The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kassian to EDM

MusclePharm

12 hours ago, coryberg said:

Funny thing is kassian put up much better numbers here than he has since. The difference is CDC expected the world from him and thought he would be the next bertuzzi. 

His last 2 seasons in Vancouver...

115 games 24 goals 45 points 205 Pims

His first 2 seasons in Edmonton....

115 games 10 goals 22 points 215 Pims

10 goals 32 points...

On 4/20/2017 at 8:37 AM, coryberg said:

Corrected... 

But my point still stands.

And a very interesting point it was... thanks for bringing it up.  I checked a little more, and saw that this ice time is about the same (actually marginally lower in EDM).  It's great to see him dealing with this problems and making his way back into the league, but it's by far not an earth-shattering return.

That was a great moment for Zack last night - as Kypreos credited him - in a clutch situation, doing the 'little things' / exactly what was needed of him - driving to the net and parking in front of Martin (the only way they were going to beat him) - and providing an absolutely clutch screen.  A 'small' difference in being on the verge of advancing vs on the verge of elimination.

So many great moments for Kassian in this series - I've found it literally impossible to stay off the Coil bandwagon watching him play such a pivotal role in their wins.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:13 PM, coryberg said:

Funny thing is kassian put up much better numbers here than he has since. The difference is CDC expected the world from him and thought he would be the next bertuzzi. 

His last 2 seasons in Vancouver...

115 games 24 goals 45 points 205 Pims

His first 2 seasons in Edmonton....

115 games 10 goals 32 points 215 Pims

Canucks tried to develop Kassian as a offensive forward. It is a tried and true method that has been used for years in Vancouver to cut the legs from underneath young talent. McClelland on the otherhand put Kassian on the 3rd and 4th lines and gave him TOI as a defensive forward first. When he made mistakes, which he did, he was still played, had his TOI reduced or at times sat down. Over the season he gained more confidence from his coach and his game improved to the point of PK shifts. I told my son at the beginning of the season that he would not regret getting Kassian. CUPs are not always won by the top 2 lines of a team. It is always players like Zach Kassian who end up contributing in a major way.  

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Canucks tried to develop Kassian as a offensive forward. It is a tried and true method that has been used for years in Vancouver to cut the legs from underneath young talent. McClelland on the otherhand put Kassian on the 3rd and 4th lines and gave him TOI as a defensive forward first. When he made mistakes, which he did, he was still played, had his TOI reduced or at times sat down. Over the season he gained more confidence from his coach and his game improved to the point of PK shifts. I told my son at the beginning of the season that he would not regret getting Kassian. CUPs are not always won by the top 2 lines of a team. It is always players like Zach Kassian who end up contributing in a major way.  

All indications were that the Canucks wanted him to be a physical forechecking presence, and that it was Kassian who wanted to be an offensive forward.

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

All indications were that the Canucks wanted him to be a physical forechecking presence, and that it was Kassian who wanted to be an offensive forward.

I always saw it as a desperate Canuck team looking for offense. I think they saw Bertuzzi II in their eyes. The pressure to score was always there. Perhaps that was more a CDC dream.

11 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Kassian spent far more time in the bottom six here than the top 6. They gave him some opportunities in the top six but they were always short lived. The real problem was getting a consistent effort out of him. All three coaches here worked on his defensive game and all they asked of him was to play physical, be hard on the forecheck and hard on the backcheck. Sadly it took him falling into the gutter before he finally got it.

He's being way over hyped, still looks lost defensively to me! He has consistency issues shift to shift he's 26 and shouldn't be having those growing pain brain farts still and those side burns are just not workIn kass, I'm much happier having a guy like Dorsett as our meat and potatoes 

9 hours ago, Baggins said:

Kassian spent far more time in the bottom six here than the top 6. They gave him some opportunities in the top six but they were always short lived. The real problem was getting a consistent effort out of him. All three coaches here worked on his defensive game and all they asked of him was to play physical, be hard on the forecheck and hard on the backcheck. Sadly it took him falling into the gutter before he finally got it.

True enough. Last SJ game Kassian fumbles the puck on a breakout and the Sharks turn it into a goal. Who starts the next shift but Kassian. McLelland has done that pretty consistently through the latter part of the Oiler season. Kassian gets an assist later and puts up a screen on the winner. What impressed me more was how he was directing defensive coverage on a back check during the game. When he was with Van, whether good or bad play, you could not watch the game without noticing him on the ice. I do think Virtanen has a lot of that in him.  

7 hours ago, Boudrias said:

True enough. Last SJ game Kassian fumbles the puck on a breakout and the Sharks turn it into a goal. Who starts the next shift but Kassian. McLelland has done that pretty consistently through the latter part of the Oiler season. Kassian gets an assist later and puts up a screen on the winner. What impressed me more was how he was directing defensive coverage on a back check during the game. When he was with Van, whether good or bad play, you could not watch the game without noticing him on the ice. I do think Virtanen has a lot of that in him.  

Hopefully Virtanen gets it faster than Kassian did.

Archived