The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music in 2017

GLASSJAW

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing really to say about this. Either a fan or your not. Seen the story of O.J. video and liked No ID's production.He did the Production on the first 3 Common albums in the mid 90's and released a solo album that didn't do anything.Needless to say if you like Hip-Hop and are tired of some of the mumble rap of the last 10 years or so this doesn't disappoint. 

R-10540638-1499525765-5904.jpeg.jpg

really enjoying the new Protomartyr single. excited they have a new album coming out in sept - one of my fav post punk outfits

also sorta surprised how much i'm enjoying the new Washed Out. it offers nothing new, is borderline cliche with its "summer chill vibes bro" style, but whatever. always had a soft spot for his music

also excited to hear Andrew Savage (Parquet Courts)'s solo album

Avey Tare (Animal Collective) has a new solo album that has leaked. apparently its more of a throwback to the more folk style of early AC. curious to give that a listen.

loving the new fleet foxes and kevin morby

I'm thinking this might be a bit too mainstream for this thread, but I'm interested to see what The Killers do with their upcoming album. Loved Hot Fuss and Sam's Town but Day and Age and Battle Born were pretty uninspiring for the most part.

"The Man" isn't great so if that's what to expect I don't hold out much hope.

54 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I'm thinking this might be a bit too mainstream for this thread, but I'm interested to see what The Killers do with their upcoming album. Loved Hot Fuss and Sam's Town but Day and Age and Battle Born were pretty uninspiring for the most part.

"The Man" isn't great so if that's what to expect I don't hold out much hope.

Even though they were mainstream, the Killers' first album was great. But it's definitely been diminishing returns since. 

So we don't talk about them, not because they're popular, but because they suck now. 

Saw new Shins and Spoon albums out. Only got a couple of songs into The Shins, didn't care for it. Other than Simple Song, didn't enjoy the last one that much either though. But may not have been in the mood...will try again later.

Right now I'm halfway through Spoon's Hot Thoughts, and it's outstanding. Less poppy than They Want My Soul, probably sounds most like to Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga.

Haven't listened to Broken Social Scene's Hug of Thunder yet, but reviews have been strong.

38 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Saw new Shins and Spoon albums out. Only got a couple of songs into The Shins, didn't care for it. Other than Simple Song, didn't enjoy the last one that much either though. But may not have been in the mood...will try again later.

really disappointed with this one. but I will say I love the song Fantasy Island for some reason

also enjoy Mildenhall 

45 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Right now I'm halfway through Spoon's Hot Thoughts, and it's outstanding.

First thing I said was, "A new Spoon album, awesome!"

Then went onto iTunes and saw the release date. Am I that much of a parent now that I don't even pay attention to when one of my favourite bands releases an album?

5 minutes ago, Monty said:

First thing I said was, "A new Spoon album, awesome!"

Then went onto iTunes and saw the release date. Am I that much of a parent now that I don't even pay attention to when one of my favourite bands releases an album?

Full disclosure: I had no idea either. But got my morning coffee at a place that sells records, and saw it on the shelf. 

Also first notice of new Shins & Future Islands too.

On 7/10/2017 at 11:29 PM, GLASSJAW said:

really enjoying the new Protomartyr single. excited they have a new album coming out in sept - one of my fav post punk outfits

also sorta surprised how much i'm enjoying the new Washed Out. it offers nothing new, is borderline cliche with its "summer chill vibes bro" style, but whatever. always had a soft spot for his music

Avey Tare (Animal Collective) has a new solo album that has leaked. apparently its more of a throwback to the more folk style of early AC. curious to give that a listen.

Huge fan of Protomartyr. Love everything they've released and A Private Understanding is one of their best yet. Already pre-ordered the LP. Sooner or later I'll see them live, but they need to come back to the LA area. 

Also excited for A. Savage's solo LP. Saw Parquet Courts last summer and it was a nice little show. Human Performance was a favorite last year. 

Got some good taste, Glass. 

On 7/10/2017 at 11:29 PM, GLASSJAW said:

Yup that Protomartyr song is great. 

I listened to the leak of Avey's new album and it's alright but it could honestly get cut by half an hour and be a better EP. I liked a lot of the songs near the beginning but it really drags on. Yeah it definitely is more similar to stuff on their back catalog. I think the combo between the folky acoustics and his sampling/synths is nice but his singing doesn't do that much for me on this. 

The new Japanese Breakfast is really good. It's a bit short like the last one but most of the songs are wonderful especially the three singles. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/07/2017 at 4:28 AM, D-Money said:

Even though they were mainstream, the Killers' first album was great. But it's definitely been diminishing returns since. 

So we don't talk about them, not because they're popular, but because they suck now. 

I agree that they've gone downhill. Battle Born was brutal.

Run for Cover was released yesterday. I actually quite like it. Much better than some of their most recent stuff.

http://pitchfork.com/news/neil-young-releasing-lost-1976-album-hitchhiker-shares-title-track-listen/

Neil Young releasing a 'lost' album from 1976. A solo acoustic recording that features the original versions of Powderfinger, Pocahontas, and a couple others that were re-released on other albums

Apparently it was all recorded in one night--all songs laid down in a row "pausing only for weed, beer, and coke" 

haha

After a few listens, I can confidently state that Spoon's Hot Thoughts is one of their weaker albums. However, unlike Transference, it's still actually quite good. This is definitely the best track:

Finally got around to Broken Social Scenes' Hug of Thunder, and I'm sure glad I did. My first impression is it's the best thing they've done since YFIIP. Definitely will be on the rotation this year.

Gave someone new (to me) a try and listened to Big Thief's Capacity. At first, I wasn't sure it was my thing. But by the end of the album I was totally hooked. Possible AOTY here, even considering what I just said about Hug of Thunder.

On 04/08/2017 at 2:08 AM, D-Money said:

After a few listens, I can confidently state that Spoon's Hot Thoughts is one of their weaker albums. However, unlike Transference, it's still actually quite good. This is definitely the best track:

Finally got around to Broken Social Scenes' Hug of Thunder, and I'm sure glad I did. My first impression is it's the best thing they've done since YFIIP. Definitely will be on the rotation this year.

Gave someone new (to me) a try and listened to Big Thief's Capacity. At first, I wasn't sure it was my thing. But by the end of the album I was totally hooked. Possible AOTY here, even considering what I just said about Hug of Thunder.

Yeah Capacity and Hug of Thunder are two of my absolute favourites this year. There is no drop off in the tracklisting of Capacity and it's really a beautiful experience.

I'm reading through these 2017 music choices, and am I the only one who enjoys the new pop music?  I grew up on Elvis, Berry, and Lewis, and these new kids are pretty good.  Beiber, Gomez, Cara, Styles, Sheeran, Mendes, Mars, Weekend, Chainsmokers, Hedley, and a lot more.  Plus, a lot of the best are Canadian!  

Archived