The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Smokeless tobacco

Sean Monahan

I felt inspired by the cigar thread made in the last day or two, so any smokeless tobacco users on cdc? I'm in the process of quitting (third time, but it will last this time) but I've gotta say, I'm only quitting cause I know it's bad for me. For the baseball fans out there, Tony Gwynn's death is what did it for me. I will say, however,  that I do thoroughly enjoy it which is what's making quitting so hard.

For dips I'm not picky. Cope preferably but I'll take others if I have to. Generally I stick to flavourless or minimal flavour (straight, cope long, southern blend, etc) and long cut, though I don't mind a snuff/fine cut/etc. I'm not a huge leaf guy but I do enjoy some Redman or the butter flavour that's made by either Levi Garrett or Beechnut (can't remember which).

So are there any other chewers out there or am I alone in this nasty habit?

and as a note, before any females tell me how unattractive it is, my only girlfriend didn't like it but didn't care as long as it wasn't around her so ha.

I quit back in Sept 2010.  I chewed for 13 years.  It was one of the hardest things I've ever done.   Gobstoppers, sun flower seeds, starburst, skittles you name it, I was eating it to try to keep my mind off the chew.  I started late in high school when I played baseball for my high school then took a bit of a break on the off - season to start full time back up in the spring.  And once I joined the military it was THEE thing to do in Tech-School, after basic training when you were allowed to have tobacco products.  You'd think after 8 weeks of no chew I would have not started again but when you're in the dorms with nothing to do or in the field training/sitting around with no electronics or anything to entertain you, it was something a lot of people did.

There's nothing like poppin' a dip in the morning to get that buzz going to start your day.  I went back and forth between Kodiak Wintergreen and Skoal Natural and occasionally cherry.  I could never do the fine cut because I could never get it to stay compact in my lip. 

I never cared what the women thought of it, to be honest.  I mean, don't get me wrong, it is a disgusting habit.  Carrying a "dip cup" or spit bottle around isn't the most pleasant thing to see but I had a "whatever" attitude.  I know my previous girlfriends didn't care for it but they accepted that I did it and that was that.  I would just make sure to keep it on my side of the couch or bed and do a half turn away while spitting and keep it quiet because I did want to be respectful about it.  They usually got over it and all of them would even kiss me while I had a dip in.  I think it's just a vice that sooner or later they will accept.  But maybe I just got lucky.  Hell, my wife will occasionally smoke a cigar with me if she's had a long/stressful day. 

I was hesitant to smoke cigars at first because I thought if I got a nicotine buzz I'd instantly be hooked again.  I finally gave into my temptation and found that I can have a cigar a day, sometimes 3-4 a week and be just fine.  Although every now and then, even before I started smoking cigars, I would get that desire to grab can of Kodiak, but I never did and probably never will.  

Good thread, btw. 

Quitting is just too hard. My first time quitting was in the fall of 2012 when I was 19. I had a bad concussion and would end up taking a medical redshirt year and not really spend any time around the field or the game. It was the perfect time to quit cause baseball was the source of a lot of my craving triggers (batting practice, bus rides, etc). As soon as I got back into baseball in May 2013 I was back into chew. I quit again about a year ago and picked it up again after a really sh*tty couple days and the opportunity to get cheap American cans back in july. I've been weening myself off lately, something I haven't tried before, and my current can is planned to be my last. 

I actually plan to have my last dip tonight during the canucks game lol. For me, certain things really spark the craving. Baseball, long drives, homework (still a student), and video games/watching tv are my real killers. I can only imagine the cravings you'd get while you were sitting around in tech school. I've read that chew contains significantly more nicotine than smokes and it's more addictive due to the stronger oral cessation.

Yeah, quitting is EXTREMELY hard.  As you said, it's supposedly more addicting than smokes because the higher nicotine and the length of time one can enjoy a chew.  I think I averaged 45 min or so, sometimes a lot longer, sometimes shorter.  Nobody will ever understand the challenge it is to quite until they've chewed for quite length of time. 

I can relate to the triggers, man.  The drive to work was probably the worst for me.  Video games/TV (UFC fights, hockey) a close second.  And not doubt a sh*tty day will trigger a craving.  That "cheap American can"?  Is tobacco more expensive in Canada?  Or do you mean getting a cheap can of Grizzly or something?

I wish you luck in quitting, man.  You know what it takes so hopefully you'll stick to it this time.  Maybe down the road learn to enjoy a good quality cigar!  ::D

Dipped a little last year and stopped before I got addicted.  I liked skoal because of the flavours.  I also enjoyed redman a little.  I stopped because when I tried doing Grizzly long cut and Copenhagen wintergreen I did not get a head buzz, so I just dropped it all together because of that.

43 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I'm also a smoker I became addicted to nicotine from dipping during my hockey days.  Copenhagen wintergreen was my dip of choice, Skoal straight would be my plan B.  I don't like all that berry flavored crap.  I can't dip anymore because of my acid reflux disease (wicked bad heartburn) but man I could go for a dip rigghhhttt about noooww.

But man, 23 bucks a tin!!!!????  Back in the Jr B days the American kids would get there moms to smuggle us up logs, them muricans pay 2.25 per tin.... 10 bucks a log (5 tins)

Copenhagen wintergreen ruined chewing gum for me for a while, the berry flavours are pretty good though.

5 hours ago, Bocivus said:

Yeah, quitting is EXTREMELY hard.  As you said, it's supposedly more addicting than smokes because the higher nicotine and the length of time one can enjoy a chew.  I think I averaged 45 min or so, sometimes a lot longer, sometimes shorter.  Nobody will ever understand the challenge it is to quite until they've chewed for quite length of time. 

