The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks stats and Tanking

numb3r 16

3 hours ago, Green Building said:

:excl:

Tanking is for quitters. Quitters are losers. 

Tanking leaves a poopy taste in my mouth.

Tanking is for people who wants to win.  Who the hell remembers  one mediocre season in return a Connor mcdavid, or a jack eichel would have given countless memories.  

Think with your head.

Right now we are on pace for 80 points. That would have put us 7th from the bottom last year.  This year 80 points is probably good for 5th from the bottom.  I say if everything continues as is we have a decent shot at a top 3 pick.  I honestly think we will not be back in a playoff position this year. Its unfortunate but necessary in order to get better.  

39 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Tanking is for people who wants to win.  Who the hell remembers  one mediocre season in return a Connor mcdavid, or a jack eichel would have given countless memories.  

Think with your head.

Think with your own head; that statement is ridiculous. I'll concede that tanking gives the chance at drafting a player of that caliber as long as you concede that it doesn't guarantee a Cup. Because it doesn't.

I think we underestimate the fighting spirit of this injury ravaged team. 

We were on an upward trend and we lost to one of the best and certainly the toughest teams in the West and now all of a sudden the heads go down on CDC and tanking is the order of the day.

However I see a real spirit in this team and a fiery look in Willie's eyes as he rocks side to side like a man who's just sailed 2000 miles on a 10' dinghy.

If we put one over the Ducks we are off and running again.

I'll be happy to take a high pick, if at the end of the day the task proves just too much but until then every game gets me excited and full of hope.

3 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Think with your head.

On the contrary tanking imo is for the mommies boys, the guys who haven't the stomach for a fight, the short attention spanners who  don't watch complete games anyway, who can't see further than the end of their nose and know very little about the game. In short the spoilt quitters.

I don't want 10 years of Oiler meaningless games while other teams draft and trade their team to the playoffs every year. That's for losers and bedroom monkey spankers.

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I think we underestimate the fighting spirit of this injury ravaged team. 

We were on an upward trend and we lost to one of the best and certainly the toughest teams in the West and now all of a sudden the heads go down on CDC and tanking is the order of the day.

However I see a real spirit in this team and a fiery look in Willie's eyes as he rocks side to side like a man who's just sailed 2000 miles on a 10' dinghy.

If we put one over the Ducks we are off and running again.

I'll be happy to take a high pick, if at the end of the day the task proves just too much but until then every game gets me excited and full of hope.

I saw no spirit after the 10 minute mark in the Queens game from anybody, Willie included. I see a pretty fragile team that can only compete against certain teams. But thats what you get with injuries and 4 kids playing in the lineup. I am really interested in what Benning is going to do come the new year or deadline day if the team keeps playing like this. He really has only 2 options, keep the status quo and try to squeek into a playoff spot and that not a guarantee or sell off some vets and bring up a couple of more kids. The latter is most concerning depending on the trade market and values as so far the trade market has been very very slow.  GM's around the league seem to be in cheap mode and don't want to trade for guys with term on contracts. Interesting days ahead.

10 hours ago, luckylager said:

Whaaaat? Making the playoffs automatically starts you, at best 14th overall. At least I'm pretty sure. 

Anyone got Buttmans cell #?

1-3, random lotto with all non-playoff teams. You could finish 1 point out of the playoffs and pick 1st overall in theory

4-14 worst teams based on standings. You could finish dead last and pick fourth in the first round. I believe ties are broken by wins

15-26 playoff teams who don't make it to the East and West finals in terms of points. If the Canucks get it, they'll likely be looking at the 15th pick

27 and 28= East and West final losers. team with more points picks 28th.

29th- Stanley Cup loser

30th Stanley Cup Champion 

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

On the contrary tanking imo is for the mommies boys, the guys who haven't the stomach for a fight, the short attention spanners who  don't watch complete games anyway, who can't see further than the end of their nose and know very little about the game. In short the spoilt quitters.

I don't want 10 years of Oiler meaningless games while other teams draft and trade their team to the playoffs every year. That's for losers and bedroom monkey spankers.

No one is talking about a team that purposelessly tanks or allows the team to get as run down like the Oilers did. What there saying is, if we get to the point where we can see that making the playoffs is a long shot then why wast the year. Why wast assets like Vrbata and Prust. Last year was different  because we were clearly in the playoff race. Why push through just to draft 15th instead of 6th. It could be the difference between a good player and a franchise player. It might be better to move some assets and go with players like Gaunce and Grenier for the rest of the year. The management needs to think about now and the future.

Today's game with the Ducks with tell us a lot about this team.

1 hour ago, ice orca said:

I saw no spirit after the 10 minute mark in the Queens game from anybody, Willie included. I see a pretty fragile team that can only compete against certain teams. But thats what you get with injuries and 4 kids playing in the lineup. I am really interested in what Benning is going to do come the new year or deadline day if the team keeps playing like this. He really has only 2 options, keep the status quo and try to squeek into a playoff spot and that not a guarantee or sell off some vets and bring up a couple of more kids. The latter is most concerning depending on the trade market and values as so far the trade market has been very very slow.  GM's around the league seem to be in cheap mode and don't want to trade for guys with term on contracts. Interesting days ahead.

It would seem more like Jim will not do much but wander in the quick sand barron lands ,he had oportunity to bring in patch talent from the waiver wire an passed ,I do not see any compelling evidence he will deal on Deadline day.Other than to sniff out other offers an go thru the mechanics of saying I tried moving assets with no such luck.

