The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks stats and Tanking

numb3r 16

Let me start of by saying that this season and draft could become one that we will never forget, the best way is not to finish first in the league but dead last (or somewhere around there) We already know that this years draft is going to be one of the deepest in the past couple of years. Including high end talent like Matthews, Puljujarvi, Patrik Laine, Jakob Chychrun and brother of William Nylander, Alex. 

So lets get into the numbers and talk standings shall we?

(all these stats are from http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Western/Pacific/Vancouver.html) Keep in mind these are not 100% accurate and for all we know we can get back brandon sutter and win the presidents trophy.

Chances for finishing first- 0-none we will have to go 44-0 if we want a chance

chances for making playoffs, This can change every game so be sure to keep checking the website, Its at 31% right now

and now what we have all been waiting for, the chances of finishing last- pretty damn high actually, the canucks right now for the past 37 games have been 14-15-9 if you count OT losses as a normal loss 14-24 which is just under a 0.400 Win% so i wouldn't count out going 11-29-4 (0.250) win% and ending up last in the league with the highest chance of drafting 1st overall and with the luck we've had with injuries it seems very possible. 

(discuss tanking here)

Tanking and sucking are different.

I don't know how anyone could play to lose.

I do know the Canucks are sucking badly right now, and if the injury parade continues they could suck so hard they could win a very high draft pick, which would be a small victory for us diehards that suffered through the painful suckfest that has been our season since Sutter ripped his gut.

Stats are neat. Losing sucks.

Get rid of sour meat. I'm all outta f#$ks.

We all know that the management is not going to purposely tank and most fans are not up for that approach. However with the way this year has gone there is a very good chance we will be out of the play hunt before the trade deadline. At what point would you like them to through in the towel and prepare for next years draft?  

My thoughts regarding tanking. When I watch a game, I don't cheer for the Canucks to lose. I don't hope for a blowout lost. It is a totally different story if they have been eliminated from the playoffs, then I hope for the highest draft pick. At that point, wins no longer matter.

6 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

A 0.250 winning percentage is very different from 0.400

Yeah that's a major slide. Even with all of our injuries I don't see that happening unless something drastic occurs. Wouldn't be surprised if we just continued along at .500 hockey +/- a few loser points, it depends what Benning does at the deadline though.

4 minutes ago, appleboy said:

We all know that the management is not going to purposely tank and most fans are not up for that approach. However with the way this year has gone there is a very good chance we will be out of the play hunt before the trade deadline. At what point would you like them to through in the towel and prepare for next years draft?  

The way I see it is tanking is a conscious decision that is made well before the deadline. Since the playoff race is so tight every year (multiple teams within a few points of 8th seed) you aren't really putting your best foot forward by selling off assets early when the season hasn't really been decided yet. 

Having said that, I wouldn't be disappointed if teams started a bidding war on some of our players. Picks and prospects would be nice. Will that happen? Doubtful we'll get anyone to overpay for anyone with our luck, but you never know. 

So I guess to answer your question, it really depends on what the return is for throwing in the towel. I'm not the type to get behind it just cause. 

7 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think once Sutter returns we'll be playing much better, throw Tanev and Sbisa into the mix and we should be around .600 hockey. Once Hamhuis returns too this team will be making the playoffs PROVIDED everyone else in the Pacific continues to suck this hard.

Don't know if we will improve THAT much, but damn it's nice to see some optimism about the team!  Thanks!

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think once Sutter returns we'll be playing much better, throw Tanev and Sbisa into the mix and we should be around .600 hockey. Once Hamhuis returns too this team will be making the playoffs PROVIDED everyone else in the Pacific continues to suck this hard.

Hoping those guys make it back in time to give us a shot at another first round exit.

I wouldn't expect moving Vrb and Higgins at the DL will change our fate, but it gives JB a few more pieces to use in a move for a higher pick in June.

Pretty over this losing badly on the reg thing. 

Just now, luckylager said:

Hoping those guys make it back in time to give us a shot at another first round exit.

I wouldn't expect moving Vrb and Higgins at the DL will change our fate, but it gives JB a few more pieces to use in a move for a higher pick in June.

Pretty over this losing badly on the reg thing. 

If we end up 2nd or 3rd in the Pacific (which is most likely if we even make the playoffs) we're facing off against another pretty pathetic .500 Pacific division team, where the Canucks have had a fair bit of success. Could be a first round matchup against the Sharks, Oilers, Flames (less likely Ducks), or Coyotes for example.

I wouldn't be surprised if we made it to the 2nd round and had a top-10 pick in this draft. It's not that unimaginable.

7 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If we end up 2nd or 3rd in the Pacific (which is most likely if we even make the playoffs) we're facing off against another pretty pathetic .500 Pacific division team, where the Canucks have had a fair bit of success. Could be a first round matchup against the Sharks, Oilers, Flames (less likely Ducks), or Coyotes for example.

I wouldn't be surprised if we made it to the 2nd round and had a top-10 pick in this draft. It's not that unimaginable.

If I'm not mistaken it's very unimaginable since playoff teams automatically draft 15*-30 with everyone else in the top 14*

Archived