The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is Linden Vey still here?

Mattrek

I get that we have some injuries, but wouldn't it be better to try to bring an AHL guy who deserves a shot with the big league? He's gotten 2 assists and no goals in the 7 games he's played with us. Now that's not anything to scoff at, but that works out to a whopping 12 points for the rest of the year at his current pace. And this comes with him getting valuable power play time and playing with two of the most skilled players on that power play with Baertschi and Horvat. Yet he's got two assists neither of which were real set ups, he was just there and touched the puck.

I've watched him play and every time he has the puck he gets knocked off it immediately. I'm all about guys improving and giving them a chance, but it seems to me this is Wille with his favourite guy again getting opportunities that other players have had to work their asses off for. Maybe I'm missing something? Does his advanced stats show anything? Because the eye test sure doesn't.

We have 4 very good centremen that are capable in McCann, Horvat, Cracknell and Henrik, so he's not here because we need an extra centre and we have much better wingers in the AHL tearing it up who should get a shot. Vey didn't make this team at the beginning for a reason and so far I don't see anything has changed that makes him deserve to be here.

I don't mind him in the lineup as a stopgap.  Gives him one last chance to show if he's worth anything.

But his power play time could be used to develop or build the confidence of McCann, Virtanen, etc.

I'd be all for Vey on the PP if he had earned it with his play and it was a message that this team is a meritocracy, but 2 points in 7 games doesn't scream "belongs on the PP."

1. McCann will be sitting out more to work on his strength etc, so will Virtanen I expect......my thought is that they will keep Vey around as an extra forward to fill in because he can play centre or wing (his is the 6th centre on the depth chart what ever you think of him)
  2. Vey has to clear waivers (not that I think he wouldn't clear)

We traded a 2nd round pick (Roland McKeown) for Vey a former 4th round pick, which doesn't make sense and is stupid imo. He has a decent shot but he's a terrible back checker and thinks he can dangle threw anyone. Then we traded a 2nd round pick for Baertschi a former 1st round pick now that makes more sense. Put Cracknell back in the middle and give Shink or Gauncr a chance. 

15 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

I get that we have some injuries, but wouldn't it be better to try to bring an AHL guy who deserves a shot with the big league? He's gotten 2 assists and no goals in the 7 games he's played with us. Now that's not anything to scoff at, but that works out to a whopping 12 points for the rest of the year at his current pace. And this comes with him getting valuable power play time and playing with two of the most skilled players on that power play with Baertschi and Horvat. Yet he's got two assists neither of which were real set ups, he was just there and touched the puck.

I've watched him play and every time he has the puck he gets knocked off it immediately. I'm all about guys improving and giving them a chance, but it seems to me this is Wille with his favourite guy again getting opportunities that other players have had to work their asses off for. Maybe I'm missing something? Does his advanced stats show anything? Because the eye test sure doesn't.

We have 4 very good centremen that are capable in McCann, Horvat, Cracknell and Henrik, so he's not here because we need an extra centre and we have much better wingers in the AHL tearing it up who should get a shot. Vey didn't make this team at the beginning for a reason and so far I don't see anything has changed that makes him deserve to be here.

He's Uncle Willie's long lost nephew from the Medicine Hat days,

Don't forget he also scored the shoot out winner against the Red Wings, without that point we wouldn't be sitting in a play off spot. We ought to be thanking him rather than defaming his play.

15 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:
  1. McCann will be sitting out more to work on his strength etc, so will Virtanen I expect......my thought is that they will keep Vey around as an extra forward to fill in because he can play centre or wing (his is the 6th centre on the depth chart what ever you think of him)
  2. Vey has to clear waivers (not that I think he wouldn't clear)

I didn't realize you had to put him through wavers every time you sent him down. Thought he clears for the year. Or X amount of games. 

31 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

He got's shady pictures of willie

18 minutes ago, Bradsterrr said:

We traded a 2nd round pick (Roland McKeown) for Vey a former 4th round pick, which doesn't make sense and is stupid imo. He has a decent shot but he's a terrible back checker and thinks he can dangle threw anyone. Then we traded a 2nd round pick for Baertschi a former 1st round pick now that makes more sense. Put Cracknell back in the middle and give Shink or Gauncr a chance. 

At some point, their draft position doesn't mean anything anymore. Ondrej Palat was a 7th round pick and we wouldn't be able to land  him for a 2nd, as an example. Vey has developed beyond what most 4th rounders do and was probably worth a late 2nd/early 3rd (which is what he yielded). In hindsight maybe it hasn't worked but it was a logical gamble at the time.

1 minute ago, khay said:

Vey is here because he is better than Higgins.  

He blew that short handed goal but he did skate back it's just that he should have checked the trailer instead of going after the puck carrier. 

Other than the mess-up on the one powerplay, he had a pretty decent game.  After that give-away, he kept working and then hit the crossbar.  Shortly after that, he assisted on Horvat's goal.  He ended up having an even +/-.  Everybody messes up (ask Jake), it's all about getting back on the horse and giving it your all.  I guess I'm a half glass full poster unlike most of the previous posters in this thread.  

Archived