The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Low Can They Go? Auston Matthews A Real Possibility

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/willes+canucks/11569309/story.html

" That means the race for the first overall pick this season might be a lot more interesting that the race for the playoffs — which might be the best thing for this team in the long run"

This post by Ed Willis is one of the first I have read by the mainstream media in Vancouver to openly discuss that the Canucks could be pushing (inadvertently of course) for a 1st overall pick.  I think that is somewhat significant and very realistic for anyone watching this team.  

If you look at the standings as of December 6th http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20152016&type=LEA we have the 9th worst record in the NHL and are tied for the least wins in the NHL.  And it looks to be getting worse not better.  We are only 4 points up on Edmonton.  

I for one had some faith in this team before the season started and kinda laughed at all the "experts" who called for the Canucks to be bad.  I guess I was wrong and I for one am very disappointed not just for the lack of wins, but the lack of compete.  The slow play.  The terrible breakouts.  Watching a pillar of a D-man like Hamhuis just crumble before our eyes.  

So is it time to start looking at the draft and hope for a guy like Matthews?  I think watching bad hockey all year will be painful to see but it might just be time that we all except our fate here.

Here is some info on Matthews for those not completely familiar with who he is:

http://www.tsn.ca/button-matthews-the-clear-favourite-to-go-no-1-in-2016-draft-1.107932

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=785921

I am trying to keep the discussion Canucks related with a Matthews twist.  If there are any other prospect that would fit what the Canucks need, or have any other guys you think are better suited for our team moving forward then please share.  Or maybe you think the Canucks as built can come out of this funk.  I'd love to hear how/why you think that is possible. 

I really wanted to keep this from being a Canucks bashing session.  I am disappointed as are all of us, but lets just be adults about it.  Thanks.

Capture.JPG

I hope we don't TBH. Picking Matthews would only give Benning more incentive to push for a playoff spot next year when we still have a lot of holes on this team.

Pick Chychrun, have him spend one more year in the OHL and then draft our franchise C next year. We should be ready to turn things around by the 17-18 season.

7 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I hope we don't TBH. Picking Matthews would only give Benning more incentive to push for a playoff spot next year when we still have a lot of holes on this team.

Pick Chychrun, have him spend one more year in the OHL and then draft our franchise C next year. We should be ready to turn things around by the 17-18 season.

I can definitely get on board with this.  

Also, great username, OP! 

Pick up Chychrun with the 2nd overall.

If we get 1st I'd trade Phoenix for it since Matthew's is from there, then we package for the 2nd overall and pick up Chychrun and another prospect for trading the 1st away. 

Then we get our potential other 2x first rounders where we can either trade up to pick up in the top 10 or later in the round of 20-30

Too early to write this season off for me, but I'd be hard pressed to say a top 5 pick would be "bad". I feel when we get Sutter back we won't be bad enough for a top 5 pick. I could be wrong though. This defence has me all kinds of frustrated, they may just be bad enough to have this season go up in flames.

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Too early to write this season off for me, but I'd be hard pressed to say a top 5 pick would be "bad". I feel when we get Sutter back we won't be bad enough for a top 5 pick. I could be wrong though. This defence has me all kinds of frustrated, they may just be bad enough to have this season go up in flames.

I don't see us improving. Sutter isn't back until half way through January (assuming no set-backs) at which point we're approaching the trade deadline where we'll likely (hopefully) be trading off players like Vrbata/Hamhuis/Higgins. 

38 minutes ago, Ruxin'sVinegarStrokes said:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/willes+canucks/11569309/story.html

" That means the race for the first overall pick this season might be a lot more interesting that the race for the playoffs — which might be the best thing for this team in the long run"

This post by Ed Willis is one of the first I have read by the mainstream media in Vancouver to openly discuss that the Canucks could be pushing (inadvertently of course) for a 1st overall pick.  I think that is somewhat significant and very realistic for anyone watching this team.  

If you look at the standings as of December 6th http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20152016&type=LEA we have the 9th worst record in the NHL and are tied for the least wins in the NHL.  And it looks to be getting worse not better.  We are only 4 points up on Edmonton.  

I for one had some faith in this team before the season started and kinda laughed at all the "experts" who called for the Canucks to be bad.  I guess I was wrong and I for one am very disappointed not just for the lack of wins, but the lack of compete.  The slow play.  The terrible breakouts.  Watching a pillar of a D-man like Hamhuis just crumble before our eyes.  

So is it time to start looking at the draft and hope for a guy like Matthews?  I think watching bad hockey all year will be painful to see but it might just be time that we all except our fate here.

Here is some info on Matthews for those not completely familiar with who he is:

http://www.tsn.ca/button-matthews-the-clear-favourite-to-go-no-1-in-2016-draft-1.107932

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=785921

I am trying to keep the discussion Canucks related with a Matthews twist.  If there are any other prospect that would fit what the Canucks need, or have any other guys you think are better suited for our team moving forward then please share.  Or maybe you think the Canucks as built can come out of this funk.  I'd love to hear how/why you think that is possible. 

I really wanted to keep this from being a Canucks bashing session.  I am disappointed as are all of us, but lets just be adults about it.  Thanks.

Capture.JPG

This is a whiny post. The reality is this is all that's out there with JB's cap and youth movement. Think it out. No ones debating the team is in a corner, you're just pointing out the scenery in  that corner. Not much to choose from.

They are very capable of finishing last in the league.  And slightly capable of making the playoffs.

1st overall pick is a legitimate possibility.

May as well play the rookies, maybe ship out a vet or two and see what Gaunce and Shinkaruk really have.  If they suck, so be it.  We'll just finish lower and get someone that doesn't.

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

They are very capable of finishing last in the league.  And slightly capable of making the playoffs.

1st overall pick is a legitimate possibility.

Yeah the one year we would get the 1st overall pick it would be an american player lol.  Nothing wrong with them just makes me sad.  Mathews is gonna be legit tho so no worries there take what we can get!  kids gold.  6'2 215 pounds at age 16-17? not bad lol.  kids fast, big, and strong.

Archived