The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

4K TV or 1080HD TV

Squamfan

11 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Just bought a 65" Samsung 1080P for $1,100 for the basement. Did quite a bit of research, and just couldn't justify paying significantly more for 4K. And although we only sit about 8' away and the 55" was recommended for the distance, am loving the theatre experience so far.

The Samsung model is an entry-level, and has its negatives, but they were all things that weren't important to me (apps are terrible, but use Apple TV anyway; don't use as a computer monitor or do HDR gaming). Whereas on things important to me - low judder and reflections - it scored very well.

But yeah, don't really have sources that are 4k...

Dunno man just saw a bestbuy flyer, 4k's are cheap.

10 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

So this 4k thing may be overhyped?  Inneresting.

But I would have thought that if 4k has about four times the resolution of regular 1080 HD, the difference should be noticeable even on smaller sets.

While we're on the subject, is it true that Telus and Shaw both broadcast in 720?  I've been getting different answers.  If true, then even regular 1080 hi-def tvs aren't being used to their full capacity.  

If you have anything under 50 inch, 4k does make a difference but not as much, but if you have a 65 inch 4k, the difference is MASSIVE. I upgraded to a bigger tv a month ago and put on Tales of the Light in Netflix, its absolutely incredible. On a big tv, you start to see the fine details that you wouldn't see on a 1080p smaller screen, like the shine coming out the of scalps, little skin imperfections, details on the environment. If I were to suggest to anyone whos gonna go for 4k, 60 inch should be bare minimum in size.

I think they Shaw and Telus still broadcast in 720p, 1080i, it also depends on the show and channel.

11 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Really good points.  Never even heard of OTA before.  I do watch a lot of youtube on my ps4, and that's good to know too, although I probably wont be going 4k right away.  I think the misses would kill me

Over the Air has been around for a long time, I definetely recommend getting one, they range from 10$ and up. The quality is a step up from the cable boxes, and is worth the investment. I got cable this year (telus gave me a deal i couldnt refuse, I was cableless for 2 years) and I still tune in to the OTA broadcast simply because the quality is much much sharper

8 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Over the Air has been around for a long time, I definetely recommend getting one, they range from 10$ and up. The quality is a step up from the cable boxes, and is worth the investment. I got cable this year (telus gave me a deal i couldnt refuse, I was cableless for 2 years) and I still tune in to the OTA broadcast simply because the quality is much much sharper

I'll look into this now, thanks.  If you dont mind, how good of a deal did you get through Telus?  

13 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I'll look into this now, thanks.  If you dont mind, how good of a deal did you get through Telus?  

75$ , essentials and 6 theme packs, and 50 mb internet for 12 months no contract. Even if you don't have a 4k tv, REQUEST the 4k box, its got double the power of their old boxes so switching channels and browsing through the guide is much faster

12 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

75$ , essentials and 6 theme packs, and 50 mb internet for 12 months no contract. Even if you don't have a 4k tv, REQUEST the 4k box, its got double the power of their old boxes so switching channels and browsing through the guide is much faster

That is a VERY good deal!  How long ago did you get it?

(BTW: does it include your phone?)

On 3/13/2017 at 1:56 PM, UnkNuk said:

That is a VERY good deal!  How long ago did you get it?

(BTW: does it include your phone?)

Nope, I don't have a landline or a telus cell, just internet and tv. I got it over the summer. Im sure if you threatened to cancel, they'd offer you up a deal. Shaw and Telus are really neck and neck in getting customers since a lot of people are starting to go cable less so you got a pretty good chance on landing the same deal or close at least

On 28/11/2015 at 8:51 PM, J.R. said:

Much further than about 2.5m/8' at around +/- 60"screen size, human eyes (even perfect ones) can't even resolve the added resolution of 4k vs 1080p. At 5m or 6m and 55"...you probably wouldn't even be able to notice the difference from a 720p display if you could find one.

Save  your money. 

I have no trouble telling if content is 4K or HD on my 55".  Akin to the difference between BluRay vs DVD.

It also was not very expensive.  Mine is basically a step below OLED and was about $900.

Just now, SamJamIam said:

I have no trouble telling if content is 4K or HD on my 55".  Akin to the difference between BluRay vs DVD.

It also was not very expensive.  Mine is basically a step below OLED and was about $900.

...and how close are you sitting?

