The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick White signs for Lillehammer IK in Norway

On 1/7/2016 at 6:26 PM, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Wow! Blast from the past! Thanks for the update TheNorwegianCanuck

I had always wondered what happened to him...

Worst 1st round pick for the Canucks so far. Kid did nothing. Not even a hope of making the big club.

I mean, I know hindsight is always 20/20, but damn!  :picard:

Everyone loves to hate on white, and yes it was a bust of a pick, but as many people have said go to hockey db and look at how many other teams have had busts in the first round, it happens man

Upside many people are forgetting is he was part of the Erhoff deal. He may have been a bust but he still had a HUGE impact on this organization by getting us a player who was a huge factor in our 2011 run.

Sometimes busts work out in strange ways. Alex Stojanov was another bust - guess who he landed us 1 for 1? Nazzy

You want to get depressed over our drafting and trades? How about this one

We all know the Neely trade haunts us, in so many ways - I remember it at the time being a kid and just fuming because even I could see what we had w Neely at such a young age! But...many say well we gave up Glen Wesley in that trade for Pederson as well (our first pick which was 3rd overall)...people don't realize who was taken at 15 that year....Joe Sakic

We could have had Cam Neely and Joe Sakic on the the Nucks...how many cups would that have got us? 3? 4?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2016 at 8:36 PM, Justdean10 said:

Big difference though, is Canucks have never really picked a "Datsyuk, Zetterberg or Holmstom" 
Pretty much all of our great picks have come from the first round, (Sedins,Kesler Schneider)
Sure we have drafted Bieksa, Hansen, Edler.. but those are no where near the talent Detroit has picked up in the later rounds but I don't know if that always means that they drafter better or just developed better, perhaps had we drafted Dats he wouldn't of developed the same in our system.

Look at your sig.

Vancouver with their 6th round pick select Pavel Bure

:ph34r:

P.S. Cant believe Subban and Benn were picked after this guy oh well...hindsight 20/20

1 hour ago, Nooks said:

Look at your sig.

Vancouver with their 6th round pick select Pavel Bure

:ph34r:

P.S. Cant believe Subban and Benn were picked after this guy oh well...hindsight 20/20

Pavel Bure is a different case. People didn't think he was eligible. People knew what kind of player he was going to be, but didn't think he could be drafted until 1990, which then I'm pretty sure would have gone 1st round. 

• 2 months later...

The season is over for Lillehammer IK, having played relegation matches where they managed to keep their spot in the Norwegian elite league. Very poor season for the team, though the silver lining is that a lot of young guys from the academy and the under-aged teams have had good amounts of ice time over the course of the season. Some of the guys show real promise, hopefully next year will be a better one. 

Patrick White finished with 2-9-11 in 17 games played, most of them centering the top line. 8 PIMs and -2. Showed good skill and good hands most of the time, specially in playmaking. The must frustrating thing is perhaps his work ethic. He floats around a lot, but seems to end up in the right place most times. However, the collective performance has not been there this year. Coming in to the team this late in the season, already in a spot for relegation matches probably does something to the motivation. 

White is signed through this season only, as is most of the other players on the team, except for a few Norwegian players. I doubt he will be back next year. The teams recent performance has made it difficult to keep the good "import players". 

Archived