The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick White signs for Lillehammer IK in Norway

7 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Canucks' worst draft year, at least of the 21st Century.

I was gonna say 2009 rivals it, but then I looked up 2007, and not a single player from 07 played one NHL game. How the hell does that even happen? At least Schroeder and Connauton have some NHL experience, but nobody from 2007 played a single game. Nonis might've been even worse then Gillis for drafting, and that's saying a lot.

6 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

Since 1998

1998- J. Fischer, Datsyuk

1999- Zetterberg

2000- Kopecky, Kronwall

2002- Hudler, Fleischmann, Filppula, Ericsson

2003- Howard, Quincey

2004- Franzen

2005- Kindl, Abdelkader, Helm

2006- Matthias

2007- Smith, Andersson

2008- Nyquist

2009- Tatar, Nestrasil

2010- Sheahan, Pulkkinen

2011- Jurco

2012- Athanasiou

2013- Janmark

2014- Larkin

You're right. 2001. They haven't gotten it every year. And I actually have heard of McCollum, btw.

I remember hearing an interview from Ken Holland mentioning that even the Detroit organization never expected Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, to be as good as they became.  He said something along the lines of if they really knew they were gonna be that good, they wouldn't have waited until the later rounds to draft them. 

As for Patrick White, I wonder what happened to him.  I mean, sure he's a 1st round bust, but he was slated as a second rounder by most draft rankings.  He did finish prep hockey on a high note and even progressed pretty well as a freshman in the NCAA.  Suddenly the wheel fell off.  I wonder if it has to do with the situation in the University of Minnesota, since even Jordan Schroeder have yet to be a NHL regular. 

Clearly he still loves the game, hence him playing in lower level tiered hockey in Europe.  Just whatever happened to all that potential.

7 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

Since 1998

1998- J. Fischer, Datsyuk

1999- Zetterberg

2000- Kopecky, Kronwall

2002- Hudler, Fleischmann, Filppula, Ericsson

2003- Howard, Quincey

2004- Franzen

2005- Kindl, Abdelkader, Helm

2006- Matthias

2007- Smith, Andersson

2008- Nyquist

2009- Tatar, Nestrasil

2010- Sheahan, Pulkkinen

2011- Jurco

2012- Athanasiou

2013- Janmark

2014- Larkin

You're right. 2001. They haven't gotten it every year. And I actually have heard of McCollum, btw.

No love for Mantha? He will be a gem soon enough. 

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

I remember hearing an interview from Ken Holland mentioning that even the Detroit organization never expected Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, to be as good as they became.  He said something along the lines of if they really knew they were gonna be that good, they wouldn't have waited until the later rounds to draft them. 

As for Patrick White, I wonder what happened to him.  I mean, sure he's a 1st round bust, but he was slated as a second rounder by most draft rankings.  He did finish prep hockey on a high note and even progressed pretty well as a freshman in the NCAA.  Suddenly the wheel fell off.  I wonder if it has to do with the situation in the University of Minnesota, since even Jordan Schroeder have yet to be a NHL regular. 

Clearly he still loves the game, hence him playing in lower level tiered hockey in Europe.  Just whatever happened to all that potential.

From what I remember watching that draft, he wasn't even on most analysts top 60 so his chances were slim from the get go. 

17 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

From what I remember watching that draft, he wasn't even on most analysts top 60 so his chances were slim from the get go. 

According to the final Central Scouting report, he was listed as #23.  Albeit, the 2007 draft was pretty weak after the first round anyways, outside of a few.  Legit/impact NHLers after Patrick White are only about a dozen.... of course, they are PK Subban, Jamie Benn, Jake Muzzin, Wayne Simmond, etc.  The rest are borderline or just regulars.... the Nick Bonino, Yannick Weber, etc. 

15 hours ago, canucksnhl said:

Every player they draft becomes a household name at some point. Actually Golubovsky, Wallin and McCollum have played in the NHL. Patrick White did not. Not only is Detroit good at finding talent, but they're also great at developing them.

The Canucks on the other hand are good at finding solid undrafted players like Burrows and Tanev or acquiring good late round players like half our line-up in terms of the energy guys.

Detroit drafted their fair share of duds, especially in their early years.  The players you've mentioned are hardly household names, nor or are many others.  Kory Locure, Curtis Brown were 1st rounders that never got a sniff and there's plenty more in subsequent rounds.

Luckily for D, they hit it out of the park when they do get a top 5 pick and have managed to find some gems in the later rounds.  As you have said, they have a very good development program over the last 2 decades.

I agree that they have a better record than the Canucks, but they do manage their share of players that nobody but a diehard Red Wing fan has ever heard of.

15 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

1998-2014

(DET wins) 1998- J. Fischer, DatsyukAllen, Chubarov, Ruutu

(VAN wins) 1999- Zetterberg, Henrik, Daniel

(DET wins) 2000- Kopecky, Kronwall

(VAN wins) 2001- Umberger, Bieksa

(DET wins) 2002- Hudler, Fleischmann, Filppula, Ericsson

(Tie)           2003- Howard, Quincey, Kesler

(VAN wins) 2004- Franzen, Schneider, Edler, Hansen

(DET wins) 2005- Kindl, Abdelkader, HelmBourdon, Raymond

(Tie)           2006- Matthias, Grabner

(DET wins) 2007- Smith, Andersson

(DET wins) 2008- Nyquist, Hodgson

(DET wins) 2009- Tatar, Nestrasil, Connauton

(DET wins) 2010- Sheahan, Pulkkinen

(DET wins) 2011- Jurco, Corrado

(VAN wins) 2012- Athanasiou, Gaunce, Hutton

(VAN wins) 2013- Janmark, Horvat, Shinkaruk

(Tie)           2014- Larkin, Virtanen, McCann, Demko

So it's not really as cavernous of a divide as people tend to think.