I can relate to the triggers, man.  The drive to work was probably the worst for me.  Video games/TV (UFC fights, hockey) a close second.  And not doubt a sh*tty day will trigger a craving.  That "cheap American can"?  Is tobacco more expensive in Canada?  Or do you mean getting a cheap can of Grizzly or something?

I wish you luck in quitting, man.  You know what it takes so hopefully you'll stick to it this time.  Maybe down the road learn to enjoy a good quality cigar!  ::D

Yes! Almost forgot about the morning drive to work, that's a killer.

And yeah it's crazy expensive here. In Vancouver, BC it's about $25 per can, give or take a dollar depending where you're buying. I live just like 15-20 minutes north of the border though, and there's a native reserve about 15 minutes south of the border that sells really cheap chew. Like $12 for a log (or a roll, sleeve, whatever you call 5 cans). 

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

I'm also a smoker I became addicted to nicotine from dipping during my hockey days.  Copenhagen wintergreen was my dip of choice, Skoal straight would be my plan B.  I don't like all that berry flavored crap.  I can't dip anymore because of my acid reflux disease (wicked bad heartburn) but man I could go for a dip rigghhhttt about noooww.

But man, 23 bucks a tin!!!!????  Back in the Jr B days the American kids would get there moms to smuggle us up logs, them muricans pay 2.25 per tin.... 10 bucks a log (5 tins)

Like BoKnows said I really can't do the Cope wintergreen. I chewed that exclusively for the first year or so that I chewed and now just the smell makes me sick.

$25 a can?????  Holy sh*t!!!!!  That it ridiculously expensive.  I think a can of premiumy cut (skoal, cope, kodiak) is around $4-$5 here in the states.  I haven't bought can in years but I think I was paying about $15 a log.  Why is it so expensive up there?  

1 hour ago, Edlerberry said:

tobacco... its like weed, except more carcinogenic, more addictive, more detrimental to health and provides no benefit other than making you cravings go away - and it doesnt get you high.

what am i missing

For me, a big part of it is the legality and acceptance.   I get tested at work for weed so I can't do it.  It's funny though how something so carcinogenic and addictive can "legal"  it something that had HUGE potential as medicine and enlightenment is illegal.  Makes one wonder....  

18 minutes ago, Bocivus said:

$25 a can?????  Holy sh*t!!!!!  That it ridiculously expensive.  I think a can of premiumy cut (skoal, cope, kodiak) is around $4-$5 here in the states.  I haven't bought can in years but I think I was paying about $15 a log.  Why is it so expensive up there?  

Well all of our smokeless tobacco comes from the states so it's taxed just on import. A few years ago some sort of health tax was implemented that upped the price on tobacco products too.

16 minutes ago, Bocivus said:

For me, a big part of it is the legality and acceptance.   I get tested at work for weed so I can't do it.  It's funny though how something so carcinogenic and addictive can "legal"  it something that had HUGE potential as medicine and enlightenment is illegal.  Makes one wonder....  

Not much longer now, and weed will be legal.  Our new Prime Minister is a (was?) a user.  There are a lot of prescribed medications you can take that will give you the same "feeling" if you wish.  Try phenobarbital.

9 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Well all of our smokeless tobacco comes from the states so it's taxed just on import. A few years ago some sort of health tax was implemented that upped the price on tobacco products too.

I see.  Taxes suck. Hopefully after tonight you won't have to worry about that though.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Not much longer now, and weed will be legal.  Our new Prime Minister is a (was?) a user.  There are a lot of prescribed medications you can take that will give you the same "feeling" if you wish.  Try phenobarbital.

Yeah, I'm hoping for the same thing here in the states.  Prescribed medications are expensive and have even to be legalized through a doctor.  I'm more interested in the benefits of weed/THC/hemp than I am for merely the feeling. 

31 minutes ago, Bocivus said:

Yeah, I'm hoping for the same thing here in the states.  Prescribed medications are expensive and have even to be legalized through a doctor.  I'm more interested in the benefits of weed/THC/hemp than I am for merely the feeling. 

My point is almost all of our medications come from one plan or another.  Used properly, they can be very beneficial.  One can choose morphine or heroine.  It's the same with marijuana.  There are benefits if used properly, and negatives if not.  Personally, I think everything from tobacco to exctasy should be sold in Government Candy stores, where they can be properly taxed.  It's a person's choice to partake.  

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

My point is almost all of our medications come from one plan or another.  Used properly, they can be very beneficial.  One can choose morphine or heroine.  It's the same with marijuana.  There are benefits if used properly, and negatives if not.  Personally, I think everything from tobacco to exctasy should be sold in Government Candy stores, where they can be properly taxed.  It's a person's choice to partake.  

I agree with everything except the government regulating and taxing them.  But I'm sure you already knew that.  :P

16 minutes ago, Bocivus said:

I agree with everything except the government regulating and taxing them.  But I'm sure you already knew that.  :P

There's definitely some pros to having th government do that. Safer drugs, national revenue generated, the list goes on. Drug safety is a big one with the uptick in fentanyl -related deaths, at least around here. 

My dad is actually a detective of organized crime and while not a stoner himself he's strongly in favour of legalizing weed. In his opinion they're pretty much wasting valuable time and money tying to combat pot. I don't think we'll ever get rid of drugs completely so for something like pot (don't have stats onme but kills practically nobody) so you way as well reap some rewards from it.

Archived