The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Low Can They Go? Auston Matthews A Real Possibility

Mathews all day, any week, even twice on Sunday's. This kid is the real deal. Having only missed the cutoff from last years draft by 2 days, he's more than NHL ready. He could step in right away, and he'd probably be our 3rd best forward. Chychrun is good, but no where near Matthews. 

2 hours ago, Honeydew said:

Pick up Chychrun with the 2nd overall.

If we get 1st I'd trade Phoenix for it since Matthew's is from there, then we package for the 2nd overall and pick up Chychrun and another prospect for trading the 1st away. 

Then we get our potential other 2x first rounders where we can either trade up to pick up in the top 10 or later in the round of 20-30

There's at least 3 players who should go before Chycrun.  If they end up picking 1st or 2nd, Chycrun shouldn't be in the convo I don't think.

Even if we have the first overall, we should pick Chychurn. How many wingers does this team have? How many defencemen does this team have?

If Benning picks Matthews over Chychurn I lose all hope in him. He's chugging along his 3-5 year plan and I think this upcoming draft is where we judge him, not by the last one or this season.

He's got to pull his head out and address this defence at some point, and a stab at Chychurn (or one of the many other top ten defencemen) would be a start.

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Even if we have the first overall, we should pick Chychurn. How many wingers does this team have? How many defencemen does this team have?

If Benning picks Matthews over Chychurn I lose all hope in him. He's chugging along his 3-5 year plan and I think this upcoming draft is where we judge him, not by the last one or this season.

He's got to pull his head out and address this defence at some point, and a stab at Chychurn (or one of the many other top ten defencemen) would be a start.

Yea, but your plan is bad too.

In that situation you trade down and get more pieces in the process as opposed to just using the first to pick off the board. That is of course, that option is available, which it almost always is.

38 minutes ago, SwedeHockey said:

Mathews all day, any week, even twice on Sunday's. This kid is the real deal. Having only missed the cutoff from last years draft by 2 days, he's more than NHL ready. He could step in right away, and he'd probably be our 3rd best forward. Chychrun is good, but no where near Matthews. 

Fantastic. Then we have Matthews, Virtanen, Shink, Baertschi, Gaunce not to mention all our current vets.

On defence we have Tanev, an ageing Edler, Hutton and Sbisa.

It's pretty obvious where our real needs are. Keep picking the best available player year after year and you end up with a poorly balanced team of star kids like Edmonton.

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

Fantastic. Then we have Matthews, Virtanen, Shink, Baertschi, Gaunce not to mention all our current vets.

It's pretty obvious where our real needs are. Keep picking the best available player year after year and you end up with a poorly balanced team of star kids like Edmonton.

When you have the 1st overall, you take the best player available. Right now, Bo is looking like he will be great for us, but not that #1 centre. 

26 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I agree we should be going for Chy over Matthews, but not with the 1st overall. If we have the 1st overall, we should be trading our 1st overall for the 2nd overall + another 1st round pick or blue chip prospect. That way we can get the #1 defenseman we need while continuing to stockpile high level prospects. 

I do agree that Chychurn would fit more of a need but Auston supposed to be franchise defining player, hard to pass that up..

Anywho this is more of a pipe dream than anything else. I'd just be happy to see some of our older players turn into draft picks.

48 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Are you serious? If we have #1 pick and we use it to draft anyone but Auston Mathews, we'll be the laughing stock of the NHL. 

Imagine a potential franchise player like Mathews getting stolen at second, that's just disgusting. Don't get me wrong, Chychrun will probably be great in his own right, but still. If you want Chychrun so badly, simply pray we don't win the lottery. 

49 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

You know what else is plaguing this team right now? The inability to create offence. If you don't score goals you don't win hockey games and the Canucks aren't scoring goals. I know the argument can be made that the D sucks because they really do and drafting a defenseman should be a no brainer but Auston Matthews has been mentioned in the same breath as Eichel and McDavid, aka franchise player. These players don't come around often and you sure as hell don't pass them up. 

I've heard Matthews described as Monaghan but better in every way.  I'll just leave that there if anyone wants to put that in their pipe and smoke it.  Come June, if we are picking first & if Matthews is still the BPA (likely) then you take him - no question.

2 hours ago, Swedish elite3 said:

If we get the 1st pick I am torn between trading it or drafting Matthews. Matthews isn't just a every year draft I believe he will be a generational player competing with McDavid each and every year. 

Now trading the pick you could get something amazing. The value would have to be top 5 pick, true #1 defenseman and maybe even a 2nd as well. It would have to be a massive overpayment for me to be happy 

Good news.  Is if he joins team USA for WJC we can get a good sense of how well he really is.  Do we know for sure he's coming over from europe to compete in the WJC?

We should make this thread the official tanking thread where we can talk about the tank.

Take matthews first 100% of the time and passing on him would be foolish.  He just missed the cutoff for last year's draft otherwise would have been right in the mix with mcdavid and eichel. Carolina won today, which is good for the tank.  Upset carolina won it with 4 seconds left though since I wanted a 3 point game b/w them and the coyotes. Edmonton looks like they will win today, so will be only 2 points behind us. 

Here's a good lottery sim site.

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl

A2D6qed.jpg

Archived