The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Any Cigar Smokers In Here?

Bocivus

2 hours ago, slickjim23 said:

Vape bruh

Arguably one of the lamest tends of all time.

i believe a poster said it before;

the he reason everyone started smoking was to look cool.  And vaping does not look cool.

Anyway,

i smoke the odd cigar on special occasions, especially around this time of year after great meals and with good liquor.  I'm not into really strong cigars as I'm a casual smoker At most.

when I'm camping, in the bush, I enjoy "backwoods" cigars.  They come in a soft pack.  They look exactly like the cigars smoked by Clint Eastwood in his spaghetti western films. I'm a huge fan of those movies but honestly my enjoyment of those specific cigars is coincidental.  They taste great and can be smoked without interrupting what you may be doing at the time.

3 hours ago, Bocivus said:

I was just curious to see if their were any cigar connoisseurs/smokers in here.  Maybe discuss favorites, every-days, and terrible sticks you've come across. 

Hey Bocivus...nice thread.

Used to be a regular cigar smoker in the late 90s when in some fine establishments, cigars were part of the after-dinner menu (and you were actually allowed to smoke).  My cigars of choice were Cohiba Esplendidos and Montecristo No.3 (Coronas).  I liked the cigars that were about 140mm to 145mm or slightly bigger because of the way they tasted for the first 2/3 of the burn.  I didn't like the bottom third of the cigar because it started to burn too hot and that affected the taste.  And as smoking regulations came to be, I found myself enjoying cigars on the golf course, which was good because once you light up a cigar, your committed to it for an hour or so (so good on a golf course).

I even had the occasion to meet a fella in Nassau who claimed to be Fidel Castro's personal cigar roller...take that one with a grain of salt.

I stopped for a few reasons - the first was fewer and fewer places to smoke without offending someone...the second, my wife hated them and so when I was courting her, it was something I refrained from when we went out (and she thought I was ridiculous when we were out with our friends...she said we looked like a bunch of dudes giving blow jobs)...and in and around 2011, I got violently ill from a night of drunken debauchery that included copious amounts of alcohol and cigars, so I went cold turkey and haven't had a drink or smoke since August 2011.

I'll try to smuggle some of my past favorites when my wife and I ever get down to DC to visit ya.

But when it comes to cigars, beware of Dominican fakes...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqQIm-AtsXs

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Wouldn't call myself an expert by any means but the best cigar I ever smoked was a cohiba fresh off the factory line in havana. Pretty much the only cigar I have smoked since I brought a box home. I have had the odd romeo and juliet/montecristo but the cohiba wins

How did the Cohiba light?  Did you find it to be too moist?  Top third must have been hard to draw from...did you get to see the Cuban ladies work the roll with their thighs?  Sounds like an interesting tour you were on. 

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Wouldn't call myself an expert by any means but the best cigar I ever smoked was a cohiba fresh off the factory line in havana. Pretty much the only cigar I have smoked since I brought a box home. I have had the odd romeo and juliet/montecristo but the cohiba wins

I've had a Cuban Cohiba myself.  Very nice smoke.  That and the Cuban Bolivar.

51 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Hey Bocivus...nice thread.

Used to be a regular cigar smoker in the late 90s when in some fine establishments, cigars were part of the after-dinner menu (and you were actually allowed to smoke).  My cigars of choice were Cohiba Esplendidos and Montecristo No.3 (Coronas).  I liked the cigars that were about 140mm to 145mm or slightly bigger because of the way they tasted for the first 2/3 of the burn.  I didn't like the bottom third of the cigar because it started to burn too hot and that affected the taste.  And as smoking regulations came to be, I found myself enjoying cigars on the golf course, which was good because once you light up a cigar, your committed to it for an hour or so (so good on a golf course).

I even had the occasion to meet a fella in Nassau who claimed to be Fidel Castro's personal cigar roller...take that one with a grain of salt.

I stopped for a few reasons - the first was fewer and fewer places to smoke without offending someone...the second, my wife hated them and so when I was courting her, it was something I refrained from when we went out (and she thought I was ridiculous when we were out with our friends...she said we looked like a bunch of dudes giving blow jobs)...and in and around 2011, I got violently ill from a night of drunken debauchery that included copious amounts of alcohol and cigars, so I went cold turkey and haven't had a drink or smoke since August 2011.

I'll try to smuggle some of my past favorites when my wife and I ever get down to DC to visit ya.

But when it comes to cigars, beware of Dominican fakes...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqQIm-AtsXs

Yeah, man.  It seems like more and more places are getting to be that way.  Luckily for me, I have a nice cigar lounge about 5 min from the house or I can do the usual and set up my zero gravity chair, a table, and some tunes on the back porch.  The weather is starting to get a bit cold for that so I've moved to the garage.  I got lucky as my wife will occasionally join me for a smoke and a drink if she's had a stressful day or is just in a relaxing mood.  Then of course, my dog always wants me to throw the ball for him if I'm on the back porch which I always give into.  :lol:

I'm not a golfer but my best bud is.  He keeps trying to get me out there to play.  Maybe I'll take him up on that and bring a few sticks with me. 

That's funny that your wife said that! 

Can't go wrong with a Cohiba or a Montecristo.  The Montecrisco Media Noche is awesome!  I just had my first one of those about 2 weeks ago and am expecting the UPS man to drop of a 10 pack this week. 

I'll be checking out that video too.  Thanks.  And yeah, if you ever make it out this way, bring a few if you want, or not.  My humidor is never empty!

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Anyone have any really great pairings?  My fave so far is the Trinidad Reyes with a Glenfarclas 15.

Not anything specific yet but I'll post it if I do.  I find a glass of honey whiskey on the rocks compliments most of the sticks quite nicely though.

3 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

How did the Cohiba light?  Did you find it to be too moist?  Top third must have been hard to draw from...did you get to see the Cuban ladies work the roll with their thighs?  Sounds like an interesting tour you were on. 

It was about 5 years ago... It was certainly moist but not unsmokable, it certainly took a while to burn down - i only smoked about 60% of it.

It was an awesome tour. we toured the factory in havana and went through every step of the cigar making process. From prepping the leaves to the rolling tables. It was fascinating. It was actually a mix of women and men on the production line. I was 19 at the time but thoroughly enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend it if you ever find yourself in havana. I will do the same tour again if I am ever back

2 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

It was about 5 years ago... It was certainly moist but not unsmokable, it certainly took a while to burn down - i only smoked about 60% of it.

It was an awesome tour. we toured the factory in havana and went through every step of the cigar making process. From prepping the leaves to the rolling tables. It was fascinating. It was actually a mix of women and men on the production line. I was 19 at the time but thoroughly enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend it if you ever find yourself in havana. I will do the same tour again if I am ever back

Probably a nice, slow, even burn...conversations like this makes me miss my drinking and smoking days. 

Thanks for sharing your experience.  Very cool.

4 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:
4 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

It was an awesome tour. we toured the factory in havana and went through every step of the cigar making process. From prepping the leaves to the rolling tables. It was fascinating. It was actually a mix of women and men on the production line. I was 19 at the time but thoroughly enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend it if you ever find yourself in havana. I will do the same tour again if I am ever 

Yeah, definitely, thanks for sharing.  I'm quite jealous!   

I'm sitting in my garage right now with the door open looking at my neighbor's house with Christmas lights, smoking an Oliva Serie V with a glass of honey whiskey.  Nothing more relaxing.  I'm going to sleep good tonight!

Archived