy stuff

4 hours ago, Squamfan said:

55 inch and that close probalby 5 or 6 metre back

Much further than about 2.5m/8' at around +/- 60"screen size, human eyes (even perfect ones) can't even resolve the added resolution of 4k vs 1080p. At 5m or 6m and 55"...you probably wouldn't even be able to notice the difference from a 720p display if you could find one.

Save  your money. 

6 hours ago, BaerOxHitman said:

my lg tv is good...

1080p regardless of size. Right now, like everyone mentioned, 4k content is not mainstream. A lot of cable is still 720p and has not even converted to 1080p. It took 1080p many years to become mainstream, and still many TV channels are 720p like Canucks games.

By the time 4k becomes mainstream, there will be better technologically advanced 4k TVs at a better price too. Right now, buying 4k, you're paying for a feature in the TV that you will not be putting to full use, and will have improvements made upon down the road.

6 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

4k is great, but there's limited content at the moment and the prices are far higher now than they will be a few months down the road.

I'd wait.

well, for black friday you can buy a 43 inch 4k tv for $600. I think black friday is the best day to buy those high end tvs and 4k will eventually become the standard in a few years since there are lots of smart phones and cameras today in the market that shoot 4k and youtube already has 4k option. So its just a matter of when the broadcasters convert to 4k.

4 minutes ago, Ilya Kovalchuk. said:

1080p regardless of size. Right now, like everyone mentioned, 4k content is not mainstream. A lot of cable is still 720p and has not even converted to 1080p. It took 1080p many years to become mainstream, and still many TV channels are 720p like Canucks games.

By the time 4k becomes mainstream, there will be better technologically advanced 4k TVs at a better price too. Right now, buying 4k, you're paying for a feature in the TV that you will not be putting to full use, and will have improvements made upon down the road.

Except if you have the option to buy 4k and 1080p at close to the same price, you choose the 4k tv now not the 1080p so you can have it for 10 or more years. Obviously there will be improvements but the price would reflect that too down the road. You buy TV every 10-15 years anyways so you might as well get the latest model that is able to last that long without it being obsolete. The reason is that people don't change TV's like they do their smartphones every 2 years.

5 hours ago, ajhockey said:

For TVs the next step after 4K is the contrast and that can only be improved using AMOLED or OLED. So companies are probably going to come up with thin, light and energy efficient OLED TVs with high contrast similar to Plasma. It would get to the point where you can just put your TV on the wall like a painting with only a couple of nails holding it up. 

Archived