The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[2016 NHL Draft] If the Nucks draft top 5, who would you pick?

Odd.

Top 5 -well it depends on position we draft at but....here's my top 5 order

1. Matthews - A center with his size and skill is a franchise maker, just too important of a position to ignore. We would have the envy of every team in the league with at Center in 2-3 years with all three Centers getting similar ice time and having Matthews/McCann/Bo all up the middle. We could literally roll all 4 lines evenly and come playoff time the ability to match up against us would be impossible.

2. Pulijarve (sp) - Elite skill, size off the wing, again just too talented and big and now pretty much prove over someone like Chychrun who seems to have elite potential but was cut from Team Canada....both are the same age!

3. Tkachuk - Close to elite hands, incredibly high hockey IQ, great bloodlines, competitor, leader, great skater with size.

4. Chychrun drops here for me. I am not sold on him as the guy who many thought would be a number 1 / 2. He is big and mobile and clearly will be a number 1/2 in the NHL but can he be a Norris winner. Clearly, he's no Ekblad, or doesn't seem it yet. But given our needs if this is where we draft and he's there, you take him. If another player above is still there then it gets hard.

5. Laine

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 11:21 PM, Nooks said:

Boeser and Virtanen?

Those two are too valuable to be traded. 

JB believes (arrogantly) that he can out draft other teams.  He thinks he can get players who will make his team a Cup level team without drafting in the top of the draft.  He won't trade up.

If the Canucks draft in the top 5-10, unless first overall, they would be foolish to not draft a defenseman. It's been 11 years since they last drafted a defenseman in the first round, about time they buck that trend.

On ‎2016‎-‎01‎-‎07 at 1:10 AM, McCannon said:

4. Chychrun drops here for me. I am not sold on him as the guy who many thought would be a number 1 / 2. He is big and mobile and clearly will be a number 1/2 in the NHL but can he be a Norris winner. Clearly, he's no Ekblad, or doesn't seem it yet. But given our needs if this is where we draft and he's there, you take him. If another player above is still there then it gets hard.

Ekblad had the same questions in his draft year. There just wasn't a Matthews/Laine/Puljujarvi available to draft ahead of him.

20 hours ago, D-Money said:

Ekblad had the same questions in his draft year. There just wasn't a Matthews/Laine/Puljujarvi available to draft ahead of him.

Sure Ekblad didn’t have those high talents in his draft year but Ekblad was producing at .91 ppg, Chychrun is only producing at .675.  Ekblad put up 23 goals in his draft year, Chychrun in on pace for 12.  I think Chychrun will be a really good player in the NHL, just not the franchise defining player he was once pegged to be.  If we have the option, I’d still be drafting him.

7 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I don't think you could find any professional mock draft right now that has Chychrun ahead of Matthews, Pulj or Laine. The first couple rounds you draft BPA not for position.

Or you trade down, adding more assets in the process.

CZW7RJFWwAEmS8k.png

Rising:
Patrik Laine (Tappara Tampere) — We’ve been concerned in the past about his coachability issues, but this 17-year-old just took world juniors by the throat and willed his team to gold. You don’t see that every day!
Matthew Murray (Spruce Grove) — We were impressed with this Tier II goalie we knew nothing about heading into the World Jr. A Challenge.
Max Zimmer (Chicago) — He flashes blazing, world-class speed and causes major problems for defenders nearly every time he hits the ice.
Nathan Bastian (Mississauga) — Big centeris not flashy, but he puts points on the board at offensive end, and keeps them off the board at defensive end.  
Vlad Kuznetsov (Acadie-Bathurst) — Big horse is starting to dominate in the QMJHL. We’re still a bit leery on his skating, but he’s too productive to ignore.
Lucas Johansen (Kelowna) — Another blue-line success story out in Kelowna (WHL), where they really know how to develop young defensemen.

Falling:
William Knierim (Dubuque) — His heavy feet and occasionally questionable decisions were exposed at the World Jr. A Challenge last month.
Nolan Volcan (Seattle) — He is frustrating us. We expected so much, but the development just hasn’t been there — his game is stagnating.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/hockey/juniors/2016/01/22/2016-nhl-draft-laine-matthews-puljujrvi-tkachuk/79187286/

On 12/24/2015 at 3:49 AM, DeNiro said:

Strome played with two amazing players as well. Didn't stop him from going 3rd overall.

It's not just about points with Tkachuk, it's his all around game and compete level that will make him a top 3 pick.

But the fins and even nylander have just swept me off my feet and pushed tkachuk down my list, lets not kid ourselves. We would be ECSTATIC to have any of em. And yea very few top prospects dont have talented line mates in JR.

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 8:12 AM, Alflives said:

Or you trade down, adding more assets in the process.

Nah. You take Pull Jur Yarvi.

Even from a guy that whinged 4 straight that we did not take a D...

(In reality where we will be drafting one of Sergachyov, Juolevi, Fabbro or Bean will be available. There is a good chance we'll get a D finally!)

Archived