The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fan Accountability

Patchoball Cannons

We have been lucky enough to have a team that has competed every year for the better part of 2 decades. We have enjoyed some great success in that time and some very offensive teams to watch and enjoy for years. We haven't been stuck in a 10 year rebuild and the misery that comes with that. Through all that, we still have the single worst fan base in the NHL. Doesn't matter where the team is in the standings or how well they are playing, the so called fans of this team pick apart anything they can. The players are no good, the coach always needs to be fired and whoever our GM is, is the worst decision maker in pro sports. The sky is always falling. This city is so marred in negativity there is no way that doesn't bring the players down who play here. I don't know if its all the rain, the negative sports media or all the transplanted Vancouverites, who jump on and off of the bandwagon so often it's surprising it hasn't tipped over.

Winnipeg has never won a cup either, yet that city lives and dies for their team, weather its the Jets or the Moose, they support their team through thick and thin. Look at the Calgary stands during the playoffs, their sea of Red provided a lift for their team and gave them energy. I'm not saying that's the reason they beat us last year but it certainly didn't hurt. Fans of the Oilers and Leafs live up to the name fanatic, yeah their delusional and really annoying to listen to, but thy are passionate and support the team no matter what. Montreal is in a league of their own. The fans in Montreal are the best in the NHL. They know when to cheer, when to heckle and most of all how to give their team a home ice advantage. Ottawa has the shortest NHL history of any Canadian team, but still do a way better job of creating energy in their rink and supporting their team.

I am a die hard Canucks fan and have been since I was a kid (36 now) I've lived through the highs and lows that have come with supporting this team, but in the end I've always been a fan, and that means being fanatical about your support. I go to the games and make noise, only to be looked at like a freak from all the silent viewers at Canucks games, only to hear them make noise when the games over, and that noise is all about why the team is terrible, what they would do with the lines, who they would trade out and in, as if it were all so simple. We have the quietest playoff rink in the entire league, they make more noise in cities where they haven't even figured icing out yet, it's embarrassing. Everyone wants to bash the team, I want to bash the fans. We can't control who the coach puts on the ice, or who the GM gives the coach to work with. We can bring energy to the rink every night, we can build the players confidence up through unwavering support, we can wear our colours to the games, we can make some noise. This is a challenge to all the actual fans of this team. Let's try and be supportive no matter what's happening, let's try and keep positive an lets turn this reputation around. Most of all let's make some f'n noise when we go to Rogers arena!

HOLY WALL OF WORDS!!!

Somebody fire some cannonballs through that!

Edit- thanks for putting some space in there Cannons, I actually took the time to read it now.

You make a few good points about the atmosphere in the Rog, but if you've ever paid attention the Montreal media when the Habs are sucking, they're no better than Vancouver's media. Their fans are also just as vicious and angry as we get, booing their own players etc.

A lot of fans massively overreact to losing skids or are so delusional they think that JB should have turned our burned out stale core into legit contenders over the last 18months...

Keep fighting the good fight. The atmosphere at the Rog will get better after a couple more mediocre to bad seasons when all of the spoiled, rich babies stop going to see a win and real fans can start to get tickets to enjoy watching their team play, win or lose.

I've noticed that people are louder during the 3rd period. Maybe it's the alcohol.  I've been to Rogers Arena and the Bell Centre, and the atmosphere at the Bell Centre is ecstatic. I'm going to a Canucks game on Saturday against the Bruins, so it should be loud.

Just now, brilac said:

I've noticed that people are louder during the 3rd period. Maybe it's the alcohol.  I've been to Rogers Arena and the Bell Centre, and the atmosphere at the Bell Centre is ecstatic. I'm going to a Canucks game on Saturday against the Bruins, so it should be loud.

I'm going too and bringing a buddy who will be just as loud as me! Lets be loud my friend!

2 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

Fans are spoiled. That's honestly what I think. Heck, I'm very spoiled as a fan to see such greatness and expect that for eternity.

I expect the Canucks to play well every time.  If they don't win, it's like - huh?!  I am a spoiled hockey fan.  I pay big bucks to see them play at Rogers Arena, so I expect a win. Tickets are not cheap!   And I expect them to make the Playoffs every year, and I walk around thinking how they are the best, and no one equals them. 

I take offense too your single worst fan base comment.  We at least have fans that show up at our arena.  some teams cant even get their arena half full when they are on fire and dominating. We at least can fill the arena with our crazy expensive ticket prices when the team is rolling.  Do we have emotional fans? yes?  I guess thats what happens when you go to 3 stanley cup finals and never return home with the cup.  We get some bandwagoners that usually give us a bad rep but I look at us more like a cup starved franchise that only wants to get the 1st one out of the way.

3 minutes ago, smokes said:

I can agree that the Canucks have the worst fan base in the NHL and worse yet, the worst media base. Sure the fans are showing up but with the drop in attendance recently, that doesn't look like it will happen either.

The ticket prices are crazy.  In Florida, Carolina, and a bunch of American cities you can buy tickets for under ten dollars.  Our passion for the game we love subsidizes those teams, so they can exist.  We are getting seriously ripped off!

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The ticket prices are crazy.  In Florida, Carolina, and a bunch of American cities you can buy tickets for under ten dollars.  Our passion for the game we love subsidizes those teams, so they can exist.  We are getting seriously ripped off!

You can get lower bowl tickets for 50$

I find that very reasonable.

Archived