Other GM see Jim Benning choo choo train a rolling, an have thoughtfully put out preliminary offers on a few player an have been low ball offers .Perhaps only Vrbatta an Prust will be moving on for what ever he can get.I can see honestly Prust going back to Montreal I dont know why but if not Florida?.

Next year when we bounce back ,I hope it is with a vengence against all our worst foes.

1 hour ago, ice orca said:

We watched different games then. I don't suppose you watched the Kings v Calgary game, we were in our game a good bit more than Calgary were imo and they had virtually their best team out. Part of our problem is FOs we are constantly battling to get the puck back.

10 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

We watched different games then. I don't suppose you watched the Kings v Calgary game, we were in our game a good bit more than Calgary were imo and they had virtually their best team out. Part of our problem is FOs we are constantly battling to get the puck back.

With face offs it's injuries and kids, kind of what i was getting at in my post.

38 minutes ago, appleboy said:

No one is talking about a team that purposelessly tanks or allows the team to get as run down like the Oilers did. What there saying is, if we get to the point where we can see that making the playoffs is a long shot then why wast the year. Why wast assets like Vrbata and Prust. Last year was different  because we were clearly in the playoff race. Why push through just to draft 15th instead of 6th. It could be the difference between a good player and a franchise player. It might be better to move some assets and go with players like Gaunce and Grenier for the rest of the year. The management needs to think about now and the future.

Today's game with the Ducks with tell us a lot about this team.

Why is that? Surely we are as injured as we have ever been this season. The only thing these games are telling us is just how hard we are battling imo.

That in itself speaks well for the future, don't you think?

As for the just of your post my problem with most of those advocating tanking is they seem to want the team to lose, go read the GDTs, if the team goes a goal down they start wetting their pants for Mathews. It is embarrassing that these people even claim to be fans of this hockey Club.

What you seem to be talking about is nothing to do with "tanking" and has everything to do with managing resources as part of a rebuild. Teams do it all the time. You seem to be confused between the "team tanking" which isn't going to happen and the fans suddenly looking for the worst outcome from games, it is these fans who are "tanking and hanging their insidious desires on the team, which is what I'm talking about.

So there is one part of this "equation" I don't understand. How exactly do you propose to tank? Do you think the coach and GM would have any success in convincing even one player on the team to not put in a full effort and play to lose? The only other option is to trade the players that are carrying  the team right now, the Sedins, Hansen, and a few others. I guarantee all the pro tankers out there would be  the first to complain  after a few games of bad beats. The fact is the way the team is set up right now, is not to tank. Likely we will finish out of the playoffs this year or maybe just squeaking in but I like the way our defensive core is starting to take shape.

I would like to see more development taking place at Centre. We can only wait and hope that Bo's game takes a turn, he is putting in the work and has the skill  so everything is telling me it will, remember he is still young and being asked to play over his head right now.

1 minute ago, ice orca said:

With face offs it's injuries and kids, kind of what i was getting at in my post.

Fair enough but many of our fans just don't seem to see how difficult it is to overcome a team if you can't win your share of face offs, especially against big physical teams. 

They give this team, this coach, no credit for batting through a mountain of injuries while dealing with such a F.O. handicap, in fact it is the opposite they seem to relish every setback and every goal lost and it annoys the f out of me.

Even if the team did tank, they'd probably end up with #14 in the draw.  Now that's Nuck Luck.::D

I don't think any NHL player with an ounce of pride would willingly tank and I sure wouldn't want a tanker on our team.   In some cases the management can do things to make a team tank, but the players can't be asked to purposely lose.  That would be really bad form for any team and could have a negative effect for years to come.

Interesting conversation though.  On the one hand, we have an awful lot of people screaming to have the vets 'dumped' from the team as they are playing badly.  On the other hand, we have so many folks that want to tank.  The #s don't seem to jibe.

But then again...the Canucks are so injury prone this year, they just might end up with a top 5 anyways.

25 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Fair enough but many of our fans just don't seem to see how difficult it is to overcome a team if you can't win your share of face offs, especially against big physical teams. 

They give this team, this coach, no credit for batting through a mountain of injuries while dealing with such a F.O. handicap, in fact it is the opposite they seem to relish every setback and every goal lost and it annoys the f out of me.

You are dwelling on semantics. Yes, I am a 'tanker'! Why? I look at the current roster and assess from there. Canucks held on to many vets longer than was warranted considering the prospect depth. A definition of NHL success might be worth a discussion. To me it is about winning a CUP. What I see with the current Canucks is a org that is slowly building prospect depth. The current depth is by no means close to adequate to ensure future CUP contention.

If I am right how does the org move forward? My take is that Van has to draft a franchise player that a future team can build around. That player does not exist in the system from what I can see. Many potential solid NHL players but that is it. By finishing in the bottom 5 of this years draft will yield, hopefully, a franchise player. To maximize the odds to acquire significant players I therefore hope for a bottom finish. That does not mean I do not watch the team and enjoy the progress of the young talent. I watch them with great interest.

So I guess that makes me a 'tanker'. Hopefully Benning moves most of the vets out in February, keeps some key vets for structure, and then takes his pocket full of picks and choses players in June who can accelerate the rebuild of this org. It will be a 4-5 year process. I have been around hockey long enough to realize that this time frame is the most realistic.   

Today is a big tanking night.  We've received favourable out of town scoreboard help these past few days with teams below us winning. We must do our part today and have Anaheim finally pass us! Today is a must lose game! It's critical we fall behind the other Pacific teams so the decision to sell is automatic and management isn't flip flopping to sell or not! We really need miller back though because I feel much more confident in the tank with him playing because markstrom is stealing us too many points. 

Archived