The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

iss top 30 Januaray rankings is out!

http://www.isshockey.com/iss-hockey-releases-iss-top-30-for-january/

Iss is a reputation scouting service consisting of 12 individual scouts, who come together every month or so, and they literally have to decide who is number 1, as a group.  They have a good reputation (personally as fan if you ask me, I like their rankings) but it is up to everyone.  They were noted for having Kopitar as a top 2 pick in the 2005 (and if you ask me, I think he is the second best player from that draft) draft at the same time, questioned by many for example, having Lawson Crouse as a top 6 pick in the 2015 draft. 

That said we all know... not everyone is perfect, one player can look like an all star in juniors but in the NHL they look average, (Benoit Pouliot)

anyways this is their list.   Will be questioned once again...

Tkathuck is number 3.

Laine is number 4.

work Horse Julien Gautheir is number 12.

EVERONES favorite JUOLEVI is 14

my personal favorite DUBOIS, Pierre-Luc is 18.

that said, keep in mind they are scouts, they've been doing it for years, and it's not one person doing this.

50 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Max Jones in the top 10? errr. I think their rankings are based on potential more than skill at the time of the rankings.

But..."POTENTIAL"  That alone is worth a Crosby on this board.  And as we know, this forum is full of ex scouts and current NHL GMs

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

But..."POTENTIAL"  That alone is worth a Crosby on this board.  And as we know, this forum is full of ex scouts and current NHL GMs

But potential is what you draft for, isn't it? Very few kids are good enough to go NHL right out of the box. Even the one's that are, have to get better\bigger or bust.

I know what you're saying, though.

24 minutes ago, X-PatLostInEdm said:

But potential is what you draft for, isn't it? Very few kids are good enough to go NHL right out of the box. Even the one's that are, have to get better\bigger or bust.

I know what you're saying, though.

Exactly. Every pick is about where a player is projected to max out.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Chychrun could easily fall to us the way Jones did to Nashville. I'd rather Juolevi over Sergachev but Fabbro would be nice too. Not as many defencemen in the top-20 as there used to be but we still need to snag one if not two possibly.

Don't think chychrun will fall to #30 overall

3 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

http://www.isshockey.com/iss-hockey-releases-iss-top-30-for-january/

Iss is a reputation scouting service consisting of 12 individual scouts, who come together every month or so, and they literally have to decide who is number 1, as a group.  They have a good reputation (personally as fan if you ask me, I like their rankings) but it is up to everyone.  They were noted for having Kopitar as a top 2 pick in the 2005 (and if you ask me, I think he is the second best player from that draft) draft at the same time, questioned by many for example, having Lawson Crouse as a top 6 pick in the 2015 draft. 

That said we all know... not everyone is perfect, one player can look like an all star in juniors but in the NHL they look average, (Benoit Pouliot)

anyways this is their list.   Will be questioned once again...

Tkathuck is number 3.

Laine is number 4.

work Horse Julien Gautheir is number 12.

EVERONES favorite JUOLEVI is 14

my personal favorite DUBOIS, Pierre-Luc is 18.

that said, keep in mind they are scouts, they've been doing it for years, and it's not one person doing this.

Lol at Juolevi being number 14. Way too low. He's a top 10 pick at the draft mark my words.

14 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Lol at Juolevi being number 14. Way too low. He's a top 10 pick at the draft mark my words.

I don’t know if I agree with you on that.  And I’m a huge Juolevi fan and have been praising him since the start of the season.  For most fans the first times they’ve seen Juolevi play was in the WJC (specifically against Canada) and they were extremely impressed, but most fans don’t have anything to really compare that to as not all draft eligible players were playing in the WJC. These scouts get to see these players on a regular basis, not just WJC.  They get to see Juolevi play head to head against Sergachev, Clague, and Chychrun on a nightly basis. Most fans don’t and because they haven’t got to see how good these other players our they just “assume” he’s better.   I’m not saying that’s you, but Juolevi didn’t jump in CDC minds until after the one game against Canada and now all of the sudden he’s the best D in the draft class in some posters minds.  Again this is coming for a huge Juolevi fan. 

But just because players weren’t at the WJC, that shouldn’t be held as a knock against a player. 

If Chychrun, or Bean, or Sergachev were Finnish, Czech or Swiss, they would have been in the tournament. 

This front half of the draft is forward heavy,  Matthews, Laine, Puliljarvi, Tkachuk, Nylander, Gauthier, Mcleod, are ahead of Juolevi in BPA,  And Chychrun and Sergachev are better D options.  That list alone puts Juolevi outside of top 10. 

To me Juolevi is very similar to Jake Bean, both have high IQ and puck handle, They don’t really play an overly physically type game and they are both PP QB that like to control the puck.  Neither are big shooters but Bean would have the edge in that area.  Juolevi is a a bit stronger of a two way game and positioning.  To me both of these players will find them self in the middle of the pack,  just like  Karlsson who was taken 15th and Shattenkirk 14th, Fowler 12th, Honka 14th, Morrissey 13th,  Ceci 13th, and Ellis 11th who all have a similar type of game. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fabbro // Juolevi // Chyrchrun // Bensen // Matthews // Puljujarvi // Laine

If we can get 2 out of these players i'd be stoked... 1 of the bolded players I'd be pretty happy.

Mainly on Bensen i'm hoping he drops and is available at the early 2nd or late first area.

Wow the defencemen have really slided in the rankings, there used to be about 15 in the top-30.

That being said, even if we end up with the #2 pick and Matthews is gone I seriously hope we take Chychrun and not Puljujarvi. We don't need another RW thank-you very much, unless Benning is willing to trade one of Virtanen or Boeser for a top defenceman which is FAR harder to do than simply drafting Chychrun. We'd get more value in terms of player by drafting a defenceman in the top-10 than drafting another winger (who may be better than we already have) and trading one of our current wingers for a defenceman.

With that in mind...

Top-1 pick: Draft Matthews

Top-5 pick: Chychrun if available

Top-10 pick: Sergachev/Fabro/Juolevi (in that order)

Top-20 pick (we're not going to get worse than that): Bean/McAvoy (in that order)

There are defencemen scattered through the ranks of the first round so anywhere we pick, we'll get a stab at a quality guy and we have to take that. If we can somehow score ourselves another 1st round pick then sure, grab a forward, but two D-men in the first round would instantly replenish this empty prospect pool.

Archived