The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Ducks 4, Vancouver 0

TheRussianRocket.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

That will be Horvat laughing at you soon enough Kesler, so keep beaking, but you're a guy that's never won a damn thing.

That would have been more effective if Getzlaf wasn't front and center in the Team Canada pic.

10 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

That would have been more effective if Getzlaf wasn't front and center in the Team Canada pic.

Explain.

Btw, what do Iginla and Getzlaf have in common (add Perry in the mix as well)?

[They all jumped at the opportunity to punch Kesler in face]

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Virtanen gets cross checked in the ribs and injured.

Horvat gets a bullying from Kesler.

McCann gets ragdolled by Getzlaf.

I hope WD takes the veterans aside and rips them for this. Pretty disgraceful when you leave the future of your organization out there on their own. McCann shouldn't have to throw punches at Getzlaf as he's getting up from the ice, he should be skating away as Prust is pumelling Getzlaf's face in and taking a 10 minute misconduct. Get suspended, you're a pathetic 4th line winger, that's your job. Police this crap or get scratched.

I seriously hope we have time to call up Gaunce or Grenier for the next game and send a message to some of these veterans.

Prust wasn't even on the ice when McCann and Getzlaf were tussling each other. Hell, I'm sure Prust wanted to do something about it but after that play, I don't think he was on the ice whenever Getzlaf was on the ice.

I think 3 coaches in 3 years would be a bad decision. I don't think WD has done a great job this year, but I don't think firing him would make the situation better. 

If at season's end, he's still coaching at a similar level to that of the start of the year, I could see the Canucks "quietly" letting him go in the off-season and having Green replace him.

I think the team will turn it around a bit though, after Sutter gets back and again with Hutton returns. Sutter represents .5 PPG, a C for the 2nd PP, a faceoff weapon and solid defensive abilities—clearly something the Canucks need. Hutton obviously was looking great to start the year and can eat all the Weber minutes+. Horvat should also get better as the year progresses. 

Even if the Canucks miss the playoffs, if they end the season well I could see Desjardins kept.

7 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

Prust wasn't even on the ice when McCann and Getzlaf were tussling each other. Hell, I'm sure Prust wanted to do something about it but after that play, I don't think he was on the ice whenever Getzlaf was on the ice.

A minor detail Apple Juice.  You're interfering with the narrative.

As is the fact that the "pathetic fourth liner" wouldn't have taken a 10 minute misconduct as suggested in DownUnder's version of reality,  he'd have taken a 10 game suspension for leaving the bench.

Now Gaunce would have set Getzlaf straight.  Call him up.  And look out L.A!  

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We've lost Kesler and Bieksa, replace them with a relatively soft and short Bartkowski and Prust. You'd think Prust and Dorsett are enough up front, with a pretty mean Sbisa on the back-end, but they're not.

Bartkowski threw a big hit on Cogliano on Cogliano's next shift after that incident with Dorsett before the commercial break on the offside and that shut up Cogliano for the rest of the game. (granted it was about 5 or 6 minutes left).

1 minute ago, Apple Juice said:

Bartkowski threw a big hit on Cogliano on Cogliano's next shift after that incident with Dorsett before the commercial break on the offside and that shut up Cogliano for the rest of the game. (granted it was about 5 or 6 minutes left).

I saw that, and I thought "at last, someone does something". But it was obviously way too late at that point. They have to play better tomorrow. 

This was just an away game where Anaheim does what they do. They set a physical tone and then also beat you with skill. They are a big heavy skilled team who can only be beaten with more skill and speed. Again a theme here. The Canucks are withering in all these areas. Right now we are a 1 line team who can't win face offs or get puck possession back. Our formerly gritty forecheckers like Burr, Higgins, and Hansen are no longer gritty and they need to be a little heavier to become effective. The team knows this is a mulligan year. I can even tell the effort is half there. Let's just let it ride, guys.

2 hours ago, nucksnavsfan said:

I hope they get an earful about their 'non response' to the cheap shots etc and also hear some of the media comments, maybe then they will come out with a response tomorrow 

If the coach has to tell a room of veteran NHLers how to look after each other, this team is farther gone than it looks.  One of the most embarrassing and down-right disgusting displays by a pro sport team I have seen.  Bloody gutless and  disgusting!! Complete Fart Batter.

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

We're a .500 club now!

9-9-7 and a goal differential of 0.

And we are out of a play off spot!

On the plus side...it will get better.

9 wins and 16 losses is .500 to you? The Canucks have won 9 times in 25 games, how can anyone thinks that this team is a .500 team?? Yes the sum of the overtime plus shoot-out plus regulation wins equals the number of regulation losses, so what! It's still 9 wins and 16 losses.

55 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

i hope JB came storming down after the game and smacked the f out of him and sent him a one way ticket to Utica. 

Stop with the over reaction. If JB reacted that way, he would not be a GM in the NHL. You need to calm down.

1 hour ago, Salmonberries said:

I disagree, I don`t think he`s fully developed skill wise. We seem to be priming him for a bottom six role this way. I`d rather let him develop offensively in his own age group and then play in the AHL until he`s actually ready to make a contribution here.

I`d have held Horvat and McCann back one more year too and I would have started Hutton in Utica this year. Better all around if guys earn their spots..

You have to ask yourself, where would the Canucks be now without Horvat??? How can anyone make even an implied negative comment about the future Canucks captain.

