The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kings Want To Extend F Milan Lucic

SNACanuck

the Kings recently reached out to Lucic’s camp and said ‘listen, let’s get something going in the new year'

This reminds me of a girl I used to occasionally drunkenly hook up with, but still had some weird complicated thing going with her first love high-school boyfriend, assuring me I'd get to meet her family, just now's not a good time....

Update on Kopitar talks - told by multi sources close to situation, currently around 8yrs @ $9.75M (remember, can only get 7yrs on open mkt)

Kopitar has the same agent (Pat Brisson) that got 8yr. $10.5M contracts for Toews and Kane

http://mayorsmanor.com/2015/12/anze-kopitar-contract-nearly-done-with-la-kings/

After Kopitar is signed, there will be little $$ left for Lucic to sign in LA

8 hours ago, SwedeHockey said:

Whether we like it or not, I think it's safe to say that Lucic will be a Canuck next season. As others already pointed out, they simply won't have the money to retain Kopitar and Lucic. 

I wouldn't be so sure.

Playing in sunny LA without the pressure and the microscope he'd be under here in Vancouver might be a pretty appealing option for him. Being in the same time zone as his family might be good enough.

Besides, if he's looking to win another Cup in the next 2 or 3 years, then to me the decision is a no-brainer and he may even take lower than market value to stay there.

In saying this, I'd love to bring looch home. Along with another couple of impact free agents would certainly speed up our re-build.

I guess they could move Gaborik or Brown this offseason...but they'll have to move both by the end of 2016-17 to re-sign Toffoli and Pearson.

They also have to re-up Brayden McNabb this year, who has been solid. Even if they give him a short-term deal, he's going to get another 1.5-2 mil at least. Maybe they'll consider moving Muzzin or Martinez for a cheaper D-man.

A lot of ifs there, and even then, it's tight. But it's tough to look at what they gave up for Lucic in the trade, and think that it was all just for one season. They must have some sort of plan where they could retain him if he fit the team - and he has, like a glove.

6 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

do you want to give a power forward in his late twenties a big money/long term contract?

all recent examples point to it being a stupid idea.

It is a bad idea. Looch might have at most 2 decent years left, the rest of the contract would be an anvil. You cannot play the style he does and keep it up into your 30's, Doesn't matter how big and strong you are, the wear and tear is a killer. Bertuzzi was already on the downside even before he hit 29. I've been a huge fan, watched him play since he was 16, so I come at this as a supporter of his. But he will tail off dramatically, and I'd prefer that not happen in a Canuck jersey.

LA along with Pits and a few other select teams seem to have ways to get around the little issues in the league, like salary caps and rules. It wouldn't surprise me if they found a way to sign him cheap with a huge bonus or some crap. Doesn't bother me either way, I have accepted him as a canuck already, but would be pleased if that didn't come to pass. 

Archived