The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks stats and Tanking

numb3r 16

9 minutes ago, Green Building said:

If I'm not mistaken it's very unimaginable since playoff teams automatically draft 15*-30 with everyone else in the top 14*

That's usually the case but with the Pacific division being so weak, we may be playing .500 or .600 hockey, make the playoffs and technically end up bottom-10 in the NHL standings.

11 minutes ago, Green Building said:

If I'm not mistaken it's very unimaginable since playoff teams automatically draft 15*-30 with everyone else in the top 14*

Thinking it was related to our hypothetical world where we moved Higgins and vrb, still made the playoffs, then used the picks aquired for vrb and Higgins to move up in the draft...

Edit- apparently that's not the case... Okay then downunda, pretty sure it doesnt work that way. Really sure

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

That's usually the case but with the Pacific division being so weak, we may be playing .500 or .600 hockey, make the playoffs and technically end up bottom-10 in the NHL standings.

No I get ya', I think I just disagree. If we make the playoffs our position in the standings is irrelevant... I think. Right? The 16 seed drafts right after all teams that missed the playoffs, so 15th overall. Isn't that the way it has always been? 

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Whaaaat? Making the playoffs automatically starts you, at best 14th overall. At least I'm pretty sure. 

Anyone got Buttmans cell #?

At the conclusion of the regular season, the 14 NHL teams not qualifying for the playoffs are entered in a weighted lottery to determine the initial draft picks in the first round, seeded according to regular season standing. The 30th-place team has the best chance of winning the lottery (20%) while the 29th-place team has an 13.5% chance of winning, with odds diminishing to a 1% chance for the 17th-place team. A single selection from the lottery pool is made, with the winning team improving its draft position to the number 1 spot, and no team dropping more than one place. 

The remaining order is determined by the Stanley Cup playoff results. Whichever team wins the Stanley Cup is awarded the 30th and last pick, while the runner-up is given the 29th pick. The teams eliminated in the conference finals are awarded the 28th and 27th picks, with the 28th pick going to the team with the better regular season record. Remaining division winners are then sorted by points, then the rest of the field are ranked next, filling in the 26th through 15th picks. In both cases, better records result in later picks.

I am not one who wants to see a long term tank strategy. Benning made some good moves and if things had of gone better we would be in the hunt for the playoffs. We might yet turn things around if we get healthy. What I don't want to see again is wasting assets like Vrbata and Prust if we are not solidly in a playoff position. Even a couple of 3rd round picks would help. They will have money to spend for next year.

3 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Thanks for clearing that up. In that case I'd rather watch us really go for it, get into the playoffs, squeak out of the 1st round against a weak Pacific team and get destroyed in the Conference semifinals but at least get the experience for the kids. Winning a playoff round would be huge for Horvat, McCann, Hutton and Baertschi so they know what it takes to win in the playoffs, I'd take that experience and a 15th overall pick over bumming out and ending up with a top-10 or top-5 pick.

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Thanks for clearing that up. In that case I'd rather watch us really go for it, get into the playoffs, squeak out of the 1st round against a weak Pacific team and get destroyed in the Conference semifinals but at least get the experience for the kids. Winning a playoff round would be huge for Horvat, McCann, Hutton and Baertschi so they know what it takes to win in the playoffs, I'd take that experience and a 15th overall pick over bumming out and ending up with a top-10 or top-5 pick.

That's the spirit! No worries, I had to look it up again just to make sure myself.

23 minutes ago, Stanky Legs said:

I think we should tank for the next 3 years so we can once again be a heavyweight. No pain, no gain.

Boooo-urns to that.

You don't have to lose to win.

Craziness, these tankards.

I'm gonna go win at getting drunk, I'll feel like I lost a war tomorrow, but tonight I'll win.

Happy new year CDC, how's that for tanking... Piss-tanking

People keep focusing on the fact that the draft lottery would prevent the Canucks from getting an impact player but the first thing  needed to make a move to aquire a first to third overall is a pick in the top 5-6.You can at least get in the conversation.

3 hours ago, Green Building said:

:excl:

Tanking is for quitters. Quitters are losers. 

Tanking leaves a poopy taste in my mouth.

when you here of quotes coming from daniel sedin that the canucks purposely stop trying in 3 on 3 ot and play to shoot out then you know its possible for the canucks to quit... just look at the games in the past like say game 6 against calgary in the playoffs last year... brutal game... excellent example of what i am referring to.. I love the sedins but that quote just came out the wrong way in so many ways... so sorry to say but the canucks have quit in games and yes are very capable to quit for the season. That being said on the other side of things management will not let it happen. no tanking. owner wants to make the playoffs to bring in the extra revenue...

Archived