The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Low Can They Go? Auston Matthews A Real Possibility

4 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Yeah the one year we would get the 1st overall pick it would be an american player lol.  Nothing wrong with them just makes me sad.  Mathews is gonna be legit tho so no worries there take what we can get!  kids gold.  6'2 215 pounds at age 16-17? not bad lol.  kids fast, big, and strong.

we have had some very good american players.  Kesler, Sutter, Demko, Boeser all really solid american players.  Miller ant to shabby either.  Just one of those things. Got a lot of canadian kids tho so all good.  See if we can get him or chu.

If we get the 1st pick I am torn between trading it or drafting Matthews. Matthews isn't just a every year draft I believe he will be a generational player competing with McDavid each and every year. 

Now trading the pick you could get something amazing. The value would have to be top 5 pick, true #1 defenseman and maybe even a 2nd as well. It would have to be a massive overpayment for me to be happy 

I can see them landing a top 2 or 3 pick.  Oilers will improve once McNugget gets back and the lames are picking it up lately. Miller keeps blowing tires, I cant see that D improving and the Sedins at 35 years old are bound to run out of gas in the new year.

This is kinda similar to 98-99 where they finished with fifty something points and the ended up picking up the Sedins in the draft. That changed this franchise for at least 15 years.

Matthews would be amazing. That said, Chychrun would also be incredible. Realistically we would be looking at Matt Tkachuk or Jake Bean. 

Hope we could also pickup a late first for Hamhuis (Hamhuis, Prust + 3rd for Tinordi, Smith-Pelly, 1st would be a dream come true). 

A haul of Tkachuk and Markus Niemelainen would be solid. 

I also think there will be the usual chorus of moral preachers who will say they should not tank for a pick.  I dont think that they will tank, i actually think that the D plus the coaching, plus the Sedins fading in the second half will all amount to not a very good team.

If Benning does something unwise, like try to improve the team in order to sneak in, and they do finish middle of the pack, then that will do more damage for the long term health of this team than just watching this horror show till the end.

The top 3-4 picks will be fantastic players, the middle of the pack picks will be luck of the draw in terms of being impact NHL players.

20 minutes ago, Swedish elite3 said:

If we get the 1st pick I am torn between trading it or drafting Matthews. Matthews isn't just a every year draft I believe he will be a generational player competing with McDavid each and every year. 

Now trading the pick you could get something amazing. The value would have to be top 5 pick, true #1 defenseman and maybe even a 2nd as well. It would have to be a massive overpayment for me to be happy 

Was also pondering this. Would be a vicarious blast, for all aspiring armchair-GM's...

2 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Go for Matthews. Kids only 17 and better than half our forwards already.

Is he going to school over there or did he drop out? Who needs high school when you're already playing pro.

Smartypants-kid if you ask me. Hangin' in the neutral zone of alps-chocolate & women with lovely accents, just before WW3 gets underway!

#1 rule of drafting: if you have first overall pick, always draft the best rates player

And if you don't want/need that best player, simply trade the pick for a lower one and other high quality assets.

But if you ask me, we need a future franchise center like Mathews, who should nicely inherit Henrik's spot once he's retired.

Matthews or Chychrun might revive this franchise, but the road to either of them is rough, and only getting worse. When your best player tells the team to panic in December, there are a lot of problems with this club. Part of it is WD's horrible system and getting out coached, part of it falls in the vets not named Sedin, they're playing like uninterested 40 year olds. Part of it falls on the defense for their spectacularly bad play, and part of it falls on the management before Benning. The kids are struggling because it's pretty much the first year we've had kids in our line up. This should have happened in 2012 or 2013, and now we have old uninterested vets, and prospects to young to be game changers. I think Benning and Linden are doing good with what they have to work with, but unfortunately they were left a steaming pile of crap. WD's been a disaster. And that's coming from a WD supporter. 

The only 6 players that get passes in my books right now are Daniel, Henrik, Hansen, McCann, Hutton, and Sutter. Those 6 and those 6 only. McCann's effort is there every game, and his defensive game is largely improving, even though he's not scoring. The top line has been stellar. Literally everyone else though has failed miserably. 

Archived