The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

James Neal called for diving, Bruins score 9 seconds into PP

Odd.

This would be his 3rd violation and so he'd have to pay $3000. As well, Neal was the first player to be fined for diving after the new rules surrounding embellishment. If he were to violate a 4th time, he'd pay $4000. If he still doesn't get it and violates for the 5th time, he'd have to pay $5000 and the head coach would be fined $2000 as well.

4 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

Clearly a reputation call by a Ref looking to make a call.

That said, hilarious.

Reputation or not, it was clearly embellishment. Not like the referee had an agenda - Neal acted like he got shot in the face when he wasn't even touched.

The referee had no idea if he was touched or not. Absolutely impossible to see if a stick hits a face from his position, you can't even tell from the video if it hits unless you zoom in.

Like I said, obvious reputation call by a ref looking to make a call.

Just now, The 5th Line said:

This video has no replay but does it not look like Rask's stick swing around and hits him square in the chops?

From what I could see there was no contact. Rask's stick doesn't change direction when it goes past Neal's head suggesting it didn't make contact with anything.

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

This video has no zoomed in, slow mo replay but does it not look like Rask's stick swung around and hits him square in the chops?

Just now, Fateless said:

Alright, I take back my previous comments - looks like it caught him in the chin/mouth.

It kind of does. It seems like it touched him just a little bit.

Just now, Fateless said:

Alright, I take back my previous comments - looks like it caught him in the chin/mouth.

The point is it's a close call, way too close to be that animated about it unless you have an agenda. Maybe he didn't like the "I'm dying" pose afterwards, but if I got called for embellishment on that I'd be calling the ref out for trying to get on youtube.

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Yeah it touches him....but barely.  Watch this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdw4HAUlOBA

Just now, Odd. said:

It kind of does. It seems like it touched him just a little bit.

Doesn't really matter how hard it is - guy got hit with a high stick (even if it was a legal one), the natural reaction is to grab the area that was hit. That's not embellishment to me. If it missed completely (as I originally thought it had), then it was totally a diving/embellishment penalty - but that's not a penalty.

Just now, Fateless said:

Doesn't really matter how hard it is - guy got hit with a high stick (even if it was a legal one), the natural reaction is to grab the area that was hit. That's not embellishment to me. If it missed completely (as I originally thought it had), then it was totally a diving/embellishment penalty - but that's not a penalty.

Remember this?

At 0:45, Franzen gives Thornton the lightest touch to the shin and Thornton completely flops.

Well here, the stick BARELY touches him (actually looked like it him around the shoulder area) and Neal just gives up life.

15 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Remember this?

At 0:45, Franzen gives Thornton the lightest touch to the shin and Thornton completely flops.

Well here, the stick BARELY touches him (actually looked like it him around the shoulder area) and Neal just gives up life.

violent-recently.gif

Archived