1 hour ago, singing chef said:

VERY disheartened that there was no push back from the Canucks this evening, except for McCann.  After Virtanen got cross-checked in the ribs by Getzlaf, I would have expected a Dorsett or Prust "hello".  And then, when McCann got cross-checked by Kesler, no-one stepped up.  These are rookies who are being targetted;  someone HAS to respond.  Good on McCann for showing toughness by going back at Getzlaf, showing no fear despite giving up about 50 lbs. He's a keeper.  The vets should be ashamed of themselves and I hope that Stan Smyl lets them know.  Look for a nasty game tomorrow vs L.A.   There will be toughness evident, book it. 

This team has been disinterested and spiraling downward since 2011.  No heart or intensity and certainly no identity.  They have moments where they look like a hockey team but for a long time the writing has been on the wall. Too many passengers and too much comfort..no hunger and based on tonight, not much pride or team spirit either.

I can stand watching them lose if they play hard and the kids are being brought along correctly but watching this garbage and seeing McCann having to stand up for himself while all our vets and enforcers crawl away and hide makes my stomach turn. I've seen enough of the Edler and Higgins show, the Weber incompetence, the $6M goalie that lets in one stinker per game and tonight, our
character guys" Prust and Dorsett get out-hit by Hank.  

I feel like throwing up.

2 hours ago, vladimirpuck said:

The players seem to be tuning Willie out. Tonight's game against the Ducks was horrible, no energy, no enthusiasm, even John Garrett said they looked tired. You can blame the players but you can't replace all of them, there's one person you can replace though and that's Willie. Nobody man upped, they just let the Ducks push them around, it's the coach's responsibility to motivate these guys, push these guys, force these guys to be responsible for their actions, etc. I think Willie has been trying but it's not getting through to them this season.

Why don't you say outloud: you know better thanTrevor and JB  what it takes to win in the NHL. You would chose the right coach.

2 hours ago, chickenman92 said:

Good on Jared for showing more character and leadership then the the whole lot of them. Benning should kick the door in, slap each vet across the face and say if the skinniest guy on the team is willing to mix it up, what the heck is wrong with the rest of you guys?

As others have pointed out, right now the Benning plan to develop young players "in a winning environment" with guys who are "culture carriers" and "protect the young guys" is not looking so good.

It might be time for Benning to have a talk with the players and play "tough cop". I don't think Willie can be the tough cop. He is more of a supportive developmental guy.

But, as I wrote in the GDT, the Canucks' talent level is not that high. To be consistently competitive Miller would have to be great (as he was in first part of the season) and we would need another legitimate top 4 D, and we need more secondary scoring. Still, tonight's game was an embarrassment. I expect the Canucks to look better against LA. I would like to see Pedan get a chance to play. I would play him instead of Weber. Weber is just too small and soft, and does not make up for it with good positional play.

I'm alright if the Canucks decide to stink up the joint to a top 5 draft pick. I'm alright if the Canucks wanna blood and guts their way to the playoffs. But this "win one-lose one-OT one-finish 9th in the west" is without a doubt the worst possible outcome for the season.

look Willie and management are making epic bonehead mistakes early. First, tonight was a perfect chance to see what Pedan can do agaisnt but nopeeeeeeee I will just play Weber lol second, management has a giant player named Griener who can fit the role of a 4th liner,but nope lets trade for PRUST LOL, third, lets keep the core together? Fourth, Higgins is still on this team, list goes on,.

Willie continue to use plugs on powerplay units, skill is denied. list goes on both sides are making big mistakes, oh well. dumber mistakes by  management were not trading Vrbata or Hamuis at the draft. 

1 hour ago, HC20.0 said:

The Good: 

Higgins-McCann-Vrbata looked great tonight. Showing good chemistry.

Cracknell. Great game.

Putting the 4th line on the PP. No, I am not joking. That was WD sending a message to the special teams, and a well earned message at that. Plus they almost scored.

The Bad:

Literally everything else. Easily Horvat's worst game as a Canucks, the Twins and Hansen didn't do anything all night except for maybe one or two chances, Dorsett and Prust were brutal, the second line was terrible, Miller had a few good saves especially early, but still a poor night for him, the defense was outstandingly bad, nobody stood up for Virtanen or McCann, or anybody else, the special teams were atrocious, everyone got injured, and there was no effort period that entire game. Worst game of the season by a mile, and that is saying a lot because that 4-3 loss to the Habs was brutal. I hope Willie just rips this team a new one. That game was inexcusable.Even though this team is bad, that was Oilers level bad. NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Good analysis, although maybe a bit tough. But I am glad someone else noticed how badly Horvat played. There were several mistakes on the first goal, but the biggest mistake was Horvat just not being able to handle his check. It has been a disappointing year for Horvat. Maybe he was getting overhyped after a pretty good season last year.

But I would not be too hard on the Sedins with Hansen. They have been remarkably good for the last three weeks and, at age 35, there is no way the Sedins can be on top of their game every night.

2 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

look Willie and management are making epic bonehead mistakes early. First, tonight was a perfect chance to see what Pedan can do agaisnt but nopeeeeeeee I will just play Weber lol second, management has a giant player named Griener who can fit the role of a 4th liner,but nope lets trade for PRUST LOL, third, lets keep the core together? Fourth, Higgins is still on this team, list goes on,.

Willie continue to use plugs on powerplay units, skill is denied. list goes on both sides are making big mistakes, oh well.

Using plugs on the PP is always meant as a message to the skill players that they are sucking.

Archived