The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nardwuar suffers stroke

GLASSJAW

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2015/12/09/nardwuar-suffers-stroke-recovering-in-hospital/

Beloved Vancouver music icon Nardwuar, The Human Serviette is recovering in hospital after suffering a stroke at the Mint Records Christmas party this past weekend.

The acclaimed interviewer, who wowed the likes of Pharrell Williams and Tyler, the Creator with his unique knack for digging up obscure nuggets from his subjects’ musical pasts, posted a picture Wednesday afternoon (Dec. 9) via Instagram and Twitter, taken from inside the ambulance taking him from the Astoria Pub — where the Mint party was being held — to Vancouver General Hospital.

“Saturday night @Nardwuar suffered a stroke @ the Mint Xmas Party,” stated the post. “He is recovering @ VGH. More to come. Send wishes to nardwuar@nardwuar.com @mintrandy #mintrecords @mintrecords @grantlawrencecbc #nardwuar #vancouver #dootdoo”

Born John Ruskin, Nardwuar suffered a cerebral hemorrhage in 1999, requiring surgery.

A regular at University of British Columbia radio station CiTR, a former MTV correspondent and a member of punk band The Evaporators (which turns 30 in 2016), Nardwuar has been celebrated for his unique guerrilla interview style. Some of his most famous chats include Nirvana, Henry Rollins, Snoop Dogg and Jay-Z.

Nardwuar also notably asked former prime minister Jean Chretien if he approved of pepper spraying protesters during the APEC summit in 1997, to which Chretien replied, “Pepper, I put it on my plate.” He is known for asking politicians to play the “Hip Flip” game with him, especially during election campaigns

I don't know much about strokes, but isn't 47 sorta young for that? Or do they just happen randomly to pretty much anyone? God, another thing to worry about.

For those of us who grew up in the 90s, I'm sure we're all familiar with his shtick through Much Music and MTV, but over the last few years he's been extremely popular on YouTube (300,000+ subscribers, millions of views, etc.)

Hope he pulls through. His interviews with Snoop are always a treat.

Sounds like he may be predisposed to strokes since suffering the cerebral hemorrhage. Or maybe not but it sounds like the two conditions could be related. Hopefully he's not too debilitated by the stroke as they can turn a once functioning human into a sad state.

Saw an interview he did with Travis Barker & Matt Freeman when they were touring with the Transplants...haha, never seen an interview go that poorly, Travis was not into his shtick at all, looked like he wanted to punch him in the face.

Hope he gets better, I've always found him amusing

Just now, falcon45ca said:

Saw an interview he did with Travis Barker & Matt Freeman when they were touring with the Transplants...haha, never seen an interview go that poorly, Travis was not into his shtick at all, looked like he wanted to punch him in the face.

There are a lot of interviews that go poorly. His interviews with Blur and Sonic Youth are particularly awkward... Jay Z seems like he has no personality at all in his interview, too.

21 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2015/12/09/nardwuar-suffers-stroke-recovering-in-hospital/

I don't know much about strokes, but isn't 47 sorta young for that? Or do they just happen randomly to pretty much anyone? God, another thing to worry about.

For those of us who grew up in the 90s, I'm sure we're all familiar with his shtick through Much Music and MTV, but over the last few years he's been extremely popular on YouTube (300,000+ subscribers, millions of views, etc.)

Hope he pulls through. His interviews with Snoop are always a treat.

My dad was in the hospital a year ago. The guy sharing his room was 40 years old and was in recovering from a stroke. I chatted him up as he was pretty friendly. He said he suspected his stroke may have been aided by his consumption of a 2 litre Coke per day. I am no health expert but I don't doubt introducing that much crap into your system is a bad thing and likely contributing factor.

And yes, incidences of stroke and other things like dementia are happening in younger people.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1376030/stroke-patients-are-getting-younger-in-canada-new-report-warns/

As for Nardwuar just a guy doing something a little different and trying to have a little fun. We could use more of that.