17 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Nope, I don't have a landline or a telus cell, just internet and tv. I got it over the summer. Im sure if you threatened to cancel, they'd offer you up a deal. Shaw and Telus are really neck and neck in getting customers since a lot of people are starting to go cable less so you got a pretty good chance on landing the same deal or close at least

Thing is, I thought I got a good deal from Telus when I signed a two year contract this last December.  And it wasn't bad.  But apparently it could have been better..

Prior to that, I had my landline with Telus and my internet and tv with Shaw (on a monthly plan).  I was paying around $200 a month for all three services.

With the deal Telus offered, I figure I'm going to save about $1000 to $1500 over the two year term.  Which is good.  But, again, not as good as the deal you got.

First I find out here that my new 4k tv isn't really that much of an upgrade on a regular hi-def tv.   And then I find out my Telus deal isn't as good as it could have been..

BAH!

One other thing - I have the same Telus package as you - essentials and six theme packs - and it should be said that I got more channels with Shaw than I now do with Telus.  The good thing is that I don't miss most of the channels I used to get on Shaw as I didn't watch them anyways.  But it's something to keep in mind for anyone who is reading this and is thinking of switching.  With their huge fibre optic installation going on in Vancouver, if a Telus rep hasn't come to your door yet, he will be soon.  I was happy with my Shaw service and I'm happy with Telus.  But as filthycanuck has pointed out, there are deals to be had with the competition between them.

5 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

First I find out here that my new 4k tv isn't really that much of an upgrade on a regular hi-def tv.   And then I find out my Telus deal isn't as good as it could have been..

Dont worry, same thing happened to me.  Figured Id stick with Telus anyways so the 2 year deal didn't seem so bad, but @filthycanuck got one hell of a deal with good flexibility.  

Sometimes I wish I was more into hardball negotiating :(

12 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Dont worry, same thing happened to me.  Figured Id stick with Telus anyways so the 2 year deal didn't seem so bad, but @filthycanuck got one hell of a deal with good flexibility.  

Sometimes I wish I was more into hardball negotiating :(

That's what I was thinking.

Maybe if filthycanuck isn't doing anything in December 2018 he can come and negotiate my next deal.

On 12/03/2017 at 3:52 AM, filthycanuck said:

I notice Amazon sells indoor OTAs with different ranges - 25 miles, 50 miles etc.  

Do you (or anyone else) know whether the different ranges would have much of an impact in Vancouver?

Thanks.

5 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

I notice Amazon sells indoor OTAs with different ranges - 25 miles, 50 miles etc.  

Do you (or anyone else) know whether the different ranges would have much of an impact in Vancouver?

Thanks.

No difference as long as you point them on the general direction of the broadcast towers. All the Canadian towers are on mt. seymour so 25 mile range is plenty. You'd probably get about 8 channels, but they are basically the essentials like City TV, CBC, Onmni, most of the popular prime time shows are carried on those channels as well as all the local news. If pointing south, theres not many usa towers you can get since most of them are way past 50 mile range.. you'd probably have to invest on those super fancy long range outdoor antennas that you have to stick on your roof.

6 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Thing is, I thought I got a good deal from Telus when I signed a two year contract this last December.  And it wasn't bad.  But apparently it could have been better..

Prior to that, I had my landline with Telus and my internet and tv with Shaw (on a monthly plan).  I was paying around $200 a month for all three services.

With the deal Telus offered, I figure I'm going to save about $1000 to $1500 over the two year term.  Which is good.  But, again, not as good as the deal you got.

BAH!

One other thing - I have the same Telus package as you - essentials and six theme packs - and it should be said that I got more channels with Shaw than I now do with Telus.  The good thing is that I don't miss most of the channels I used to get on Shaw as I didn't watch them anyways.  But it's something to keep in mind for anyone who is reading this and is thinking of switching.  With their huge fibre optic installation going on in Vancouver, if a Telus rep hasn't come to your door yet, he will be soon.  I was happy with my Shaw service and I'm happy with Telus.  But as filthycanuck has pointed out, there are deals to be had with the competition between them.

I think it was also timing, I got my deal in the summer when sales are slow when all the shows are on vacation, no hockey, no nfl, and its vacation time so that might play a factor into me getting a deal. Its same as other items like phones and electronics going on sale on black friday or superbowl week

Archived