The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Emerson Etem | RW/LW

Gstank29

58 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Oh, it's a great trade.  I see Etem as a very impactful middle six forward for us for the next 10 years.  He's going to be especially effective in overtime.  

BUT...

Why did we get this player for nothing?  Why were 28 other teams not willing to pay a 5th round pick, and one of their future Eurpean league 23 year old minor league guys?  IT SEEMS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.

Then, we start hearing about his lack of fitness, which he confitms himself that he needs to work harder.  He was being sent down by the Rangers, because he was not in game shape, which equals NOT FIT.  When guys get hurt, and miss games, they most often DO NOT GET SENT DOWN to get fit.  They work extremely hard, while not in games, to stay fit and regain lost fitness.  Think of our team, and guys who have been injured.  Which of those guys, when coming back, got sent down for extra work?  

Perspective

This is the 5th time that Benning has made this trade (I think).  Which is, picking up an early 20's player who is on the cusp of making the NHL and is in tough because of either depth on the club he's playing for, or he's just a little slow to develop and has to clear waivers.  Here's the list:

1. Linden Vey
  2. Adam Clendening
  3. Andrey Pedan (similar trade but doesn't fit the model exactly)
  4. Sven Baertschi
  5. Emerson Etem

So the trade is a bit of a flyer.  Benning has given up 2 2nd round picks, 1 3rd round pick, a prospect taken in the 5th round in the most recent draft and a prospect who was looking like he could be a bust.  Ironically, with the Etem trade, maybe the Rangers are looking at it in exactly the same way; maybe they think that a change of scenery can benefit Jensen.  We like Etem's tools, let's see if he can bring it.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Oh, it's a great trade.  I see Etem as a very impactful middle six forward for us for the next 10 years.  He's going to be especially effective in overtime.  

BUT...

Why did we get this player for nothing?  Why were 28 other teams not willing to pay a 5th round pick, and one of their future Eurpean league 23 year old minor league guys?  IT SEEMS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.

Then, we start hearing about his lack of fitness, which he confitms himself that he needs to work harder.  He was being sent down by the Rangers, because he was not in game shape, which equals NOT FIT.  When guys get hurt, and miss games, they most often DO NOT GET SENT DOWN to get fit.  They work extremely hard, while not in games, to stay fit and regain lost fitness.  Think of our team, and guys who have been injured.  Which of those guys, when coming back, got sent down for extra work?  

Well, we got him because he's not all that good so far at the NHL level. He hasn't been able to stick in the NHL this year, he's been benched for half the season, doesn't have a goal etc. etc. He's another one of those players who don't have "hockey IQ". It's a good trade but unwise to start projecting him as the 2nd coming of Cam Neely. 

That's why I keep repeating that if he can be a solid 3rd liner who gives you 12 to 15 goals this is a huge win. I think CDC would be wise to lower their expectations a bit.

Pretty much you got a player who can be an NHLer for a player who's never going to make your team, big win.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

BUT...

Could be as simple as the NYR wanting to clear CAP space for the February free for all. Same reason for Benning to flag Higgins for a possible deal. Couple of teams do deals and the whole league gets excited and edgy.  

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

BUT...

OK old man, I know old people get stuck in their ways but it's annoying to keep having to repeat myself. I may stop responding after a while. My grandfather can be this way, no matter the facts he believes what he believes. 

Bo Horvat  has been sent on a conditioning stint.

Jake Virtanen has been sent on conditioning stint.

Etem was scheduled by the NYR to go down on a 3 game conditioning stint the day he got traded. 

Canucks sent David Booth on a conditioning stint, he was one of the most "fit" players in the NHL, the guys a workout freak, gym rat.

Canucks sent Markstrom down for a conditioning stint.

Maple Leafs sent Bernier and Frankie Corrado on a conditioning stints.

Buffalo tried to send Grigorenko on a conditioning stint but it was rejected by the NHL.

Steve Y said Drouin being sent down was a conditioning stint albeit not technically, he was sent down after reports leaked of trade request but Steve Y did say (believe him if you will) that it was generally speaking a conditioning stint.

Fairly general practice.

On 1/9/2016 at 9:24 AM, chilliwiggins said:

he was sent same day to the minors, just before he was traded and Hansen was put on injured reserve so etem was brought onto the team as an emergency callup once Hansen returns and they exceed the maximum limit on the roster my understanding is, because of the status he was brought onto the team, exempts him from elegibilty of being claimed via waivers.   look up emergency callup in the waiver rules and don't forget he was traded for a player on the Utica roster so that as well could be a factor

No, again you're totally wrong. It was a conditioning assignment that was initiated but he never started because he was traded to the Canucks. It was not an emergency recall (if you have evidence to the contrary, please supply it) but rather the Canucks choosing to bring him directly to Vancouver rather than use the conditioning assignment. You're confusing the extraneous information of Hansen being put on IR (purely to clear up a roster spot) and Jensen being in the AHL with a trade for a waiver eligible NHL player. Etem gets no exemption from waivers this year, next year, or any other year regardless of the contract he signs, where the player he was traded for was playing, or who we have on IR.

We have options (like Higgins being shopped which was announced today) to make sure we don't exceed the 23-man roster limit but Etem is on our roster for good at this point. He will not be able to help Utica unless somehow his stock falls so far that no one would want him, even on waivers.

