The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Draft Day 2016

Do we know who has the #1 overall yet? Could we actually pry that pick away from them, if we don't have it, without handing over most of The Royal Bank? If so, GET IT. For Matthews, I wouldn't shed a tear to lose a couple of good prospects, like McCann and/or Gaunce and/or Shinkaruk.

If not, then Benning really needs to figure out if we are in line to get Chycrun (or however he spells his name), and if using one of those 2nds can guarantee the pick, use it.

3 minutes ago, arcanuck said:

Do we know who has the #1 overall yet? Could we actually pry that pick away from them, if we don't have it, without handing over most of The Royal Bank? If so, GET IT. For Matthews, I wouldn't shed a tear to lose a couple of good prospects, like McCann and/or Gaunce and/or Shinkaruk.

If not, then Benning really needs to figure out if we are in line to get Chycrun (or however he spells his name), and if using one of those 2nds can guarantee the pick, use it.

I beleive the lottery takes place within a few weeks of the Stanley Cup Final being competed.

yes, id like to think we might be able to secure the #1 and hold a top 10 pick.

Ideally we get two picks in the first round, our own, plus hopefully using expiring contracts to move up and get another mid first round pick.

(7-12) Sergachev

(14-19) Juolevi/Fabbro

We only have 1 second round right now (we traded the ANA one in the Sutter dead for a 3rd), Also assuming CBJ doesn't give us their pick this year.  

(37-42) Day

That gives up 3 solid D prospects to work with.  

We need at least 4 defencemen out of this draft. Hutton, Subban, Fedun and Pedan is probably the weakest defensive pool in the entire NHL. There is not one star in that group.

Chychrun, Fabbro, Sergachev and Juolevi are going to go in the top-15 if not top-20, with two of them top-10 easily. We'll probably get a stab at Chychrun if we keep this crap play up, but if we make the playoffs we can still snag one of those 4.

I'd love to get another top-20 pick in the draft use the high pick on a skilled forward, the lower pick on a defenceman (because they'll fall), but we just need one of those elite guys and a couple of later round D-men.

6 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

If we do end up with a top 5 I hope we avoid this bull**** thought process of "we gotta be big to compete in the west" and just take the most skilled forward available.  Stay away from the meat-heads with "NHL size and compete".  

Why in the world with your attitude towards big players would you have THE BIG E as your avatar picture?  Wouldn't you want Eric Lindros on our team?  

In this draft, who is the meathead in the projected top five?  They are all pretty big guys.  Does that make them all meatheads because they are big, do we shouldn't draft them?

Just now, Alflives said:

Why in the world with your attitude towards big players would you have THE BIG E as your avatar picture?  Wouldn't you want Eric Lindros on our team?  

In this draft, who is the meathead in the projected top five?  They are all pretty big guys.  Does that make them all meatheads because they are big, do we shouldn't draft them?

We have a "meathead" on our team that he dislikes so he's taking his anger towards this years prospects 

11 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Ideally we get two picks in the first round, our own, plus hopefully using expiring contracts to move up and get another mid first round pick.

(7-12) Sergachev

(14-19) Juolevi/Fabbro

We only have 1 second round right now (we traded the ANA one in the Sutter dead for a 3rd), Also assuming CBJ doesn't give us their pick this year.  

(37-42) Day

Sergachev certainly looks like a nice 2nd option, if we can't get Chychrun

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I have no attitude with big players, I love me a big dude I'm just saying we need to pick the most skilled forward no matter what his size may be, someone who we think will produce a high number of points for us going forward.  We have enough two way guys already.  

I hope there are no meatheads rated in the top 5 because knowing the Vancouver Canucks he will probably end up on our team

Well, it's good to hear you are okay with bigger players, because the BIG E is one of my all time favourites.  

