The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Officials

King Heffy

It seems yet again every game I watch this season, the officiating is yet again unacceptable.  Phantom calls against us.  Obvious dives by the other team being ignored.  Letting the other teams take cheap-shots at our guys without fear of ejection.  At this point, the refs are making the game borderline unwatchable.  What I'm wondering is, what recourse does Benning have to force the NHL to hold it's refs accountable?  Suggestions:

• Offer to pay players' fines for calling out problem officials
  • Privately (and publicly if necessary) request guys like Sutherland not to be assigned to our games
  • Call a spade a spade and blast the refs in the media when they try to pull any garbage
  • Bring up a guy like Pedan and send him after a ref who refuses to call a fair game.  I'm sure refs thought twice about calling a BS penalty on Richard after he took justice into his own hands
  • Refuse to take the ice in a meaningless game unless the NHL actually starts fixing the problem.  The refs did it to the NHL, after all.
  • Inform the NHL that the league will be a defendant in a lawsuit involving any injury of a player caused by corrupt officials leading to an unsafe work environment.

It's clear doing nothing and ignoring the problem isn't motivating the NHL to clean up its act.  The problem is, what will?

Inconsistency and out right wrong calls from TWO refs is the problem.

Error is statistically cumulative.

The second ref should be off ice, and used to veto / confirm / hone calls made on the ice.

There should be A LOT more double calls.  Half trip, full dive type calls.  These can be assessed via replay.

The NFL is finally doing something with some of their inferior officials by dropping them off games, prime time or not.  Players, coaches and management is suppose to be accountable for their conduct, why not the officials?  Oh wait, Gary is running the show!

17 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

You just need to take your homer glasses off and watch other games.  Every team gets screwed with terrible calls.  It's a part of the game, sadly.

Refs are bad at all levels of hockey, the game is impossible to officiate properly.  

Send Pedan after a ref......I hope the Canucks start winning very soon so I don't have to see crap threads like this anymore.  Im sorry but c'mon man.

No kidding. Attacking refs is not the answer. Pedan would be putting a bullseye on himself for the rest of his career, if he still had one.

Sadly poor reffing is a systemic issue. In the lockout shortened season, the reffing was horrible and was blamed on rust. However the poor officiating continued right through the entire season. It became obvious to me that they were manipulating Playoff match-ups and didn't care how obvious they were being in regards to bad calls. That trend is still going on;they just have more games to do it now.

26 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

No kidding. Attacking refs is not the answer. Pedan would be putting a bullseye on himself for the rest of his career, if he still had one.

Sadly poor reffing is a systemic issue. In the lockout shortened season, the reffing was horrible and was blamed on rust. However the poor officiating continued right through the entire season. It became obvious to me that they were manipulating Playoff match-ups and didn't care how obvious they were being in regards to bad calls. That trend is still going on;they just have more games to do it now.

So what is the answer?  Ignoring the problem and giving the league a free pass because they screw other teams as well isn't any kind of solution.  I agree that physical violence should be the last resort but the refs aren't voluntarily calling clean games.  If professional pride won't motivate them to act with an iota of integrity, maybe fear might.

It's fakers like Sheifele and Pavelski that makes it hard for the refs to do their jobs properly. And you just gotta play through it when it happens, there's nothing to gain from getting pissed about it. The best system is football in the NFL and CFL where officials are graded after the games throughout the season and only the best get to do the playoffs.

I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like the refs are better this year for us. Yea, they've made some stupid calls, but it doesn't seem as much as last year. However, the thing I've noticed this season is the calls they're NOT making. Our guys are getting pushed around like a sack of potatoes and no one does anything. <_<

6 minutes ago, AngelicHearts said:

I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like the refs are better this year for us. Yea, they've made some stupid calls, but it doesn't seem as much as last year. However, the thing I've noticed this season is the calls they're NOT making. Our guys are getting pushed around like a sack of potatoes and no one does anything. <_<

I agree and feel things are turning around.  I no longer feel that the calls are purposely lopsided (although Dallas got away with a lot).  I honestly think the refs are reasonably calling the games this year...they do miss things but it isn't as glaring.   I'd like them to put the whistles away for the most part, except for blatant violations.

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I agree and feel things are turning around.  I no longer feel that the calls are purposely lopsided (although Dallas got away with a lot).  I honestly think the refs are reasonably calling the games this year...they do miss things but it isn't as glaring.   I'd like them to put the whistles away for the most part, except for blatant violations.

I think Willie's, shall we say, judicious use of the coaches challenge plays a part in it as well. Nobody likes being second guessed.  

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

So what is the answer?  Ignoring the problem and giving the league a free pass because they screw other teams as well isn't any kind of solution.  I agree that physical violence should be the last resort but the refs aren't voluntarily calling clean games.  If professional pride won't motivate them to act with an iota of integrity, maybe fear might.

When Burrows played in the ECHL he was suspended for three games and fined an undisclosed amount by the league for abusing officials during a game against the Greensboro Generals. That incident has dogged him his entire career. That is the main reason that he has been targeted by the officials and is probably also the main reason that the Canucks don't ever get the benefit of doubt in calls.

If one of our players were to target an official, we would be inviting more of the same. Prust openly criticized officiating last season which is possibly why Montreal traded him to us. We now have two players which the officials have reason to dislike. That does not help us in regards to getting calls in an unbiased fashion.

I personally believe that, until we get those players off of our team, we will never get unbiased officiating. Even then, I think we'll need to keep our mouths shut and just play hockey. If we were an American team, we maybe could get away with criticizing the refs. Sadly that's the situation that we are in.

53 minutes ago, AngelicHearts said:

no need to fix games that affect nothing. all they're doing is averaging it out so they can &^@# us when we're rebuilt and it matters. 

Archived