Hope he has a full and quick recovery....too young to be afflicted with the possible residue of a stroke (I know, my Mom had one around that age and was paralyzed on her left side).  Really depends on how quick he was attended to, etc.  I know that the physical therapy afterward is also a huge factor, but is difficult as relearning to walk, eat, talk, etc. can be part of it.  Even eating/swallowing was very hard for my Mom after her stroke.

47 minutes ago, Justdean10 said:

doot doola doot doo....

Doo doo.

not really surprised. The guy was a 100mph most of the time.

back in the day I saw him and his circle a lot at various dive punk/indie/whateverlableyouwannuse shows at local Vancouver dumps.  Citr, grant Lawrence and the smugglers - all those people were pretty "spirited and unique" back then.

always seemed well liked. Hope he pulls through well.

2 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

There are a lot of interviews that go poorly. His interviews with Blur and Sonic Youth are particularly awkward... Jay Z seems like he has no personality at all in his interview, too.

His interviews have made me think more highly of a lot of different artists, but it did the opposite with Jay Z for me. Like he was too hot to care.

Either way I wish him well. I still enjoy his interviews of late, and hope he's healthy to continue doing them.

This sucks so bad; Nardwuar is a buddy and has done so much for music especially in B.C but also in the rest of Canada that it isn't funny and his 1999 illness was also a bit of a shock and worry. His persona is irresistible; his interviews are often classics and his bands are pure fun. In his inimitable style he has helped me considerably in my career with little things here and there and is has always been a great cheerleader for any musician who stays true to their vision. Get well soon pal.

I remember when he first made the scene and started doing interviews....there was nothing like it and I was thinking to myself "Is this guy for real?".

The musicians were confused/annoyed/bemused and it actually made for a pretty funny situation one way or the other.

Anyways, hope he makes a full recovery and spends some quality time with friends and family this Christmas season.

5 years back or so, in the summer a friend and I were drinking beer in the park when we realized Nard had been doing an interview at a picnic table behind us the whole time. That was my one interaction with him, after they finished we apologized for 'breaking the law' in the background and they just laughed about it. Always meant to check if I showed up in the finished product. Not Henry Rollins but the other Black Flag singer.

Also at the same time I lived a block from the Astoria and spent a lot of time playing pool and watching hockey there. Saw a lot of crazy stuff happen. Once the entire bar got evacuated cause someone was stabbed in one of the rooms above. Another time was standing around with my roommates smoking and drinking outside (the door guy never seemed to care if you took your beer out) and we saw our neighbour walking by across the street, called him over, and he got run over by a car crossing Hastings. Broke both legs.

I miss the weird feeling of a dj party slowly starting up around me as I sat at the bar watching the Canucks haha.

Best o luck Nard'

58 minutes ago, The Bookie said:

5 years back or so, in the summer a friend and I were drinking beer in the park when we realized Nard had been doing an interview at a picnic table behind us the whole time. That was my one interaction with him, after they finished we apologized for 'breaking the law' in the background and they just laughed about it. Always meant to check if I showed up in the finished product. Not Henry Rollins but the other Black Flag singer.

Also at the same time I lived a block from the Astoria and spent a lot of time playing pool and watching hockey there. Saw a lot of crazy stuff happen. Once the entire bar got evacuated cause someone was stabbed in one of the rooms above. Another time was standing around with my roommates smoking and drinking outside (the door guy never seemed to care if you took your beer out) and we saw our neighbour walking by across the street, called him over, and he got run over by a car crossing Hastings. Broke both legs.

I miss the weird feeling of a dj party slowly starting up around me as I sat at the bar watching the Canucks haha.

Best o luck Nard'

Every time I see or hear about Nardwuar his theme song automatically starts playing in my head..Hope he has quick and full recovery...dudes been around for ever and never shy's to bring the goods..I thought I had a dope record collection!

On a more serious note the word 'stroke' is the worst word to me, my dad had 2 and eventually ending up passing away on his second one, What a trooper though , fought hard through out the whole ordeal..miss you man.

Archived