The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Canucks TV Ratings are down 27%

DonaldBrashear

Source: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/rogers-still-struggling-to-get-tv-ratings-up-for-nhl-221517546.html

Unfortunately for Rogers, those gains are offset by plenty of bad news:

• The early Hockey Night In Canada offering continues to disappoint, averaging a solid 1.86 million but still down 7 per cent from last year and 9 per cent since Rogers took over.
  • Sunday night's Hometown Hockey was moved from City to Sportsnet this season in hopes of boosting ratings. The opposite has occurred, with the 417,000 average down 30 per cent from its inaugural year.
  • Regional ratings are down for the Maple Leafs (9 per cent), Canucks (27 per cent) and Flames (5 per cent.)

Low Canadian dollar, decreasing ticket sales, decreasing merchandise sales, and regional ratings plunging. Not a great time for the Canucks. These stats are also probably a bit older and it's only going to get worse. No surprise I guess judging by how quiet these forums are lately.

Have you seen how horrible HNIC is now? 

WTF does George Snuffleupagus know about hockey?

Announcers are terribad (Dave Randorf? I would rather have screeching static than that know-nothing clown)

Also, all of us like Kelly Hrudey the Flames homer, who I am sure would wear his Flaming C Jersey on air if he could.

My god, IF i want to watch game, I will either use the American feed or mute the tv and use radio play by play.

Rogers is about as good at broadcasting hockey as they are serving their wireless customers.

Just now, Mustapha said:

Announcers are terribad (Dave Randorf? I would rather have screeching static than that know-nothing clown)

Also, all of us like Kelly Hrudey the Flames homer, who I am sure would wear his Flaming C Jersey on air if he could.

My god, IF i want to watch game, I will either use the American feed or mute the tv and use radio play by play.

Rogers is about as good at broadcasting hockey as they are serving their wireless customers.

I agree. But FYI, this 27% stat is for regional canucks games (e.g. John Garrett and John Shorthouse). Like, tonight's game wasn't a regional game. And that's compared to last year (when ratings were probably down from the previous year). So this doesn't even have to do with sportsnet/Georgey boy that much.

I actually bet ratings are down at least 50% from the "good years" (e.g. 2009-2011). Not the same as it used to be that's for sure.

Just now, carlsjunior said:

why?? its a general discussion... should be in canucks talk.....not referring to this particular game... its an over all stat...

A joke.  My comment was intended to be a joke.  After tonight's game it would  have been funny to title the PGT with your title... 

5 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

HNIC has always had epic intros for the playoffs and regular season games. ever since SPN took over it all went down hill. 

3 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

I agree. But FYI, this 27% stat is for regional canucks games (e.g. John Garrett and John Shorthouse). Like, tonight's game wasn't a regional game. And that's compared to last year (when ratings were probably down from the previous year). So this doesn't even have to do with sportsnet/Georgey boy that much.

I actually bet ratings are down at least 50% from the "good years" (e.g. 2009-2011). Not the same as it used to be that's for sure.

Yeah i know.  I just can't pass up an opportunity to rip the new HNIC. 

'RIP' HNIC.....more like 'Rest in Peace'

2 minutes ago, homersexual said:

I blame Mark Messier being on my tv screen all the time. Rogers commercial, in between periods analysis, etc...

Sportsnet seems to be determined to shove him down our throat. Why did they give him an entire intermission to talk about how much he loves Vancouver? Made me want to puke

mess.jpg

Archived