The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Swiss player misses empty net on Breakaway

When I think of empty net misses, I always remember Patrik Stefan one of the worst ever. Now someone else has emerged as probably the worst ever, a Swiss player who was literally on a breakaway with an empty net and the rest is history....

Stefan's was bad no doubt about it, but one can argue the puck did flip over his stick from the ice very unfortunate, but this swiss player has no excuses at all. 

This Swiss player had also scored a decent goal earlier in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWAhkcYLRPU

I'm not too sure how this game ended here, but the worst thing with Stefans miss, was as soon as he lost the puck and the oilers got it, they scored forcing an overtime, which I do believe the Stars won anyway but still it's about the funniest thing I've ever seen. 

Stefan's was far, far worse.

1. NHL Game - Biggest stage in the world.

2. Coasting in front of the net - Stefan wasn't going all out and had zero pressure. Was incredibly close to the net.

3. Oilers came back and tied the game with seconds to spare, forcing overtime - Though Stars did end up winning anyway.

4. Last but not least - Stefan was a former 1st overall draft pick. Not only was he a bust of a player, but this play alone summed up his career.

Isn't Martin Pluss the guy who had an amazing olympics in 2010?

I remember wondering why he didn't get an NHL shot after the kind of tournament he had.

Edit: Looking at it now, he only had 3 assists in 5 games. I just remember him being all over the place against Canada and USA

I understand with Stefan what happened and all that, this is why it's one of the worst misses in NHL history because of what happened. Why I believe this one is worse, is because he tries to shot the puck like he's trying to beat the goalie why? You have an empty net all you have to do is slide it in the net, there is no need to be shooting it when it's a clear path in the net. Stefan did the right thing he had a clear path to the net and wanted to slide it in the net, it's the safest way to put the puck in the net. Unfortunately Stefan had no luck, but at least he didn't try shooting it top corner and missing, probably would of been worse.

Archived