The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Low Can They Go? Auston Matthews A Real Possibility

8 hours ago, aqua59 said:

This is a whiny post. The reality is this is all that's out there with JB's cap and youth movement. Think it out. No ones debating the team is in a corner, you're just pointing out the scenery in  that corner. Not much to choose from.

Ed Willis is a tool. Respected by very few in the industry or taken seriously by anyone. 

Getting a potential franchise player probably increases the likely hood that someone wants to buy. Potential for gains are already in place if we get first overall. It makes more sense for the Aquamen to tank now because they can't sell tickets anyways, no need to worry about playoff gains, more important to add assets for the future that the next owner can put a value on.

I'm a bit confused. By the looks of this thread, you'd think the Canucks had already drafted a superstar #1 centerman to replace Henrik. Oh, wait... we haven't? Then why is everyone suggesting we pass on the next Toews because we currently need D-help? Henrik is 35 years old. Matthews is not redundant.

Do you even realize how good Matthews is? You don't pass up on guys like that... ever.

9 hours ago, Time Lord said:

I'd pick Matthews and trade Horvat or McCann for a great defensive prospect, rather than just picking Chychrun.

This.

Benning will be going after top FA's like Lucic next year no matter who we draft. So we shouldn't let that opportunity to draft a #1C pass because we probably won't have it again for a long time.

The way this team is playing gets me excited please oh please please keep it going continue to suck and lose trade Vrbata and Hamhuis for whatever you can get.

Play the young guys and bring that big American stud from Marc Crawford to the Canucks.

He would look so great in blue. He is a west coast guy born in the Bay Area and grew up in Arizona would look great playing in the Pacific division against McDavid and going to play against the Cali teams and Arizona.

Dream fit... if only dreams came true in reality...

Canucks wont get Matthews, he will go to probally Columbus, trust me on that. 

but the canucks can always look into guys like (Chcychrun,Pullajrvi,Bean,Tkachuk,(Steel,Benson,Gauthier). etc

ones in brackets are the most likely possible ones whom the canucks can get.

1 hour ago, Lui's Knob said:

Matthews is a potential franchise cornerstone that will go against McDavid for a decade. The Canucks need to complete the tank to grab them; it'll be the successor to the Sedins

1. While I agree that the Canucks are unlikely to make the playoffs and will therefore have  chance at the #1 pick, the odds actually getting #1 pick are low. Even the team that comes last has only a 20% chance picking first.

2. No question that whoever picks first will take Matthews. Pretty much everyone agrees that with high draft picks you take the BPA (best player available). If the Canucks get the first pick and would prefer a D they only thing that makes sense is a trade: maybe the 1st overall for Ekblad or something like that.

3. Anyway, the question of whether to take Matthews or made a trade for a top D is a problem the Canucks would love to have.

4. What I think is really important about missing the playoffs the potential ability to trade vets for draft picks. While I am not sold on Benning in general, his drafting record looks good. If the Canucks could acquire a low first rounder and a couple of second rounders in addition to their own picks I think Benning do go a long way toward building a contender. I am not saying every 1st or 2nd round pick will work out, but with several picks in the first two rounds (in addition to a top 10 pick) I would expect a couple of other players who help the team. Added to the prospects already in the system that would give the Canucks a very good prospect pool.

The top end talent in this draft is unreal. Please oh please keep sucking now. Might as well stink it up and reload next year. Get whatever assets you can for Vrbata, Higgins and Hamhuis. Prust can go too. Go drop Weber off in Egypt or something. Lucic next year. Oh baby I'm so stoked for the off-season!!!!

I am afraid Benning makes a knee jerk reaction trade and trades away a guy like Griener for a veteran to fill the hole on this team. I hope benning realizes this team will not get the cup this year because of the holes on defence, but when Benning says things lik ewe have searched for centers since sutter's injury it worries me.  Benning will have on chance at the deadline to make it clear what direction we are heading, don't be surprised he pulls a Gillis.

While I totally think getting excited for a strong draft pick is valid - people need to remember that even if the Canucks end up finishing last in the regular season, they only have a 20% chance at getting to pick first. Not good odds. Realistically, the Canucks just need to make sure they are willing to make moves to move up to the #1/#2 spot. 

I agree.

I'm worried that Linden and Benning get pressured by the Italian owners and they feel guilty with the Sedins playing their asses off to tell them we are not getting you guys any help and feel compelled to make a minor move to appease the owners and make it look like they are trying to make the playoffs even after the trade deadline.

10 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

I am afraid Benning makes a knee jerk reaction trade and trades away a guy like Griener for a veteran to fill the hole on this team. I hope benning realizes this team will not get the cup this year because of the holes on defence, but when Benning says things lik ewe have searched for centers since sutter's injury it worries me.  Benning will have on chance at the deadline to make it clear what direction we are heading, don't be surprised he pulls a Gillis.

And don't be surprised if you're proven wrong. That seems like a fair trade to me.

Just now, Canucks Prophet said:

And don't be surprised if you're proven wrong. That seems like a fair trade to me.

how does trading Greiner for a veteran like hm let's say Jason Chimera or hmm let's say scott Hartnell or hm lets say Winnik benefit us? Because that's what your getting, players that are simply old or ufas, so explain how it benefits us.

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Even if we have the first overall, we should pick Chychurn. How many wingers does this team have? How many defencemen does this team have?

If Benning picks Matthews over Chychurn I lose all hope in him. He's chugging along his 3-5 year plan and I think this upcoming draft is where we judge him, not by the last one or this season.

He's got to pull his head out and address this defence at some point, and a stab at Chychurn (or one of the many other top ten defencemen) would be a start.

Over a generational talent like Matthews!?...thankfully your not the GM! 

9 hours ago, hsedin33 said:

I'd be happy with a top 10 pick tbh. Top 5 would be fantastic, but our last top 5 pick isn't doing too great so far. 

Henrik Sedin? Almost 1 000 career points? Art Ross Trophy winner? Hart Trophy? Captain for almost five years? Top 20 in league points as a 35 year old? 

I would say that he's doing alright...

7 hours ago, FireGillis said:

I'm shaking my head at the mental gymnastics some people are going through about passing up matthews or trading pick!  :lol: Like edmonton or buffalo thought about packaging mcdavid or eichel for a dman. That's your number 1 centre right there to replace henrik.

Edmonton has picked the best ranked player each time they had the first overall. How has that worked out for them?

I've  stated this MANY, MANY times on here. You don't win the Stanley Cup without an Norris caliber defensemen on your team. You need a defensemen, who can log big minutes every game and play in all situations. Chychrun is that guy.

If we happened to win the lottery, we must trade down and pick up Chychrun or whoever is the best defensemen on the board.

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

Edmonton has picked the best ranked player each time they had the first overall. How has that worked out for them?

I've  stated this MANY, MANY times on here. You don't win the Stanley Cup without an Norris caliber defensemen on your team. You need a defensemen, who can log big minutes every game and play in all situations. Chychrun is that guy.

If we happened to win the lottery, we must trade down and pick up Chychrun or whoever is the best defensemen on the board.

Look no further than Nashville, they have 2 of those caliber d-men and no cups. You need a lot more than 1 piece to win. Chychrun is a nice player but Mathews is in a different league, besides a guy like him would energize the whole fan base.

Archived