The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick White signs for Lillehammer IK in Norway

Patrick White (26 y/o), former 1st round draft pick (#25) for the Canucks back in 2007, has signed for my hometown team here in Norway, Lillehammer IK. 

He played his second game for the team today, first on home ice. They lost 2-3 to Manglerud Star, a team from the outskirts of the capital, Oslo. 

Patrick White had an assist on the game tying goal at 2-2. 

Since his last NCAA season with the Univ. of Minnesota, White has bounced around Europe, from 3. and 2. division hockey in Germany, where he had good numbers, to Slovakian hockey and a brief stint in the KHL. He started the 2015-16 campaign in Austria with the Graz99'ers, played 8 games, recording 2 points before heading to second tier hockey in Sweden. 7 games, 2 points before landing in Norway, with Lillehammer IK. 

Lillehammer IK has struggled this season, and is currently second to last in the league, which means playing relegation matches against the last placed team. The team brought in two new players during the Christmas break, Patrick White and Mike Banwell, an undrafted defenseman with 68 matches in the AHL, mostly with the Albany Devils, back in 2010-11/2012. 

I knew about Patrick White as the selection in 2007 and obviously from this forum. I was excited to hear that he had joined the team. Obviously Norwegian hockey is not the go-to-league for most players, but it's what we got. Hopefully Patrick White can step up his game and lead the team into a place, safe from relegation matches in the standings. 

I went to the game today, and at first it seemed like he had some trouble adjusting, which is fair, considering the larger ice surface and the fact that it is only his second game with the team. He seemed slow at first, losing a lot of one-on-one battles and turning the puck over in the neutral zone, but he found his footing towards the end of the game, and played a big role in the game-tying goal. He also showed good hands with some nice dekes. One can only hope that he will spark a better last-half of the season for the team! 

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=11470

I thought it would be interesting for some of you to hear where he is at the moment, and perhaps some observations of his play! 

I guess at the time he looked really good... He accomplished a lot during the 2 years prior to his draft year.

• 2006 – AP All-State honorable mention
  • 2006 – Duluth News Tribune Second Team All-Area
  • 2006 – Iron Range All-Conference
  • 2006 – MSHSL All-Tournament Team
  • 2007 – AP All-State First Team
  • 2007 – AP Player of the Year
  • 2007 – Duluth News Tribune First-Team All-Area
  • 2007 – Duluth News Tribune Player of the Year
  • 2007 – Iron Range All-Conference
  • 2007 – St. Paul Pioneer Press All-State First Team
  • 2007 – MSHSL All-Tournament Team

He said all the right things. Some players just don't make it. It doesn't matter which round you're selected in. If you have a chance, you gotta take it!

32 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Good thing he got himself an education. 

He's basically a cautionary tale now - stay in school, get your degree, ect....

People looking to trash the Canucks' draft history had better also line up every other team in the league as well because no one gets it right every time, no one. 

1 hour ago, TheNorwegianCanuck said:

Patrick White (26 y/o), former 1st round draft pick (#25) for the Canucks back in 2007, has signed for my hometown team here in Norway, Lillehammer IK. 

He played his second game for the team today, first on home ice. They lost 2-3 to Manglerud Star, a team from the outskirts of the capital, Oslo. 

Patrick White had an assist on the game tying goal at 2-2. 

Since his last NCAA season with the Univ. of Minnesota, White has bounced around Europe, from 3. and 2. division hockey in Germany, where he had good numbers, to Slovakian hockey and a brief stint in the KHL. He started the 2015-16 campaign in Austria with the Graz99'ers, played 8 games, recording 2 points before heading to second tier hockey in Sweden. 7 games, 2 points before landing in Norway, with Lillehammer IK. 

Lillehammer IK has struggled this season, and is currently second to last in the league, which means playing relegation matches against the last placed team. The team brought in two new players during the Christmas break, Patrick White and Mike Banwell, an undrafted defenseman with 68 matches in the AHL, mostly with the Albany Devils, back in 2010-11/2012. 

I knew about Patrick White as the selection in 2007 and obviously from this forum. I was excited to hear that he had joined the team. Obviously Norwegian hockey is not the go-to-league for most players, but it's what we got. Hopefully Patrick White can step up his game and lead the team into a place, safe from relegation matches in the standings. 

I went to the game today, and at first it seemed like he had some trouble adjusting, which is fair, considering the larger ice surface and the fact that it is only his second game with the team. He seemed slow at first, losing a lot of one-on-one battles and turning the puck over in the neutral zone, but he found his footing towards the end of the game, and played a big role in the game-tying goal. He also showed good hands with some nice dekes. One can only hope that he will spark a better last-half of the season for the team! 

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=11470

I thought it would be interesting for some of you to hear where he is at the moment, and perhaps some observations of his play! 

Wow! Blast from the past! Thanks for the update TheNorwegianCanuck

I had always wondered what happened to him...

Worst 1st round pick for the Canucks so far. Kid did nothing. Not even a hope of making the big club.

