The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] With Hank and Sutter both injured, who's our go-to center?

Phil_314

Center Situation Poll  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

(For this discussion please don't include any trade ideas).

With Sutter out for 4-6 weeks and Hank now day-to-day, it's a good time to look at the team's center depth, and it is pretty paper thin.  Fact of the matter is, even with #33 available, the group behind him has been pretty lackluster, and now with him out, I'm curious to hear who everyone believes would be the team's go-to center?

I believe that many will say it's Jared McCann, the phenom who started off so strong with 5 goals after training camp.  However, as a rookie his points have really tailed off, he's been averaging only 12:09/ game in ice time and his face-off % is an abysmal 32.8%.  As of now I'm not sure I would load more responsibility on him and essentially throw him to the wolves, as it may hinder his confidence and development if he continues to get buried in terms of driving possession (he's been 2nd worst in that area on the team).   

Another popular candidate would undoubtedly be Bo Horvat, one of the few revelations from last season and who's been compared to Ryan O'Reilly and Patrice Bergeron since his draft year.  However, the sophomore slump has hit him like a Radko Gudas body-check, as he hasn't been putting up points and sports a -15.  One positive that he has going for him is that he's above 50% in face-offs and should be able to handle more minutes (he's averaging 16:06 now), but would giving him the tough minutes be the best for his development?

An idea which I personally think might work well is putting a veteran winger (e.g. Alex Burrows or Chris Higgins) up the middle.  They're not the strongest in face-offs (with career %'s of 42.3% and 41.8% respectively) but both have experience patrolling center ice and lining up in the top-6 against tougher competition.  Buffering the kids might help for their overall development as well.

Anyone who has faith in Brendan Gaunce/ Linden Vey/ Adam Cracknell or another A.H.L. call-up stepping up can also feel free to voice their confidence, I promise that you will not be ridiculed... that badly :P

So what's everyone's thoughts on this Canuck conundrum (Can-undrum?)?  Discuss! 

But I think Jared McCann will play with Daniel which will make the de-facto number 1 center for a game or two. I think that's a good coaching decision, with a talented winger and some TOI he'll probably create some chances. Not saying McCann is undeniably better than Horvat, but I think he will mesh with Daniel better. 

Horvat.

Who leads the league in minus (with -17).

So yeah, we're screwed.

McCann isn't even ready to be a 2nd line centre (or even close) in the NHL, and probably not ready to be a 3rd line centre either.

My prediction: Someone is going to get hurt from being overplayed. Look at Henrik, he never gets hurt, and yet, he is hurt, because too much pressure was put on his shoulders. He was played in all the hard zones, all the hard faceoffs, all the power plays, etc. If you put McCann or Horvat in those situations they too will crack and end up injured/sore (Horvat may already be injured).

Vey wanted a chance to step up, well here it is!

1 minute ago, Teemu Selänne said:

But I think Jared McCann will play with Daniel which will make the de-facto number 1 center for a game or two. I think that's a good coaching decision, with a talented winger and some TOI he'll probably create some chances. Not saying McCann is undeniably better than Horvat, but I think he will mesh with Daniel better. 

Most likely because McCann is undeniably better than Horvat.

Archived