The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

McCann should be sent to WJC.

homersexual

He is struggling right now. Definitely not the same person now as he was at the beginning of the season. WCJ would do him some good, to get his confidence back. I know the Canucks are hurting at centre but call someone up for 2 weeks. Let's see what Friesen or Jones can do. Benning can even claim another centre off waiver if he wants to. Jarret Stoll perhaps?

Yeah, I tend to agree.

I think this is a development season for the team, and frankly I'd feel that McCann's development would be better served by being a star for team Canada than it would be by playing sheltered minutes for the Canucks.

Call up Vey - if he sucks then you can waive him again (not sure if this is actually necessary a second time in one season), if he's good we can keep him and drop one of Virtanen or McCann back to the CHL.  

There will be those who say that he's not actually struggling, even though he clearly is.  But at what point is regression a factor and more importantly, would joining Team Canada for the tourney even help him.  Things to consider.

The simplest thing the Canucks could do is nothing.  Maintain the center depth issue for reasoning and develop McCann in the NHL.  This is likely what they will do.

Our center depth is weak right now.

Henrik Sedin

Bo Horvat

Cracknell

McCann.

If McCann is gone, we'd have to call up Vey who isn't exactly doing well right not to mention Sutter being injured. I really don't know. Benning said he's targeting a depth center.

I think he should go too. He has a long NHL career ahead of him, missing 2 weeks of NHL games to go play against the top players of his age group is going to mean diddly in the grand scheme of his NHL career. 

It would be a positive experience to go be a leader on that team and something he can cherish and look back on as he gets older. The same can't be said of those 2 weeks of NHL games he'll never remember a year from now. 

7 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

He's stone cold at the moment and has been since October.  Is this experience really better?  Or are the Canucks just pushing the gas pedal with the tank being empty?

I think many on CDC don't know what they want anymore.

There was demand for rookies to be in the lineup. I assume most thought someone out of our younger group of players would establish themselves as a star. Now that not one of them has remotely done so, ship them back to junior tournies or whatever to regain their confidence. What is it that fans want? The guys are here and they need to take their lumps to get better or face the fact that they aren't going to cut it at the NHL level. This is how you weed out who has what it takes and who doesn't.

Just as there might be a good experience going to the World Jrs, there are some possible negatives too. Canada might have a bad showing; it's been known to happen sometimes. Where does that leave Virtanen if he goes and plays terrible? Maybe either of them gets hurt and misses a significant chunk of time. Maybe Canada does well and neither Jared or Jake make a dent. As much as they could get good experience and confidence, the opposite may happen - heaven forbid it doesn't, but it's not all sunshine by going. There is a risk.

To me..it does not matter if he stays or goes to the WJC...It would be a great experience for him to go,but he is also coming along nicely at the NHL level (even though his stats don't show it lately).....I think the WJC's are way more beneficial for Jake than Jared.

With Sutter out though,it appears he will most likely stay on the Canucks.

15 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

I think many on CDC don't know what they want anymore.

There was demand for rookies to be in the lineup. I assume most thought someone out of our younger group of players would establish themselves as a star. Now that not one of them has remotely done so, ship them back to junior tournies or whatever to regain their confidence. What is it that fans want? The guys are here and they need to take their lumps to get better or face the fact that they aren't going to cut it at the NHL level. This is how you weed out who has what it takes and who doesn't.

Just as there might be a good experience going to the World Jrs, there are some possible negatives too. Canada might have a bad showing; it's been known to happen sometimes. Where does that leave Virtanen if he goes and plays terrible? Maybe either of them gets hurt and misses a significant chunk of time. Maybe Canada does well and neither Jared or Jake make a dent. As much as they could get good experience and confidence, the opposite may happen - heaven forbid it doesn't, but it's not all sunshine by going. There is a risk.

It's the whole team that's struggling right now though. Better for these guys to be playing at the world juniors and regaining confidence, than to be part of the mess that's going on.

Once they get back the team will hopefully have turned the corner with Sutter and Sbisa rejoining the team. Then they can come back to a confident team and add their confidence to it. That's a much better situation for them IMO.

25 minutes ago, ThatPope said:

I think he should go too. He has a long NHL career ahead of him, missing 2 weeks of NHL games to go play against the top players of his age group is going to mean diddly in the grand scheme of his NHL career. 

It would be a positive experience to go be a leader on that team and something he can cherish and look back on as he gets older. The same can't be said of those 2 weeks of NHL games he'll never remember a year from now. 

Pretty much my feelings exactly. In the long run going to the World Juniors is likely to be much better for McCann. As RonMexico says there are risks, just like there is a risk every time a player goes on the in an NHL game. You have to go with the percentages.

Chances are, going to the world  juniors would be a great experience. And chances are that the next three weeks with the Canucks will not be a great experience.

Going to the world juniors offers the best chance for McCann to get his confidence back, to get some valuable experience playing with and against players his own age -- and it gives the Canucks a good chance to look at Friesen, Jones, and/or Vey.

It sure would be interesting to send him along with Virtanen then have them end up as linemates.

Could be a good way to let them gain confidence dominating the junior game a bit, as well as build chemistry together..

McCann has played good but not great thus far, we can use Vey to fill that gap while McCann is gaining valuable developmental experience, besides nobody else besides the Sedins are scoring anyways

35 minutes ago, Rounoush said:

I agree. The kids need a good place to develop.

I'm not convinced that the WJC's have much to do with 'development'....It's a great tournament,and a great place to showcase your talent as a player....whether it develops you into an NHL player or not,I'm not so sure.

Just now, Honky Cat said:

I'm not convinced that the WJC's have much to do with 'development'....It's a great tournament,and a great place to showcase your talent as a player....whether it develops you into an NHL player or not,I'm not so sure.

Being apart of a potentially gold medal squad where there's a gold or bust mentality can only be good for development

Archived