I mean, I know hindsight is always 20/20, but damn!  :picard:

1 hour ago, PlanB said:

He's basically a cautionary tale now - stay in school, get your degree, ect....

People looking to trash the Canucks' draft history had better also line up every other team in the league as well because no one gets it right every time, no one. 

Detroit

5 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Detroit

They picked their share of absolute duds.  They just get overlooked because of the occasional  Zetterberg, Holmstrom,  Datsyuk.

Ever heard of Golubovsky, Jesse Wallin, Tom McCollum......no, didn't think so.

Granted,  Det seems to have minimized the player to dud ratio but as mentioned,  no one ever gets them all right.

Just now, Fanuck said:

They picked their share of absolute duds.  They just get overlooked because of the occasional  Zetterberg, Holmstrom,  Datsyuk.

Granted,  Det seems to have minimized the player to dud ratio but as mentioned,  no one ever gets them all right.

Since 1998

1998- J. Fischer, Datsyuk

1999- Zetterberg

2000- Kopecky, Kronwall

2002- Hudler, Fleischmann, Filppula, Ericsson

2003- Howard, Quincey

2004- Franzen

2005- Kindl, Abdelkader, Helm

2006- Matthias

2007- Smith, Andersson

2008- Nyquist

2009- Tatar, Nestrasil

2010- Sheahan, Pulkkinen

2011- Jurco

2012- Athanasiou

2013- Janmark

2014- Larkin

You're right. 2001. They haven't gotten it every year. And I actually have heard of McCollum, btw.

19 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Since 1998

1998- J. Fischer, Datsyuk

1999- Zetterberg

2000- Kopecky, Kronwall

2002- Hudler, Fleischmann, Filppula, Ericsson

2003- Howard, Quincey

2004- Franzen

2005- Kindl, Abdelkader, Helm

2006- Matthias

2007- Smith, Andersson

2008- Nyquist

2009- Tatar, Nestrasil

2010- Sheahan, Pulkkinen

2011- Jurco

2012- Athanasiou

2013- Janmark

2014- Larkin

You're right. 2001. They haven't gotten it every year. And I actually have heard of McCollum, btw.

For comparison sake, do the Canucks over the same time period.

Look up the article by Byron Bader at NHL NUMBERS.COM  called "Drafting for Success".  Sorry,  can't link it for some reason. 

This pretty much dispels the myth that Detroit owns the draft and is in some way far superior to ever other team out there.

A decade and a half ago they were beating the odds in the draft to a small degree and found a few gems that formed a good core for them, but for the last 15 years the are actually slightly below average in graduating picks to the NHL.

I'm not saying Canucks were doing well all along,  but no one has regularly beaten the draft odds in a way that is far superior than the rest of the league. 

51 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Every player they draft becomes a household name at some point. Actually Golubovsky, Wallin and McCollum have played in the NHL. Patrick White did not. Not only is Detroit good at finding talent, but they're also great at developing them.

The Canucks on the other hand are good at finding solid undrafted players like Burrows and Tanev or acquiring good late round players like half our line-up in terms of the energy guys.

37 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

For comparison sake, do the Canucks over the same time period.

1998-2014

(DET wins) 1998- J. Fischer, DatsyukAllen, Chubarov, Ruutu

(VAN wins) 1999- Zetterberg, Henrik, Daniel

(DET wins) 2000- Kopecky, Kronwall

(VAN wins) 2001- Umberger, Bieksa

(DET wins) 2002- Hudler, Fleischmann, Filppula, Ericsson

(Tie)           2003- Howard, Quincey, Kesler

(VAN wins) 2004- Franzen, Schneider, Edler, Hansen

(DET wins) 2005- Kindl, Abdelkader, HelmBourdon, Raymond

(Tie)           2006- Matthias, Grabner

(DET wins) 2007- Smith, Andersson

(DET wins) 2008- Nyquist, Hodgson

(DET wins) 2009- Tatar, Nestrasil, Connauton

(DET wins) 2010- Sheahan, Pulkkinen

(DET wins) 2011- Jurco, Corrado

(VAN wins) 2012- Athanasiou, Gaunce, Hutton

(VAN wins) 2013- Janmark, Horvat, Shinkaruk

(Tie)           2014- Larkin, Virtanen, McCann, Demko

12 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Look up the article by Byron Bader at NHL NUMBERS.COM  called "Drafting for Success".  Sorry,  can't link it for some reason. 

Good article.   Essentially lays out the stats showing that no one single team has a secret formula for dominating the draft despite what perceptions are out there.  Specifically mentioned Detroit and points out they are perceived to be superior but in reality they aren't. 

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Big difference though, is Canucks have never really picked a "Datsyuk, Zetterberg or Holmstom" 
Pretty much all of our great picks have come from the first round, (Sedins,Kesler Schneider)
Sure we have drafted Bieksa, Hansen, Edler.. but those are no where near the talent Detroit has picked up in the later rounds but I don't know if that always means that they drafter better or just developed better, perhaps had we drafted Dats he wouldn't of developed the same in our system.

Archived