The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks stats and Tanking

numb3r 16

Fans who call themselves tankers are just trying to find a way to deal with the fact that their team is not very good. I would rather have fans that call themselves tankers then ones who just walk away from the club all together. From the team stand point the tankers are still fans who are emotionally tided to the team. Maybe more attached then ones who want a win now or I will lose interest all together mentality. The tankers are in for the long hall. They want to be part of a rebuild and will be the one's who get emotionally connected with prospects. That bodes well for long term sales.

These are fans who will buy tickets to watch a kid like Matthews or ........

Like was said we will be fighting for a playoff spot at best and that is what we are doing.I hate people want to tank,I'd rather us fight for a spot and just make it then tank as our young guys get better and each year try harder/i mean look at the Oil they have had a hard time and look like they will still for a couple years,I don't want us missing so many years looking at other teams play in the playoffs then us!

4 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Like was said we will be fighting for a playoff spot at best and that is what we are doing.I hate people want to tank,I'd rather us fight for a spot and just make it then tank as our young guys get better and each year try harder/i mean look at the Oil they have had a hard time and look like they will still for a couple years,I don't want us missing so many years looking at other teams play in the playoffs then us!

Of course you don't.  But would you like us to have a ligitimate Cup chance again?  We need elite OFFENCIVE talent to replace the Twins (who were drafted 2 and 3 overall in '99) if we want to get there again.  Those players are available at the top of this draft.  

Again it is very rare for a number 1 to 5 top pick to be so much better then the rest of the picks.It is like the lotto the odd one does win.I would rather make the playoffs and take the chance on getting a great player in the spot we are then tank and get another Alexandre Daigle or Nail Yakupov!

4 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Again it is very rare for a number 1 to 5 top pick to be so much better then the rest of the picks.It is like the lotto the odd one does win.I would rather make the playoffs and take the chance on getting a great player in the spot we are then tank and get another Alexandre Daigle or Nail Yakupov!

I think the odds are much higher in the top five. Some years suck period but this year has some top end talent at the beginning. Yakupov was starting to click with McDavid and is still young. So will you go buy tickets to watch the team get booted in the first round if they squeak in? 

I think the argument to tank or not to tank is futile.  The only thing as fans we are looking at is reality.  This team is in transition.  The talent level is low.  The young players are raw and the vets are getting long in the tooth.  However this team will try to win every game they can and they won't nor should they try to lose.  I have faith in the new regime that they will try to develop our prospects properly and not allow egos to taint our team.  Whether we draft in the top 3 or in the 15-22 range will continue to play out this season.  Linden and Benning will not change their goal to make the playoffs.  However they will not sacrifice our future to give a short term boost in a futile attempt to make it.  The next month or so will determine if we are sellers at the deadline.  I don't see Benning being a buyer this year.  That would be stupid.  If we finish in the bottom of the league it will be because we aren't a good team.... not because we tanked.

14 hours ago, Green Building said:

We didn't have to tank to become heavy last time though.

Well actually...we did draft # 2 AND 3 in the Sedins.  Had gems like Luongo, Malhotra, Torres, Higgins, Ballard Hodgson all drafted 14th or better.  So when you think about it, our key cast was almost entirely comprised of picks drafted outside of the playoffs and more in to the top 10 barring Burrows/Kesler and our defense.

9 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

YES of course I would as you never know what will happen a team gells and can beat anyone!!I would take that chance rather then a top 5 pick!

I will not pay to go and watch Higgins and Burrows choke again. I would pay to watch Grenier and Gaunce . Benning had the right idea surrounding the youth with vets but it is time to cut bate.

If you can't get rid of them and that was the problem he came into was Gillis gave away to many NTC's and to high prices for players!You and others can say get rid of them but if nobody wants them and you only get one buy out we will be stuck with one or maybe both.Benning so far is doing what he said ,everyone was happy and now that its over a year later people are upset like WTF????

43 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

If you can't get rid of them and that was the problem he came into was Gillis gave away to many NTC's and to high prices for players!You and others can say get rid of them but if nobody wants them and you only get one buy out we will be stuck with one or maybe both.Benning so far is doing what he said ,everyone was happy and now that its over a year later people are upset like WTF????

Yes we are stuck with Higgins and Burrows. Maybe they will be better next year. They will probably get a long summer to get healthy.

I want management to learn from mistakes. Last year because we were in the playoff race all year they chose not to move two UFA.s for assets. That turned out to be a mistake. We may have had a couple of more picks in the draft. Matthias and Richardson last year. Vrbata and Prust this year. Who's to say weather they are better than Gaunce, Shinkaruk or Grenier. Just don't wast assets anymore. I am a true Canuck fan and do not want them to lose but I want them to be a cup contender in the near future.

We need a balanced approach. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Well actually...we did draft # 2 AND 3 in the Sedins.  Had gems like Luongo, Malhotra, Torres, Higgins, Ballard Hodgson all drafted 14th or better.  So when you think about it, our key cast was almost entirely comprised of picks drafted outside of the playoffs and more in to the top 10 barring Burrows/Kesler and our defense.

Yeah, but I don't remember us tanking for those picks, we legitimately sucked. In large part to Messier and Keenan. I'm not opposed to drafting high, I just don't like the idea of flopping to get there. 

16 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Yeah, but I don't remember us tanking for those picks, we legitimately sucked. In large part to Messier and Keenan. I'm not opposed to drafting high, I just don't like the idea of flopping to get there. 

That's the thing, this year we are again actually that bad, or by contrast the other teams are that much better.  A top 5 pick is a very distinct possibility

1 minute ago, Heretic said:

Well the PP is certainly abysmal:

The 5 worst Power Play units in December were Canadian teams

30. Canucks

29. Oilers

28, Canadiens

27. Flames

26. Jets

TANK COUNTRY lol.

At least the Future for most of these teams looks bright 

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

That's the thing, this year we are again actually that bad, or by contrast the other teams are that much better.  A top 5 pick is a very distinct possibility

I'm not under the illusion that we are set to dominate the next half of the season, but we'll have to win fewer than 10 games to match our pace in 1998. I don't think we're bad enough to do that. Once a few guys come back from injury I see us more or less continuing .500 hockey with a few OT sprinkled in. But yeah, a top 5 pick isn't entirely out of the question.

The real question is what will the trade market look like come the deadline. If multiple teams are looking for that final piece or 2 and we are out of a playoff spot it would be nice to take advantage of a deadline auction, even if our guys go to the runner up. 

I don't think this team is as bad as they have been playing over the last month.  Injuries have hit hard in a year when depth is thin due to the introduction of young players.  When these players come back, the Canucks will get better results.  I expect a low finish and a pretty good draft pick 8-14. 

There are a bunch of teams who are worse:  Columbus, Edmonton, Buffalo, Toronto, Carolina, Philly.  And there are other teams who are at a similar level, some of which the Canucks will finish ahead of:  Calgary, Winnipeg, Anaheim, San Jose, Arizona, Colorado.

16 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I don't think this team is as bad as they have been playing over the last month.  Injuries have hit hard in a year when depth is thin due to the introduction of young players.  When these players come back, the Canucks will get better results.  I expect a low finish and a pretty good draft pick 8-14. 

There are a bunch of teams who are worse:  Columbus, Edmonton, Buffalo, Toronto, Carolina, Philly.  And there are other teams who are at a similar level, some of which the Canucks will finish ahead of:  Calgary, Winnipeg, Anaheim, San Jose, Arizona, Colorado.

Take away the twins and tell us how bad we are!!

Archived