The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edmonton Oilers Race to 5th First Overall Pick in 7 Years

guntrix

With every passing game, it seems like the Oilers will be in the mix for the first overall again. Even with McDavid back later, I doubt they'll climb that much.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in a few years when they realize they can't resign all these players and still stay under the cap. 

25 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

I'm not sure that exists outside of Price, Lundqvist, and Luongo in his prime.

I'm not even sure they would help. I mean, look at how Dubnyk is doing in Minny now. The Oilers had him and still couldn't make their team any better.

If the Oilers win this draft lottery, they should be forced to forfeit their pick. The draft lottery is so broken that it's not even funny. The Stanley Cup winner should get the #1 overall. The losers can have 2 through 15. I mean, Edmonton for crying out loud. 2010: Hall. 2011: Nugent-Hopkins. 2012: Yakupov, and the best yet! 2015: McDavid. Not only that, but Nurse at #7 OA in 2013 and Draisitl at #3 OA in 2014. I was super PO'd when they got McDavid, but if they get Matthews in 2016, then the NHL has to step in. Realistically too, as pointed out, they can't retain all of these guys. Yakupov and Eberle will very likely be gone in a year or two, and one of Draisitl, Nuge, or McDavid after, and it ain't gonna be Connor. If the Oilers win this year too, force Katz to either sell the team or clean house. Worst organization in sports, and they keep getting rewarded for it!

I dont get it... Hall, Draisaitl, Hopkins, Eberle, Yakupov, McDavid, Sekera, Nurse, Klefbom. How do you do so bad with this much talent? Is it because most of that talent are 1st round picks and they dont have the character to make the team successful? Obviously you need grit, the will to block shots and take a high stick in the face while fighting for the puck -- stuff like that. 

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Chychurn would do that team a world of good. Funny that their original 1st overall picks are now veterans and they're still growing that "young core".

They do need D but it'll be a few years before Chychrun realistically becomes a top pairing defenceman. 

The Oilers D core isn't even that bad nowadays. Their problem is the fact that they have a bunch of young stars and very a weak veteran presence. You know you're screwed when Taylor "Cancer" Hall is supposed to lead your team (as good as he is).

12 minutes ago, guntrix said:

They do need D but it'll be a few years before Chychrun realistically becomes a top pairing defenceman. 

The Oilers D core isn't even that bad nowadays. Their problem is the fact that they have a bunch of young stars and very a weak veteran presence. You know you're screwed when Taylor "Cancer" Hall is supposed to lead your team (as good as he is).

They even tried to fix that by bringing in Ference and Pouliot. Nothing can save that team. Maybe a star veteran UFA goalie and a new coach?

11 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

They even tried to fix that by bringing in Ference and Pouliot. Nothing can save that team. Maybe a star veteran UFA goalie and a new coach?

Lol they brought in a guy that was a 5-7 d man on a good team to be their saving grace on the blue line and a guy that's never scored 20 goals or 40 points to help bolster the offence. They definitely haven't tried everything yet. 

Besides the glaring issues the team still suffers from I think an overlooked one is the fact that the Oil have had a revolving door of coaches the last few seasons and have never really developed very strong systems play.

I think McLellan can turn this around....if the management team gives him enough leeway to actually instill some values into some of the more primadonna type players.  Up until now it's basically been the golden boys deciding how things are done on the club because the coaches haven't been able to gain any traction and the results have been more or less as expected.

One example that sticks out in my mind is how Hall will lose his man and immediately try to get off the ice before the other team scores so he can avoid the minus.  That is just lazy and destructive hockey that wrecks trust between players in the locker room.

Archived