The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Emerson Etem | RW/LW

Gstank29

7 hours ago, Mattrek said:

I am so freaking excited about this trade! Jensen was a lost cause for the Canucks and in exchange we get a guy with an extreme work ethic and one who at all levels (except the NHL) has managed to score consistently game in and game out? This is another absolute steal for Benning.

He managed to get a decent prospect out of Jensen who probably wouldn't have even received an offer from the Canucks next year. I am super impressed and this is also why I really, really like Benning and what he's doing.

Most GM's go for the big trades and concentrate on the star players whereas Benning is willing to play small ball with projects that have extremely low risk for the Canucks if they don't pan out. If only 1 good player comes out of trades like these he has schooled the competition.

He did it with Baertschi, Vey and now has done it with Etem. Benning always looks for any potential trade to make the team better, ones that I bet no other or very few NHL teams knew about until it was after the fact. He really does his homework.

Etem may or may not work out, but at the price we paid for him that point is moot. Worst case scenario he's an AHL'er for life, best case scenario he becomes a strong 3rd liner. Absolutely no downside to this trade whatsoever. Bravo Benning, bravo.

I think Etem has the potential to be a top 6 powerfoward. Mainly on the second line but could fill in on the first opposed as to just topping out on the third. 

The way Benning keeps talking about Etem it wouldn't be a stretch to think Canucks plan on trying this kid with the Sedins. He keeps saying Etems going to be a goal scorer for us.

With his speed and size plus ability to get in on the forecheck that might be the plan.

I think he's a 4th liner to start and in a couple of years if he can develop into a solid 3rd liner who chips in around 15 goals a year it's a huge win, but I think Benning has bigger plans for this kid. I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy with the Sedins after he gets into game shape, 10+ games from now.

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

The way Benning keeps talking about Etem it wouldn't be a stretch to think Canucks plan on trying this kid with the Sedins. He keeps saying Etems going to be a goal scorer for us.

With his speed and size plus ability to get in on the forecheck that might be the plan.

I think he's a 4th liner to start and in a couple of years if he can develop into a solid 3rd liner who chips in around 15 goals a year it's a huge win, but I think Benning has bigger plans for this kid. I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy with the Sedins after he gets into game shape, 10+ games from now.

Being in shape seems to be a common theme for this guy.  He even said it himself in an interview yesterday.  At least he knows he's got to work harder.  This guy could be a super steal.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Being in shape seems to be a common theme for this guy.  He even said it himself in an interview yesterday.  At least he knows he's got to work harder.  This guy could be a super steal.

He hasn't played much this year. I along with others have already explained this to you earlier old man,  game shape and practice shape is different. All the practice in the world isn't like playing actual games. 

He's been benched lately and hasn't played much hockey, so he's not in game shape. Doesn't mean he's lazy or doesn't take working out seriously. 

As far as the super steal that depends on what you expect from this guy. If he's good for 12 to 15 goals a year, is a solid 3rd liner who forchecks and uses his size to get to the net I'd be very happy. That's a steal in my eyes.

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

He hasn't played much this year. I along with others have already explained this to you earlier old man,  game shape and practice shape is different. All the practice in the world isn't like playing actual games. 

He's been benched lately and hasn't played much hockey, so he's not in game shape. Doesn't mean he's lazy or doesn't take working out seriously. 

He himself stated he needs to work harder.  That's a fact.  Yes I'm old and furry too:P

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He himself stated he needs to work harder.  That's a fact.  Yes I'm old and furry too:P

Of Course he needs to work harder, he's been benched for half the season and just got traded for a guy who's likely to be playing in Europe next year.

Lookup conditioning stints and why teams send their players to the AHL on conditioning stints. That could be your project to research for the next day or two. 

I was responding to you saying  Being in shape seems to be a common theme for this guy  people on CDC including myself have already explained to you what "game shape" vs "out of shape" means, but you keep repeating the same thing. Just trying to keep you on your toes and making sure you're taking in what you're reading. lol. Carry on.:P

Good trade tho. Look forward to seeing how it plays out.

11 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Ben Birnell @OD_Birnell 4h4 hours ago

If you're curious, former Comets player Nicklas Jensen scored in his debut with Hartford tonight.

I'd be actually quite happy for him if this is the wake up call that finally gets him to 'bring it' more consistently and make an NHL career for himself. 

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I'd be actually quite happy for him if this is the wake up call that finally gets him to 'bring it' more consistently and make an NHL career for himself. 

yeah. i hope he does well in hartford, and eventually for the rangers. 

had a rough start here in van. 

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I am inclined to agree. I think Etem starts off bottom six role, and moves on up. 

I don't know about Etem playing with the Sedins. Might start with a third line role, perhaps, because he's got a good shot, and lots of speed. 15 goals would be decent. 20 goals would be awesome ::D 

I still like Jensen's upside and wish him the best.

Great risk reward trade, a total no brainer with Etem's size and exceptional speed there's absolutely no downside.

One of JB's better coin flips, now if only he could package a couple of dead weight contracts and pick up a decent D-man, man the D needs to be shored up at the trade deadline.

Good simple hockey trade. Both teams get a player with talent who may just need a change of scenery and approach.

I hope Jensen can get his game together in NY and I'm looking forward to seeing what Etem can do for the Canucks and how he develops in the Canucks system.

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I am inclined to agree. I think Etem starts off bottom six role, and moves on up. 

I don't know about Etem playing with the Sedins. Might start with a third line role, perhaps, because he's got a good shot, and lots of speed. 15 goals would be decent. 20 goals would be awesome ::D 

Acquiring Etem lets Benning put Virtanen into the AHL next year if that is needed. (Virt looked great last night). Highly likely Vrbata is gone by February so there will be a few games to assess the RW. IMHO the rate of change will accelerate as vets are moved and youth from Utica is moved up. 4th line next fall: Shink-Gaunce-Dorsett

10 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Of Course he needs to work harder, he's been benched for half the season and just got traded for a guy who's likely to be playing in Europe next year.

Lookup conditioning stints and why teams send their players to the AHL on conditioning stints. That could be your project to research for the next day or two. 

I was responding to you saying  Being in shape seems to be a common theme for this guy  people on CDC including myself have already explained to you what "game shape" vs "out of shape" means, but you keep repeating the same thing. Just trying to keep you on your toes and making sure you're taking in what you're reading. lol. Carry on.:P

Good trade tho. Look forward to seeing how it plays out.

Oh, it's a great trade.  I see Etem as a very impactful middle six forward for us for the next 10 years.  He's going to be especially effective in overtime.  

BUT...

Why did we get this player for nothing?  Why were 28 other teams not willing to pay a 5th round pick, and one of their future Eurpean league 23 year old minor league guys?  IT SEEMS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.

Then, we start hearing about his lack of fitness, which he confitms himself that he needs to work harder.  He was being sent down by the Rangers, because he was not in game shape, which equals NOT FIT.  When guys get hurt, and miss games, they most often DO NOT GET SENT DOWN to get fit.  They work extremely hard, while not in games, to stay fit and regain lost fitness.  Think of our team, and guys who have been injured.  Which of those guys, when coming back, got sent down for extra work?  

11 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Meaning he will get Dorsett type of minutes, which is more than every forward in Vancouver not named Sedin. 

Archived