The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music in 2017

GLASSJAW

Yearly CDC tradition celebrated by, like, 3 people now. 2015 had a lot of great stuff released. 2016, I expect, will be even better. New albums confirmed or expected from:

Drake, Kanye West, The Shins, David Bowie, Radiohead, MF DOOM, Vampire Weekend, Grizzly Bear, The Shins, Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, Metallica (most likely), Jesus and Mary Chain, Animal Collective, MIA, Tool (lol, maybe). Frightened Rabbit, Sigur Ros, PJ Harvey, Chance the Rapper, The Strokes, The xx (maybe), Lorde, M83, Run The Jewels (RTJ3, probably), Haim, Frank Ocean, Modest Mouse (maybe), Bon Iver (maybe), Elton John, Bloc Party, Megadeth, Wolfmother, Primal Scream

Viet Cong, Alvvays, Wild Nothing, Diiv, Afgan Wigs, Tim Hecker, Ty Segall, The Wrens (lol, maybe) too.

UPDATE: 2017 EDITION IS LIVE.

frankly, the whole year could be a throw away for all I care, so long as the Radiohead, DOOM, PJ Harvey, and Bowie releases are as good as past material suggests they could be.

Drake and Vampire Weekend will be great, no question. I hope Viet Cong and Alvvays follow up their debuts with good sh-t. The Strokes and The Shins are big question marks, but big potential. Really love the first Wild Nothing singles, and the new DIIV album already leaked (it's good!)

January 8:

David Bowie - Blackstar

Villagers - Where Have You Been All My Life?

January 22:

Conrad Keely (of ...And you will know us by the trail of dead) - Original Machines

Eleanor Friedberger (of Fiery Furnaces) - New View

Half Japanese - Perfect

Megadeth - Dystopia

Savages - Adore Life

Shearwater - Jet Plane And Oxbow

Skilled Mechanics - Skilled Mechanics (sideproject of Tricky and DJ Milo)

Suede - Night Thoughts

The Besnard Lakes - A Coliseum Complex Museum

Tortoise - The Catastrophist

Ty Segall - Emotional Mugger

44 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

Yearly CDC tradition celebrated by, like, 3 people now. 2015 had a lot of great stuff released. 2016, I expect, will be even better. New albums confirmed or expected from:

Drake, Kanye West, The Shins, David Bowie, Radiohead, MF DOOM, Vampire Weekend, Grizzly Bear, The Shins, Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, Metallica (most likely), Jesus and Mary Chain, Animal Collective, MIA, Tool (lol, maybe). Frightened Rabbit, Sigur Ros, PJ Harvey, Chance the Rapper, The Strokes, The xx (maybe), Lorde, M83, Run The Jewels (RTJ3, probably), Haim, Frank Ocean, Modest Mouse (maybe), Bon Iver (maybe), Elton John, Bloc Party, Megadeth, Wolfmother, Primal Scream

Viet Cong, Alvvays, Wild Nothing, Diiv, Afgan Wigs, Tim Hecker, Ty Segall, The Wrens (lol, maybe) too.

Out of all those, will only get Vampire Weekend, Animal Collective, Run the Jewels, and MAYBE Radiohead.

10 years ago I would have purchased The Shins, Sigur Ros, The Strokes, Elton John, and again, MAYBE Weezer, but music just doesn't mean quite like it used to for me. Certainly my mom's son. Really like music (who doesn't), but no longer invest as much time into it as I did in my teens and my early 20s.

26 minutes ago, hatedkid666 said:

MadVillan 2 would be nice

madvillain 2 would be great, but i don't care. i just want a solid DOOM-centric project. if this weird teaser is any indication, we can expect that. it's been, what, 7 years since the last solo doom project?

i liked Key to the Kuffs, but most of the features and collabs haven't been as satisfying as a full release would be

speaking of DOOM, his collab project with Ghostface is supposedly coming out in Feb (according to Ghostface). and Ghostface also says he's got a "monster" album coming out too, the sequel to Supreme Clientele. http://hiphopdx.com/news/id.36812/title.ghostface-killah-provides-mf-doom-joint-album-update

hope its all accurate. 

Mainstream artists like Drake and Kanye should be good stellar.

Looking forward to Wild Nothing's, The Strokes, and Radiohead's releases.  Would also like to get into more PJ Harvey and Bloc Party, so if new albums are coming out, I'll be sure to listen.

Smashing Pumpkins and Tool should be cool for nostalgic reasons (not sure what to expect).  This reminds me that Blink-182 is also releasing something (not sure if they're appreciated around here but again, don't know what to expect and it'll be interesting to see how they line-up without Tom).

Deftones are expected to release an album and I would assume that Incubus's Trust Fall B is probably headed for a 2016 release.  Saw both in the summer so I've been in-tune with both this past year.

