The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Trade R.Miller to San Jose

SilentSam

Your link didn't work for me, Sabrefan1.  But regardless, you don't need to show us the stats... we know he has nowhere close to the stats that would indicate he is playing well.  But look at the team in front of him.... only an elite goalie would come out of such a situation with reasonable stats and perhaps not even then.

Again, I never thought we should have signed Miller and not for this kind of contract.  He's a shell of his former self, and it was a risk Benning took that simply didn't pay off.  If we could get a 2nd rounder for him, I'm all for giving him away.  However, given that we have young goalies who could use a mentor, I'd rather keep him if we're going to get virtually nothing worthwhile back in return. 

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

Were you dropped on your head a lot as a child?  Eat paint chips as a toddler?  Go to the Don Cherry school of Homerism?

Take a look at where Mr. Outstanding is in relation to the rest of the goalies in the league.  Out of all goalies in the league who have played at least 10 games, Miller ranks #32. 

Your proposal is uninformed, homer ridden, and truly ridiculous.  So basically it fits in with 75% of the posts within the Proposals and Armchair GM'ing section.

Sounds like someone doesn't even bother to watch a Canucks game before posting.........

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

Have you watched a Canucks game this year? He's actually been pretty good for the most part, it's the team in front of him that sucks. I wouldn't put him in the elite echelon but he's better than his numbers this year would have you believe.

but that being said, this trade is ridiculous.

3 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

Miller is here till the end of his contract, unless by miracle some contender next season loses their backup and there is no one else available at the deadline.   Pretty easy to find a 3 goal a game goalie for less than 6 mil that isn't 35.

You are certainly not being fair to Miller. Outside of Hutton and Tanev, the Canucks sport maybe the weakest defense in the league. Put in a better defense and Miller is a wall.

Also, it is infinitely easier to play with the lead than to play for a team that either cannot score, are trailing or lose in overtime, on most nights.

But in good old Vancouver fashion, blame the 1G.

heres a word for you: PATHETIC.

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

You obviously see a TEAM or some kind of DEFENCE in front of him.. I dont...  maybe your mother poked you in the eyeballs with her fork at every breakfast, perhaps all you survived on was the toe jam you could suck from your toes,. and perhaps like Kaitlyn Jennings, you are now unhappy with some life decisions you have made.

touch'e or (2-shay) ?  Who said Mr Outstanding?  ... must be you..  he has played outstanding for us.

There are worse defences in the NHL than the Canucks believe it or not.  Either by poor talent and/or poor schemes being employed. 

I've watched enough Canucks games to know that Miller is far from outstanding.  He's been playing average at best.  At 6 million per year, he's not worth any team trading for. 

Benning has made 14 trades since becoming GM.  If he could actually get something of value for Miller, then I will buy into the "Trader Jim" hype.

We'd have to get a goalie back if we trade our only number one goalie.  It's also worth mentioning that Miller doesn't "suck", the team sucks and Miller's numbers are a reflection of that.  Miller and Vrby could both be trade bait if we continue this trend of losing.  Why wouldn't they waive?  I'd like to see picks and our defense shored up if there are going to be trades.

10 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I've watched enough Canucks games to know that Miller is far from outstanding.  He's been playing average at best.  At 6 million per year, he's not worth any team trading for. 

Not going to terribly disagree but on a good team his stats are probably closer to +/- 15th in the league than 32nd.

On a team that's otherwise good but in net, or a starter goes down somewhere...he'd be a good option and of value.

Not ridiculous Burns + Jones value mind you :lol: but decent value nonetheless.

The team is just locked into the veteran assets we have an no one will pay a premium for any of them .

The bad luck in moving overpriced parts shall continue under JB an TL tenure here ,the sad thing is the UFA will walk for nothing at the end of their contracts and are not worth resigning at any discount if management does the house cleaning should start in July at the top.after the draft.

Never have been a fan of Miller but accepted it an bit my lip ,however Miller has been fairly good not great but just good for a 35 year it is fine but the pay check is numbing.

51 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Anaheim is far more sensible actually and they're in desperate need of something to get winning

I could kinda see them getting a nice haul for one of their goalies then making a move for a reliable back up like Miller. 

9 hours ago, Pears said:

1) Why would San Jose want Miller?

2) Why would we want Jones with Markstrom and Demko coming up, and why would they trade him?

3) Why in God's name would San Jose include Burns on top of that??

agree except for the first point, Miller + Jones would be a good mentor // vet + youth tandem much like Miller + Markstrom right now.

I don't think Markstrom is ready for the full time pressure of starter yet so I'd keep Miller for this and last year just to get Markstrom the time and games under his belt.

27 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Not going to terribly disagree but on a good team his stats are probably closer to +/- 15th in the league than 32nd.

On a team that's otherwise good but in net, or a starter goes down somewhere...he'd be a good option and of value.

Not ridiculous Burns + Jones value mind you :lol: but decent value nonetheless.

Even though I would still be shocked if any team traded for him at 6 mill/yr., I've most likely been a bit harsh on him this season.  I had the advantage of watching him play his best hockey in Buffalo, which is most likely why I get so frustrated watching him play now.  With a better than average defence, you're right, he'd probably be somewhere in the middle of the rankings.  His salary is what makes him not worth trading for.  I was looking at the cap space of each team in the league this morning.  With the exception of a few, most teams aren't in a position to take on that kind of salary unless they dump salary in a separate trade with some other team.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Even though I would still be shocked if any team traded for him at 6 mill/yr., I've most likely been a bit harsh on him this season.  I had the advantage of watching him play his best hockey in Buffalo, which is most likely why I get so frustrated watching him play now.  With a better than average defence, you're right, he'd probably be somewhere in the middle of the rankings.  His salary is what makes him not worth trading for.  I was looking at the cap space of each team in the league this morning.  With the exception of a few, most teams aren't in a position to take on that kind of salary unless they dump salary in a separate trade with some other team.

We can retain salary FYI (or take some back if it's expiring). Also at the deadline, his salary prorates to ~$1.5m. Quite manageable. We'd likely need SOME sort of goalie coming back anyway.

It's not as large of an issue as you make it out to be IMO.

Just now, J.R. said:

We can retain salary FYI (or take some back if it's expiring). Also at the deadline, his salary prorates to ~$1.5m. Quite manageable.

It's not as large of an issue as you make it out to be IMO.

Would Benning be willing to eat some of his salary next year though?  That would be the lynch pin in any decent deal.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

Would Benning be willing to eat some of his salary next year though?  That would be the lynch pin in any decent deal.

Why not? We have lots of cap space next year. But IMO, that would mean better assets coming back.

Archived