The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Low Can They Go? Auston Matthews A Real Possibility

If this scenario played out. This Offseason would be one of the most interesting offseasons in a long time! 

Trade Deadline: Vrbata ( traded for a 1st rounder) 20-30

Hammer (potentially traded for a 2nd and 3rd)

Prust (traded for a 2nd or 3rd and 4th)

Walk in to the draft with the #1 pick and a late first, 31st and late second and a couple 3rd's.

Draft: 1:Matthews

1: I would trade this pick in a package for immediate help on the backend. We can use our second rounders on D, this would speed up the process of being a solid team.

2.Charles McAvoy is a player i would target.  Big Rd playing for Boston University.

2. I dont know enough beyond the first round to be confident with this pick, so ill leave this to the experts. Sean Day has potential, but hes been known to be a little lazy.

From there its a crapshoot. I do like Ty Ronning a one of the late rounds!

Free Agency: I would definitely look at adding Lucic. I think he would be a great complement to Horvat on the cycle and in front of the net on the PP. Look for a Puck Mover in Free agency.

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Lucic-Horvat-Matthews

Baertschi-Sutter-Burrows

Gaunce-McCann-Dorsett

ex.Kenins etc

Edler-Tanev

UFA - Jones,Barrie,Hamonic etc

Sbisa-Hutton

ex Pedan

Miller

Marky 

What you guys think??

1 hour ago, KKnight said:

If this scenario played out. This Offseason would be one of the most interesting offseasons in a long time! 

Walk in to the draft with the #1 pick and a late first, 31st and late second and a couple 3rd's.

1: I would trade this pick in a package for immediate help on the backend. We can use our second rounders on D, this would speed up the process of being a solid team.

2.Charles McAvoy is a player i would target.  Big Rd playing for Boston University.

2. I dont know enough beyond the first round to be confident with this pick, so ill leave this to the experts. Sean Day has potential, but hes been known to be a little lazy.

Free Agency: I would definitely look at adding Lucic. I think he would be a great complement to Horvat on the cycle and in front of the net on the PP. Look for a Puck Mover in Free agency.

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Lucic-Horvat-Matthews

Baertschi-Sutter-Burrows

Gaunce-McCann-Dorsett

ex.Kenins etc

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Hutton

ex Pedan

Miller

Marky 

What you guys think??

Who would you trade the Matthews pick for?

Shea Weber? Victor Hedman? Alex Pietroangelo?

I like the lineup, but why do you have Matthews on the wing? He's a center, and by all accounts, better than Horvat.

If Matthews was the Canucks, would Horvat become part of the package to get a true number one defenseman?

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Who would you trade the Matthews pick for?

Shea Weber? Victor Hedman? Alex Pietroangelo?

I like the lineup, but why do you have Matthews on the wing? He's a center, and by all accounts, better than Horvat.

If Matthews was the Canucks, would Horvat become part of the package to get a true number one defenseman?

Sorry you misunderstood. Number 1 is OUR pick, which we should use for Matthews. Second first round for the Vrbata trade, I think should be traded. 

I put matthews on the wing because I see Horvat as more of a centerman.  Matthews can play either center or wing. Obviously in the future we would probably utilize him as a center man.  

I wouldn't want to trade Horvat. I think he has all the intagibles to be our next captain. The guy is a workhorse. You win with guys like that over time. Maybe not this second, but we'd be kicking ourselves in the ass if we parted with him. IMO

1 minute ago, KKnight said:

Sorry you misunderstood. Number 1 is OUR pick, which we should use for Matthews. Second first round for the Vrbata trade, I think should be traded. 

I put matthews on the wing because I see Horvat as more of a centerman.  Matthews can play either center or wing. Obviously in the future we would probably utilize him as a center man.  

I wouldn't want to trade Horvat. I think he has all the intagibles to be our next captain. The guy is a workhorse. You win with guys like that over time. Maybe not this second, but we'd be kicking ourselves in the ass if we parted with him. IMO

Fair enough.

4 hours ago, KKnight said:

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Lucic-Horvat-Matthews

Baertschi-Sutter-Burrows

Gaunce-McCann-Dorsett

ex.Kenins etc

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Hutton

ex Pedan

Miller

Marky 

What you guys think??

Did...you just put Matthews on the wing and Horvat at center?

47 minutes ago, KKnight said:

I don't think I'm the only one that "misunderstood". It's the post that's unclear.

"Draft: 1:Matthews

1: I would trade this pick in a package for immediate help on the backend. We can use our second rounders on D, this would speed up the process of being a solid team."

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:
50 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't think I'm the only one that "misunderstood". It's the post that's unclear.

"Draft: 1:Matthews

1: I would trade this pick in a package for immediate help on the backend. We can use our second rounders on D, this would speed up the process of being a solid team."

Are we gonna be able to move past this bro And discuss the topic at hand? Would this be a good play towards the future or have I been eating too many special brownies? 

6 hours ago, KKnight said:

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Lucic-Horvat-Matthews

Baertschi-Sutter-Burrows

Gaunce-McCann-Dorsett

ex.Kenins etc

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Hutton

ex Pedan

Miller

Marky 

What you guys think??

I like!  Your plan is like seeing a beautiful woman, and you can't wait to introduce yourself.  This excitement is stimulating!

26 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

Damn what a frustrating end to the road trip for the tank. It started out so well going 0-3, but ending it 2-0-1 hurt the tank a lot. So damn frustrating watching Tampa struggle to score with 10 &^@#ing power plays! All I want for Christmas is some losses after the break!

If the Canucks finished last and still ended up drafting fourth because of the new lottery rules, what would you have to live for?

PS: Don't start with that 'I care more about this team than you do' bull$&!#.

4 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

If the Canucks finished last and still ended up drafting fourth because of the new lottery rules, what would you have to live for?

PS: Don't start with that 'I care more about this team than you do' bull$&!#.

I'm not counting on Matthews as that's just the dream scenario, but I'm hoping for a top 5 pick because the separation starts after the top 5. Therefore, 2nd last is the worst I'd want to protect against the doomsday scenario of dropping 3 spots. I'm ok with getting 4th or 5th pick and would call that a successful tank. If we don't finish bottom 2 then I'm going to to hope like hell we win a lottery spot for one of the top 5 picks. 

Archived