I'm pretty sure Tchami and few other electronic/house-based artists should have new content in 2016, so I'll be looking forward to that

---------------

I think I'll find myself here often this year to find new stuff.  Always knew of Grimes and Tame Impala but never really paid much attention to either.  The love for both artists here got me interested and lo and behold, Currents (and Lonerism) and Art Angels (and a bunch of other songs off previous albums) have been my flavour of the day recently.

10 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Mainstream artists like Drake and Kanye should be good stellar.

Looking forward to Wild Nothing's, The Strokes, and Radiohead's releases.  Would also like to get into more PJ Harvey and Bloc Party, so if new albums are coming out, I'll be sure to listen.

Smashing Pumpkins and Tool should be cool for nostalgic reasons (not sure what to expect).  This reminds me that Blink-182 is also releasing something (not sure if they're appreciated around here but again, don't know what to expect and it'll be interesting to see how they line-up without Tom).

Tom DeLonge leaving Blink 182 is probably the only thing that could have happened to the band to make me curious about listening to one of their albums again. Tom has such an unbelievably pompous "artistic" direction these days, his thematic interests (time traveling poets?) and over-produced music is just so bland to me. I never liked Alkaline Trio, but I'm still curious to hear how that guy will mesh with the other two. Dude Ranch was one of the first CDs I bought, and I listened to their 2002 self titled album a lot during a really intense time in my life, so I hold those two albums in high, high nostalgic regard.

speaking of pompous and thematically retarded musicians... I can't imagine Billy Corgan releasing much of interest for me, either. Tool, too, is about as pompous as they come, but because I loved Aenima and Lateralus so much back in the day, I will probably always give anything they do a listen, if only for nostalgia's sake. 10,000 Days was a complete side step as far as I'm concerned. A couple of cool songs, but most of them were just lyrically, thematically and musically nothing new or interesting IMO

8 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

speaking of DOOM, his collab project with Ghostface is supposedly coming out in Feb (according to Ghostface). and Ghostface also says he's got a "monster" album coming out too, the sequel to Supreme Clientele. http://hiphopdx.com/news/id.36812/title.ghostface-killah-provides-mf-doom-joint-album-update

hope its all accurate. 

Man, I'd be thrilled to get anything that felt like DOOM was actually heavily involved. I was listening to Take Me to You Leader yesterday and MM.. Food today and thinking about how much I'd be in on something new from him. I'll believe DOOMSTARKS is actually coming once it's out though, it feels like it's been announced more than once :lol:

El-P officially announced that he had started working on Run the Jewels 3 properly as of two or three weeks ago (I think, I have terrible sense of time).

I'm not a huge fan of him personally, but I think Mick Jenkins has like two projects coming out in 2016. One collaboration album with some guy that I can't think of right now, and his next solo album I think? I don't remember. I didn't care enough to remember.

new Bowie leaked. it's "only" 7 songs (a couple of them are quite long). but two or three of them sorta just float by for me. they're nothing special. the other 4 or 5 are really good. much better than (most of) The Next Day. won't go down as Bowie's best or anything, obviously, but still a really good album IMO. most reviews so far have it at about 8-8.5/10, and I'd agree with that

from Slash jerking off his guitar right into the dudes face, to Axl doing his high kicks in his leather tights, to the $500 worth of hair product shared by the band, that video is like machismo dialled up so high that it just becomes super homoerotic

5 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

from Slash jerking off his guitar right into the dudes face, to Axl doing his high kicks in his leather tights, to the $500 worth of hair product shared by the band, that video is like machismo dialled up so high that it just becomes super homoerotic

Hey I'm just having a bit of a laugh. Don't get too worked up.  

But keep it real Glassjaw.  You said you like liked your rock dirty in some earlier posts - believe in a nirvana thread.

axl is axl but the guy had more stage presence than most frontmen of any band.  

Slash can do whatever he wants because he is recognized as one of the best guitarists in modern times.  He has more talent than the entire strokes lineup, their fashion consultants, photogs, their management team telling them how to pose as a "rock" band.  

The strokes are and were riding the wave of "rock revival" in the early 2000's playing regurgitated garage noise meanwhile either trying to, or genuinely looking disinterested in doing so.  That video sums them up. Boring.  The crowd is boring.  The whole thing is a jerk off fashion school failure.  Seriously, smoking while singing? Wow. Too cool for school and that act is plaid out too.

tight pants? The strokes obviously are heavy dippers into their sisters closet.

Gnr came out with a bunch of talent, an F off attitude, and put out some great songs in a short time span as one big, ugly, offensive train wreck.  And then they imploded.

basically ask yourself who you would have paid to see in the hay day.  

I know I wouldnt want to sit with the rest of those banana republic office jockeys for any money.  Gimme drunken half wit long haired hesh heads and loose women named crystal and candy at a show any day all day.

Archived