The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT Canada vs Switzerland 10AM Dec 29 TSN

Gstank29

25 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I honestly thought at one point that we were going to lose because of this. Not enough team play. Too much fancy moves with one person, before the puck is lost.

Strome's also a bit of a puck hog. Who can really blame him? He's the only one who could be trusted to score, even at a really bad angle.

I don't really like Lowry's coaching. That or the kids that he's been given are spoiled brats.

Team Canada has iced one of its weakest WJC teams in recent memory. First time that we've trailed in games - and first time that we've allowed the Swiss to get to OT.

I almost wanted the Swiss to win - because the team that we have is really mediocre.

2014 with Drouin was the worst I've ever seen TC play as a team. That guy was brutal and the rest of his team followed suit.

However, judging this team based on how TC has performed against prior Suisse teams is completely unfair as the Swiss have come a long way in their development. 

Mitch Marner looks like he made his mum wipe his butt until he was 15.

3 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

2014 with Drouin was the worst I've ever seen TC play as a team. That guy was brutal and the rest of his team followed suit.

However, judging this team based on how TC has performed against prior Suisse teams is completely unfair as the Swiss have come a long way in their development. 

The Swiss played a really physical North American style game. They're one of the better European teams, or at least they're supposed to be. I just really don't think that this version of TC is really that good. At least with 2014's team, they seemed better with their offense.

LOL. Marner's really talented though. Him and Strome both are - and they're one of the leading scorers for the team. They are usually the puck hogs though...

That was brutal.

I know this is a young team and not as elite as some of the others in recent years but damn...

The lack of finish is mind blowing. The amount of blocked shots, misses or random bad angle attempts was insane. 

That win almost guarantees we have no chance at 1st place in our group. 

REALLY disappointed with the team so far this year. 

2 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

That was brutal.

I know this is a young team and not as elite as some of the others in recent years but damn...

The lack of finish is mind blowing. The amount of blocked shots, misses or random bad angle attempts was insane. 

That win almost guarantees we have no chance at 1st place in our group. 

REALLY disappointed with the team so far this year. 

Lets be honestly be never had a shot at 1st in our group to start out with. That US team is stacked and plays as one unit. Lets just hope we don't have to play the Finns because we won't be able to handle Laine and Puljujarvi

Just now, Gstank29 said:

Lets be honestly be never had a shot at 1st in our group to start out with. That US team is stacked and plays as one unit. Lets just hope we don't have to play the Finns because we won't be able to handle Laine and Puljujarvi

Yeah but I actually thought we played pretty decent against the Americans and it could have gone either way. We actually played better most of the game asides from the late mistakes. 

The other 2 games were flat out bad and sloppy. 

I still think this team has enough to get it done, just haven't been playing up to potential nearly enough. 

1 hour ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Virtanen gets bashed so much, yet you have guys like Chartier, Quenneville, Beavullier, hell even Canada's captain Point who were invisible the whole game aside from the shootout goal from Point.

Virtanen hasn't produced or had many good chances in this tournament. It's a fact. I'm not saying he's a bust or anything, but he he hasn't done well in these 3 games, especially as a guy who has played in the NHL.

Virtanen doesn't get bashed for playing poorly in just this game. It's because he hasn't produced at all. Chartier, Beauvillier, and Point have all produced and been noticeable in the first 2 games, unlike Virtanen. Quenneville has been quiet, but he scored a goal last game by going to the front of the net.

You can defend Virtanen if you want, but don't do it at the expense of some of the team's most hard-working players

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Ya but..Virtanen...he's obviously a wasted pick, because "opinion" right?

Am I doing the anti virtanen thing right?

A person who says that Virtanen played poorly isn't necessarily anti-Virtanen.

40 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Drouin had 9 points in 2014.

I honestly don't get the reasoning behind the Marner comment, and many other negative comments about him. Marner is one of the best players on the team. He didn't produce today, but was still playing hard and creating chances. People just hate him because he's a Leafs prospect and he's soft. But when are soft, skilled players ever treated fairly on CDC?

26 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Marner tries to do everything too much by himself. It gets frustrating, yeah it looks cool but it gets old. He has open teammates everywhere as well. He shoots when he should pass and passes when he needs to shoot. He's a very talented skilled player though. 

That's because he has talent. He doesn't do it to look cool, he does it help the team win. I disagree that he makes the wrong offensive decisions. He wouldn't be an elite offensive player if he did. I just think that you (and others) are too critical of him because he's soft and has missed a few opportunities. I know that his only bad game came against the toughest opponent, but I don't see him being that ineffective again. He has turned it up since then.

9 minutes ago, Time Lord said:

Drouin had 9 points in 2014.

In both 2013 and 2014, Drouin was taking minute 30 shifts and in both years Canada failed to medal. I'm not sure what your point is about having 9 points in 7 games, that isn't exactly blowing the lid off the tournament, especially when you look at how many players had more points that him in the tourny.

Virtanen was one of TC's best forwards in the third period and had several chances to scores. Simply stating that something is a fact doesn't make it so. 

18 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

In both 2013 and 2014, Drouin was taking minute 30 shifts and in both years Canada failed to medal. I'm not sure what your point is about having 9 points in 7 games, that isn't exactly blowing the lid off the tournament, especially when you look at how many players had more points that him in the tourny.

Virtanen was one of TC's best forwards in the third period and had several chances to scores. Simply stating that something is a fact doesn't make it so. 

You said Drouin was brutal in 2014. He had 9 points in 7 games. That isn't brutal. Canada failing to medal doesn't change the fact that Drouin wasn't brutal, which was what you said.

Virtanen was good in the third period against Switzerland today. I stand by what I said though.

6 minutes ago, Time Lord said:

You said Drouin was brutal in 2014. He had 9 points in 7 games. That isn't brutal. Canada failing to medal doesn't change the fact that Drouin wasn't brutal, which was what you said.

Virtanen was good in the third period against Switzerland today. I stand by what I said though.

If you watched the games Drouin played, you'd think differently. When it counted, he squandered opportunity after opportunity. 

He had eight points in the first four round robin games and then one point in the next three games (the games that actually mattered).

50 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

If you watched the games Drouin played, you'd think differently. When it counted, he squandered opportunity after opportunity. 

He had eight points in the first four round robin games and then one point in the next three games (the games that actually mattered).

I did watch most of those games, actually. And I remember seeing Drouin play well. So he had 2 games without a point? I guess he must have been "brutal" in those two games. I guess every other star player who doesn't get a point in each game is also brutal. You can't just discount the rest of the games because they were round robin games; they still exist and I'm pretty sure most players produce more in those games, not just Drouin.

9 points is still 9 points, which is not brutal.

Archived