The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Jordan Schroeder

25 minutes ago, BanTSN said:

I wonder why he hasn't developed as a scorer at any level.

The Chicago Wolves era did wonders in ruining prospects. 

It feels that Schroeder was typecast into something he wasn't.  The Canucks at the time expected Henrik and Kesler to be around forever, thus the only opening was the 3rd and 4th line centre spots.  So they decided to try to convert Schroeder into more of a checking centre, except he's a bit small.... so no hopes unless he can convert to wing. 

He's not much of a winger, except when he was playing with Hodgson, so he probably needed a very skilled centre as a set-up guy.  Nobody down at the farm could have filled that role once CoHo was gone... so he just bounced around. 

JS is a scorer and thus needs to be in a scoring position to succeed.  AV wouldn't give some upstart an offensive opportunity, and Torts expected Schroeder to be more truculent. 

9 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

The Chicago Wolves era did wonders in ruining prospects. 

It feels that Schroeder was typecast into something he wasn't.  The Canucks at the time expected Henrik and Kesler to be around forever, thus the only opening was the 3rd and 4th line centre spots.  So they decided to try to convert Schroeder into more of a checking centre, except he's a bit small.... so no hopes unless he can convert to wing. 

He's not much of a winger, except when he was playing with Hodgson, so he probably needed a very skilled centre as a set-up guy.  Nobody down at the farm could have filled that role once CoHo was gone... so he just bounced around. 

JS is a scorer and thus needs to be in a scoring position to succeed.  AV wouldn't give some upstart an offensive opportunity, and Torts expected Schroeder to be more truculent. 

I would have developed Schroeder as a scoring center, then have had Kesler to be a checking center, giving us 3 tremendous lines.  However Schroeder never really went anywhere in any regard.

Actually I wouldn't have drafted him to begin with. 

58 minutes ago, BanTSN said:

I wonder why he hasn't developed as a scorer at any level.

He zones up and waits for a puck to pop free. Versus going headlong at high speed into any battle like, say, a Gallagher.

Even worse, he's a puck handler. But he'll rotate the puck instead of challenging himself to beat his man any time pressure comes to him.

It leaves him useful only in open ice?

Archived