The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edmonton Oilers Race to 5th First Overall Pick in 7 Years

guntrix

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

Now, considering the Oilers have all these (so called) highly valued players in trade, why do they need their goalie to steal games?  I keep hearing - on this board - that the Oilers have players worth guys like Seth Jones, or Travis Hamonic straight up; I just don't see that level of value in any of the Oilers not named McDavid. (Who is, of course, debatably to most valued player currently on the league.)

I can agree that most of their prospects alone (except for maybe Hall) wouldn't fetch a Jones-quality player, but I'd consider it worth their while to package a few prime prospects for a defender such as Jones or some other star defender who is 26 and under. It's a high price to pay, but they need it more than they need a plethora of forwards.

It's like the Oilers been cursed since Pronger left them. Not many good years after. 4 first overall picks and they stil can't get it going. Finally they get a franchise player in McDavid and he goes down. While most teams can build around one first rounder, the Oilers can't do it with 4. If one sure fire prospect did not have the Impact he was suppose to have then maybe it's the player but after 3? This team is like developmental hell. 

Hypothetical question: 

Where do you think Hall would be if the Oilers drafted Seguin?

Would Seguin faired as well as Hall?

Just now, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Would he fare as well as Hall? A better question is would Hall fare as well as Seguin lol. 

With Chara, Lucic, and a chance to have Krejci or Bergeron feeding him the puck? Hall would still be a Bruin right now.

1 minute ago, smokes said:

With Chara, Lucic, and a chance to have Krejci or Bergeron feeding him the puck? Hall would still be a Bruin right now.

Could very well be true but IMO if Seguin got shipped out of Boston, allegedly for "character" issues", then Hall would've been gone just as fast, possibly even faster. 

And FWIW, I said in 2010 and still say no the Oilers should have taken Seguin. Hall doesn't make his linemates better and carry the line the same way. Obviously Seguin doesn't carry his line playing with Benn, I'd say he's much more capable of it.

8 hours ago, ajhockey said:

I can agree that most of their prospects alone (except for maybe Hall) wouldn't fetch a Jones-quality player, but I'd consider it worth their while to package a few prime prospects for a defender such as Jones or some other star defender who is 26 and under. It's a high price to pay, but they need it more than they need a plethora of forwards.

Yup, I agree with you 100%.  They are in a rebuilding process again.  They tried with their current young core, and it didn't work.  Now it's time for them to move on.  If they are able to get Hamonic, it's worth a package from the core.  I hear that RNH is now available.  Is that a guy we would want, and we give up Tanev or Horvat for him?

On 12/1/2015, 12:01:14, Derp... said:

Just one more pick away.. I can feel it

I think the other person is right.  The one who said they just need defense.  Lets exaim what they got on their roster.

McDavid (generational talent)

Hall (elite scorer)

Yak (impact scorer who can score big goals and generate excitement)

Drai (big body  centerman who is hella clutch - imo ideal 2nd line center).

Nuge (elite level game sense and great finish).

Eberle (great young scoring forward with good upside).

Nurse (Great young d man top pair potential).

Out of those players Yak has arguably the lowest trade value. So moving him makes little to no sense unless your getting a reclaimation project d man.  Which the oilers dont need to expose themselves too.  I would personally package up the nuge and eberle to an eastern team for a elite top 6 who can help round out their top 6 and a very promsing or proven D man who can match up with nurse and play off his strengths.  They could probably even get a goalie prospect in the return as well.  The nuge is going to be a great center in the league but lets face it hes soft and and if mcdavid is to take over that #1 slot in the future its better to go with drai as your 2nd line center as hes bigger, stronger, and fills more needs.  

nuge is a great #1 center but a mcdavid nuge combo would be potent not sure about its ability to survive a long series.  When drai fills out hes going to be a phyical impact player.  Nuge and Eb prob have higher trade value then that of Yak and Drai too.  so too me it only make sense to package it up.  Someone also mentioned how are they gonna re-sign them all.  Which is a great point.  Gonna be tough.  

I feel bad for the dude who made a 1k bet with his friend for the nux beating edmonton out.  Might be a lot closer then he anticipated.

Edmonton could be a better team if they had just a next plan other than just drafting the 1st overall pick, I mean, how much asset do you have with all that 5 1st overall picks you had? If that was us we could've gotten a 1st D, a legit puck moving defenseman, 1st line and 2nd centres and high picks traded for decent wingers and bottom line players.

On 12/1/2015 at 0:30 AM, elvis15 said:

I'm not even sure they would help. I mean, look at how Dubnyk is doing in Minny now. The Oilers had him and still couldn't make their team any better.

Exactly,

There is no goaltender alive who could help them,

The way the game is played now, so tightly coached and controlled, keeping pucks out of the net is a team duty.

It's too bad, the Oilers play the game the right way, with creativity and reckless abandon, I wish they were rewarded for it.

But nowadays, the NHL brand of hockey is closer to what the SEL league or an international tournament team would play. Hive mentality rules: Everyone must play exactly the same and within the system, hockey used to run on emotion and individual creativity, now the games feel stiff and robotic.

Players used to go out of position to throw a hit or take an offensive risk, they would either score, level someone or start the other team on an odd man rush. That was the game, give and take. Now players are benched for doing that....to the benefit of who? Not the fans, not the players.....this is a coaches league now.

I salute the Oilers as a throwback to a time when the NHL presented the most entertaining product in professional sports, whether everyone knew it or not.

Unfortunately those days have long since passed.

On 12/3/2015 at 10:22 AM, Alflives said:

Yup, I agree with you 100%.  They are in a rebuilding process again.  They tried with their current young core, and it didn't work.  Now it's time for them to move on.  If they are able to get Hamonic, it's worth a package from the core.  I hear that RNH is now available.  Is that a guy we would want, and we give up Tanev or Horvat for him?

Yes, definitely, I'd give them both.

Nuge would be the perfect bridge between The Sedins and McCann/Shink/Virt ect.

He is trying his best to be a 200ft. player and would be lethal coming in behind the Sedins,

Roast me all you want, but when building a team the hardest thing to acquire is elite talent,

Get that first then start rounding out the team,

It's that second part Edmonton doesn't seem willing to do.

Archived