Trade Vrbata + 2nd to FLO/NSH/OTT for a 1st

Trade Hamhuis + 3rd to NSH/NYI/OTT for a 1st

That leaves us with 3 1sts. Hopefully our pick will be top-10. Lets say we end up picking 7th. The others will be somewhere between 15-25. This leaves us with lots of options heading into the Draft

1) We can keep our 3 picks and take the best player available (with a slight preference for defenseman) with our higher pick and 2 defenseman with our lower picks. We could end up walking out of the Draft with any three of Juleovi, Sergachyov, Fabbro, Bean, Gauthier, Dubois, Benson, DeBrincat, Brown, Jones, Bellows, etc.

2) We could keep our higher pick and trade the 2 lower ones to move up into the early teens. That lets us select 2 quality players with at least one of them being defenseman. We could take any two of Juleovi, Sergachyov, Fabbro, Gauthier, Bellows, etc.

3) We could trade all our 1sts plus probably more to move into the top-5. Probably not top-2, but anywhere from 3rd overall to 5th. I don't think it would be worth it to trade for the 5th overall spot unless Tkachuk goes top-4. If Puljujaarvi, Laine or Chychrun are available at 5th, then we could make the trade. If we move up to 3rd or 4th overall it would be a pretty good move as well. We could walk away with one of Puljujaarvi, Laine or Chychrun.

I think option 2 or 3 would be the best. We either get two very good  players or one great one.

35 minutes ago, arcanuck said:

Who ever has the #1 pick is NOT trading it, I repeat they will NOT trade Matthew's 

1 minute ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Who ever has the #1 pick is NOT trading it, I repeat they will NOT trade Matthew's 

Never thought they would, that's why I phrased it that way (most of The Royal Bank).

29 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

(7-12) Sergachev

(14-19) Juolevi/Fabbro

(37-42) Day

Thanks for the correction :) 

53 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Trade Vrbata + 2nd to FLO/NSH/OTT for a 1st

Trade Hamhuis + 3rd to NSH/NYI/OTT for a 1st

That leaves us with 3 1sts. Hopefully our pick will be top-10. Lets say we end up picking 7th. The others will be somewhere between 15-25. This leaves us with lots of options heading into the Draft

1) We can keep our 3 picks and take the best player available (with a slight preference for defenseman) with our higher pick and 2 defenseman with our lower picks. We could end up walking out of the Draft with any three of Juleovi, Sergachyov, Fabbro, Bean, Gauthier, Dubois, Benson, DeBrincat, Brown, Jones, Bellows, etc.

2) We could keep our higher pick and trade the 2 lower ones to move up into the early teens. That lets us select 2 quality players with at least one of them being defenseman. We could take any two of Juleovi, Sergachyov, Fabbro, Gauthier, Bellows, etc.

3) We could trade all our 1sts plus probably more to move into the top-5. Probably not top-2, but anywhere from 3rd overall to 5th. I don't think it would be worth it to trade for the 5th overall spot unless Tkachuk goes top-4. If Puljujaarvi, Laine or Chychrun are available at 5th, then we could make the trade. If we move up to 3rd or 4th overall it would be a pretty good move as well. We could walk away with one of Puljujaarvi, Laine or Chychrun.

I think option 2 or 3 would be the best. We either get two very good  players or one great one.

I admire your optimism in the Canucks being able to complete these trades (as described). If Benning can pull off these deals then GREAT!!!!! I'm not so confident that they would occur. This being said...

Of your three options, I'm thinking I'd go with number one. Three guys in the first round, one at 7th and having the two lower 1st rounders in the 15 - 25 area is still pretty damn good. 

With the second option, there's a chance that some of the guys you mentioned that it would be worth moving up to get, could still be available in the 15th(ish) spot. And then the Canucks would still get an additional guy in the first round, on top of these first two picks (or move the third 1st for a package of picks/prospects).

For your third option, I don't see anyone with a top-3 pick even considering dropping out of that area. Meh, I could be wrong. The teams in 4th and 5th could possibly be interested. Going from 4th or 5th to 7th (your suggested position for the Canucks' highest pick) might not be that much of a drop for another team, depending on who the other team were looking to draft. And then they'd get two more picks on top of that. This seems kind of too rich for my blood.

regards, G.

Archived