The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All Purpose WJC/Prospect thread

Gstank29

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

To my eye we had several guys who couldn't keep up with the pace.  I thought Marner, Barzel, Crouse, and others were a bit on the slow side.  

I think Strome was slow too. Don't think Canada will win gold this year, but I think they'll at least medal. Hope they prove me wrong and win gold. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

To my eye we had several guys who couldn't keep up with the pace.  I thought Marner, Barzel, Crouse, and others were a bit on the slow side.  

New time zone, teammates and ice size. 

Make a judgement during actual tournament play. 

USA is the clear favorite but we still have a chance. 

2 hours ago, D'Angelo Russell said:

I think Strome was slow too. Don't think Canada will win gold this year, but I think they'll at least medal. Hope they prove me wrong and win gold. 

I always cheer for us too.  This year the goalie will have to steal a medal.  

2 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

New time zone, teammates and ice size. 

Make a judgement during actual tournament play. 

USA is the clear favorite but we still have a chance. 

I didn't say we couldn't win, although I don't think we will.  I said some of our guys look slow.  For example, I thought Marner, from what I have read about him, was going to be super quick and fast.  He's not.  I thought Konecny skates a lot better, and is the more affective player.  

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I didn't say we couldn't win, although I don't think we will.  I said some of our guys look slow.  For example, I thought Marner, from what I have read about him, was going to be super quick and fast.  He's not.  I thought Konecny skates a lot better, and is the more affective player.  

Marner may not be the fastest out there, but his skill and PATIENCE with the puck is among the best. 

Definitely worthy of that 4th overall pick.

If he was 6'3 200+ he would be considered unstoppable and 1st overall material in my eyes. Didn't know much about the kid prior to the tournament, but watching these first 3 games has convinced me the hype is real. 

16 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Marner may not be the fastest out there, but his skill and PATIENCE with the puck is among the best. 

Definitely worthy of that 4th overall pick.

If he was 6'3 200+ he would be considered unstoppable and 1st overall material in my eyes. Didn't know much about the kid prior to the tournament, but watching these first 3 games has convinced me the hype is real. 

I respect your opinion, but must humbly disagree.  He's small, and slow.  Yes he terrific hands, but he needs to get faster with the puck on his stick.  Goudreau, Kane, and Johnson - to name three small highly skilled players - are all extremely fast with the puck on their sticks.  I don't see that at all from Marner.  

2 minutes ago, Canorth said:

Nasty hit to the head to W. Nylander. Can't seem to put the video directly in. Just scroll down, it's in the article

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/12/26/prized-leafs-prospect-nylander-shaken-up-after-big-hit-at-world-juniors/

Saw that but was watching with the TV on mute and didn't realize it was WN. Can't wait to see the debate this sparks on CDC lol

5 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Saw that but was watching with the TV on mute and didn't realize it was WN. Can't wait to see the debate this sparks on CDC lol

He got crushed center ice against Canada as well, if I remember it right. Hope he's OK, but that is something that can't happen too often.

3 minutes ago, Canorth said:

He got crushed center ice against Canada as well, if I remember it right. Hope he's OK, but that is something that can't happen too often.

Absolutely. You hate to see that in the game but it's going to happen unfortunately. Watching the replay on TV now it actually doesn't even look like a headshot, it's shoulder to shoulder. 

48 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Absolutely. You hate to see that in the game but it's going to happen unfortunately. Watching the replay on TV now it actually doesn't even look like a headshot, it's shoulder to shoulder. 

Yeah, I can't tell with that video I posted,  video kinda starts at the point of contact. 

To be honest that was a high hit but doesn't look like a malicious one, head may have been contacted incidentally but the most part that was a shoulder to shoulder and Nylander should have seen it coming. Regardless, from what I saw of his brief ice-time Nylander and his brother were on another level. If Toronto somehow end up drafting him then watch-out, we may have a new Sedin-like duo but far more dynamic.

And before people start complaining about how "soft" Nylander is for being injured, don't forget all the games Virtanen missed due to injury. Injuries are part of the game, lets see how Nylander bounces back from this one because he's going to be head-hunted all his career.

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters  27m27 minutes ago

Team Sweden Dr says William Nylander will stay off ice for a couple days... still holding out hope he can return during tournament

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters  2h2 hours ago

Swiss forward Calvin Thurkauf suspended one game for his hit on Adrian Kempe http://www.worldjunior2016.com/en/news/thurkauf_suspension/ …

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters  2h2 hours ago

Swiss forward Chris Egli suspended three games for hit on William Nylander http://www.worldjunior2016.com/en/news/egli_suspension/ …

19 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

I kind of blame Nylander for having his head down in the neutral zone. You think a guy who has played over a year in the AHL would know better.

I REALLY like Gauthier, he seems to be a more skilled Virtanen

Nylander has to keep his head up, but the hit was unnecessary.

Archived