The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

For Van Halen Fans

whcanuck

Hey guys

I'm a pretty big Van Halen fan, and that's THE Van Halen lineup of David Lee Roth, Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen and Michael Anthony. I've just started to give the albums they did with Sammy Hagar a chance, and while I don't like it nearly as much as Van Halen, Van Hagar isn't all that bad. Now I know 99.9 % of you are likely going to say that the original lineup is the only Van Halen, which I agree with, but how do you feel about the few albums they did with Hagar? And Van Hagar in general?

The only VH album I own is Balance and although I am not a fan of the vocals Hagar does musically it is awesome.  Aftershock is by far my favorite VH track aside from Eruption.  Feelin' and Amsterdam are also awesome songs from Balance.  And that's all my VH expertise.  As someone who plays guitar I really don't care for either Roth or Hagar tbh but Roth is by far the better fit to front VH. 

12 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

The only VH album I own is Balance and although I am not a fan of the vocals Hagar does musically it is awesome.  Aftershock is by far my favorite VH track aside from Eruption.  Feelin' and Amsterdam are also awesome songs from Balance.  And that's all my VH expertise.  As someone who plays guitar I really don't care for either Roth or Hagar tbh but Roth is by far the better fit to front VH. 

You play guitar and you only own one Van Halen album ? And it is balance ? duuuude !

I am speechless.

Took me a long time to stop blaming DLR for the breakup. He seems like such an ego driven guy that it's easy to assume but it seems that Eddie was the villain.

As for preferences, I like lots of VH songs of both eras.

Some hate Hager outright but Right Now, for example is a great tune.

12 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Took me a long time to stop blaming DLR for the breakup. He seems like such an ego driven guy that it's easy to assume but it seems that Eddie was the villain.

tumblr_lw5rnySpiR1qlw5lio7_r1_250.gif

I prefer the older Van Halen with DLR but I like a lot of the stuff they did with Sammy.for me Eddies guitar playing is what brings me back. he's a true revolutionary on the guitar and will go down as one of the greatest rock guitarists of all time.

New guitar sound.  Nice keyboard.

"Got it bad, got it bad, got it bad... I'm hot for teacher.  Then I said jump.  C'mon and jump."

yada-yada-yada

wtf Hagar era.

yada-yada-yada

Sad old days.

Aaaand done.

Loved the old videos of course.  But at the time I liked Twisted Sisters' more.  And Def Leppard had some better songs imho.  Liked ZZ Top as well.  Eliminator was a great album.  I felt DLR compared to a young Bon Jovi, the tights were too damn tight.  Good voice though.  Good energy.

43 minutes ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

You play guitar and you only own one Van Halen album ? And it is balance ? duuuude !

I am speechless.

To be fair I got that album from Costco when it came out and that was before I even picked up a guitar.  I've heard a lot of old VH but for the most part their hit songs are all over the radio.  92.9 KISM is the only local station I know that plays Eruption and it's usually around 6am, I am sure they have some hidden gems that I haven't heard yet.  I got the tab book for Balance(it's huge lol) but I got more into Thrash metal(Megadeth, Metallica) over the years.  Eddie's guitar playing is insane no doubt but I really struggle with his finger tapping.

46 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

You know after all the dust settled for the umpteenth time I resigned to the fact that Both EVH and DLR were stubborn as f..k and just didnt want the other to win. Sad state of affairs. They could have kept on Rockin  and never missed a beat.

10 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

To be fair I got that album from Costco when it came out and that was before I even picked up a guitar.  I've heard a lot of old VH but for the most part their hit songs are all over the radio.  92.9 KISM is the only local station I know that plays Eruption and it's usually around 6am, I am sure they have some hidden gems that I haven't heard yet.  I got the tab book for Balance(it's huge lol) but I got more into Thrash metal(Megadeth, Metallica) over the years.  Eddie's guitar playing is insane no doubt but I really struggle with his finger tapping.

Some of the best techniques I learned were form Guitar magazine videos that came with some issues.   The finger taps and hammer ons are def insane but once you see the pattern it gets way easier.   Mind you Eddie is a guitar God and trying to read TAB or notes for his songs is pretty daunting to say the least.

Listen to their first albums all the way up to 1984, Eddie will blow your mind.  So raw and raunchy but perfectly technical at the same time.

"Ice cream man" was decades ahead of what any guitarist was doing at the time.   Hearing him shred on that track sounds like it is the 90's.   The Einstein of guitar lol

Was never really much of a Van Halen fan, but it's true that the band just wasn't the same without Roth. It didn't even really sound like the same band.

I always liked Sammy though, at least as a solo artist and with Montrose before that. For my money he's a much better vocalist than DLR.

BTW: No-one has mentioned Gary Cherone. You all much have blocked that memory from your subconscious...:P

I saw Van Halen with DLR in Vancouver in 1984 or 1985. Then with Hagar at The Monsters of Rock show in Seattle a number of years later. Both were great shows. They both did a great job.  But yeah the music speaks for itself and with Roth its hard rock, with Hagar its more pop rock. Not that theirs anything wrong with that.

4 hours ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

Seen both live and IMHO Haggar is a cheap dime store rip off of Diamond Dave. I like maybe 3 Haggar songs thats about it.

The band was on top of the world lol no pun intended until Haggar came along.

Agreed. 

Although I didn't "hate" some of Sammy's work with the band, but it wasn't really VH after Diamond Dave left.

Still listen to what's maybe my favourite album from them in the car occasionally. Eruption into You Really Got Me still kills.

5 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

god i can't stand van halen. talk about a band defined by excess

cheese factor: 100%

eddie-van-halen-1982-pic.jpg

Actually they were/are defined by virtuoso guitar talent.

There is no denying that, musical taste and opinion aside.

if you could play and instrument half as good as evh played guitar, I suppose your comment re what is excessive might hold a shred of merit.

excess was part of the era.  But at least there was some talent to back it in most cases.

dunno bout you but nowadays, mainstream speaking, I'd say it's heavy on excess and light on lasting talent.

eduardo can wear whatever the hell he wants.

Archived