16 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

1998-2014

To me, this is average drafting vs some notoriously bad drafting (for stretches). One thing that's always stuck out to me with Detroit is what the hell are they doing in the first round? A lot of the guys you've listed aren't first rounders, and the ones that were are often inferior players to Detroit's later round picks of the same year.

18 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Wow! Blast from the past! Thanks for the update TheNorwegianCanuck

I had always wondered what happened to him...

Worst 1st round pick for the Canucks so far. Kid did nothing. Not even a hope of making the big club.

I mean, I know hindsight is always 20/20, but damn!  :picard:

We did get Erhoff for him though, so that wasn't bad. I'd say Libor Polasek was the worst draft pick in our history. Stoyanoff was bad too, but we did trade him for Naslund.  As long as you get good return for a pick, it kind of negates the bad pick IMO.

3 hours ago, Patchoball Cannons said:

We did get Erhoff for him though, so that wasn't bad. I'd say Libor Polasek was the worst draft pick in our history. Stoyanoff was bad too, but we did trade him for Naslund.  As long as you get good return for a pick, it kind of negates the bad pick IMO.

You're right! I had not remember that. I googled it to keep you honest and found this article. Good memory!

Canucks acquire Brad Lukowich and Christian Ehrhoff

Friday, 08.28.2009 / 10:53 AM PT / News

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks President & General Manager Mike Gillis announced today that the Canucks have acquired defencemen Christian Ehrhoff and Brad Lukowich from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for defenceman Daniel Rahimi and forward Patrick White. 

“We are pleased to be adding Christian and Brad to our defensive group,” said Mike Gillis. “Defence has been an area we wanted to add skill and depth to and this trade has strengthened our group considerably. We would like to thank both Daniel and Patrick for their commitment and efforts with our organization and we wish them both well in their careers.” 

Ehrhoff, 27, recorded eight goals, 34 assists (8-34-42) and 63 penalty minutes in 77 games with the Sharks last season. Ehrhoff made his NHL debut in 2003-04 and has played 341 career regular season games, all with the Sharks, recording 132 points (25-107-132) and 244 penalty minutes. In 38 NHL Playoff games he has added 15 points (2-13-15) and 40 penalty minutes. The 6-foot-2, 205 lbs. native of Moers, Germany, was drafted by San Jose in the 4th round, 106th overall in 2001. 

Lukowich, 33, played 58 games with the Sharks last season recording eight points, 12 penalty minutes and a plus/minus of +5. The Cranbrook, BC, native has played for five NHL teams over 11 seasons with Dallas, Tampa Bay, NY Islanders, New Jersey and San Jose. The 6-foot-1, 201 lbs. defenceman has played 640 regular season games, recording 111 points (22-89-111), 365 penalty minutes and is a career +38. He was originally drafted in the 4th round, 90th overall by the New York Islanders in 1994. 

Daniel Rahimi was selected by the Canucks in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft while Patrick White was selected by Vancouver in 2007.

Source: http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=490636

6 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Detroit drafted their fair share of duds, especially in their early years.  The players you've mentioned are hardly household names, nor or are many others.  Kory Locure, Curtis Brown were 1st rounders that never got a sniff and there's plenty more in subsequent rounds.

Luckily for D, they hit it out of the park when they do get a top 5 pick and have managed to find some gems in the later rounds.  As you have said, they have a very good development program over the last 2 decades.

I agree that they have a better record than the Canucks, but they do manage their share of players that nobody but a diehard Red Wing fan has ever heard of.

I was exaggerating about the household names thing. But yes in the past they have drafted better.

Although I'm feeling good about Jim Benning's drafting ability and implementation process of our youth.

On 8 January 2016 at 6:08 AM, Canucks Curse said:

white - total bust. why doesnt this guy go get a real job.

The guy is playing hockey for a living whilst you are probably working some boring assed 9-5 job for a wage that is nowhere near what he has been earning.

So whilst you sit behind our keyboard calling him a bust (btw it wasn't HIS fault he was picked in the 1st round) he is probably enjoying a pretty good lifestyle doing something he enjoys.

On 08/01/2016 at 5:44 PM, thejazz97 said:

1998-2014

1999. Det wins. Zetterberg 2 Stanley cups. Con Smyth 2008. Sorry bro i love the Sedins. But Zetty was and is better.

1 minute ago, MovesLikeDatsyuk said:

1999. Det wins. Zetterberg 2 Stanley cups. Con Smyth 2008. Sorry bro i love the Sedins. But Zetty was and is better.

Well. The Sedins are better. Zetterberg was on an overall better team.

That being said, I like Zetterberg more than the Sedins. But it's close.

Archived