On 1/9/2016 at 2:00 PM, Fred65 said:

What's it say for the prospects he's jumped ahead of. Like Gaunce. They wanted to move him from centre to wing and they then bring in Cracknell as a C and first call up is Vey.   They want a winger they bring up Kenins ad now replace him with Etem....man Gaunce my man your slipping down de the ladder :(

While Etem does step ahead of Gaunce in the depth chart with this trade (where Jensen was below him) they don't play the same wing and Gaunce has been back playing center in Utica of late due to need. If anything Gaunce's stock has risen this year despite not getting a lot of NHL minutes to showcase himself and the Canucks are definitely letting him build on his development and success in Utica.

Long term they still want him as a left wing I think, and Kenins past success and Gaunce's importance to the Comets help explain why they might bring Kenins up ahead of Gaunce. Cracknell was a 50/50 option who earned his spot with the team in preseason, and Vey has played well in Utica and deserved a call up when we had a specific need for center coverage - a much tougher ask to bring Gaunce in and hope he can cover at the NHL level when he'd been playing wing previous.

2 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

While Etem does step ahead of Gaunce in the depth chart with this trade (where Jensen was below him) they don't play the same wing and Gaunce has been back playing center in Utica of late due to need. If anything Gaunce's stock has risen this year despite not getting a lot of NHL minutes to showcase himself and the Canucks are definitely letting him build on his development and success in Utica.

Long term they still want him as a left wing I think, and Kenins past success and Gaunce's importance to the Comets help explain why they might bring Kenins up ahead of Gaunce. Cracknell was a 50/50 option who earned his spot with the team in preseason, and Vey has played well in Utica and deserved a call up when we had a specific need for center coverage - a much tougher ask to bring Gaunce in and hope he can cover at the NHL level when he'd been playing wing previous.

Your reasoning makes a lot of sense. I am guessing that the Canucks also wanted Gaunce to have the experience of being a team leader on the Comets for the full season. And it certainly makes sense to give Etem another shot at the NHL level in the second part of this year.

One advantage Gaunce has is that there is no doubt that Gaunce will still have a Canuck contract next and will get a long look for the big team, whereas Etem will have to play well to get another contract from the Canucks. I think he will get another contract but might end up in the AHL (requiring waivers first of course), depending on how he plays. But I think there is a good chance that Gaunce moves ahead of Etem on the depth chart next year, even though he is behind right now.

^^Absolutely, and Etem's already proved what he can do at lower levels and is fighting to show he deserves more at the NHL on top of what was mentioned. They likely won't impact each other much though in who makes it or doesn't.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

BUT...

Etem has lots of things that look good, but none of them have translated consistently at the NHL level. Combine that with him not being a fit in New York, and he required waivers and you get a player who can be had for a bit cheaper.

Conditioning stints are nothing to worry about, we saw it happen with Corrado and Tinordi this year, but also Bernier, and the Canucks have done it with a number of players over the years (for instance, Salo after a long injury layoff, and Horvat last year). It's traditionally after an injury but is becoming more commonly allowed for younger players in particular who haven't played a lot and need a confidence boost as much as getting a game feel back. More veteran players typically already know what it takes to be in the NHL and just have to work on their timing rather than any confidence issues.

On Saturday, January 09, 2016 at 3:33 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Same thing happened in 1994 after the Canucks' SCF run.  Quinn was assured that the league was going to skill and finesse, so he went and traded Peca for Mogilny.

I certainly don't remember Quinn making any mention of that. PQ was a robust player and wanted a robust team he wasted many draft selection trying to find a "big" centre. He told fans when he first arrived that opposition would never leave Vcr thinking it was an easy night. Fact is he brought in Mogiliny to play with Bure....it didn't work

9 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

OK old man, I know old people get stuck in their ways but it's annoying to keep having to repeat myself. I may stop responding after a while. My grandfather can be this way, no matter the facts he believes what he believes.

Evidently that idea has become stuck in his fur-borne ears and nothing's getting through.  Kindof like Freddie and his "Pedan's pinless grenade" repetitiveness.

17 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Perspective

This is the 5th time that Benning has made this trade (I think).  Which is, picking up an early 20's player who is on the cusp of making the NHL and is in tough because of either depth on the club he's playing for, or he's just a little slow to develop and has to clear waivers.  Here's the list:

1. Linden Vey
  2. Adam Clendening
  4. Sven Baertschi
  5. Emerson Etem

So the trade is a bit of a flyer.  Benning has given up 2 2nd round picks, 1 3rd round pick, a prospect taken in the 5th round in the most recent draft and a prospect who was looking like he could be a bust.  Ironically, with the Etem trade, maybe the Rangers are looking at it in exactly the same way; maybe they think that a change of scenery can benefit Jensen.  We like Etem's tools, let's see if he can bring it.

Jensen's just too mentally fragile to make it in the NHL though... not sure if he's a reliable top six forward in the AHL either with the way he's produced there. His middle name has to be Streaky because that's probably how you best define him. He's also a gentle giant in that he doesn't really know how to use his big frame to his advantage.

Etem's a coin toss as well, but a more realistic one at that.

22 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Perspective

1. Linden Vey
  2. Adam Clendening
  4. Sven Baertschi
  5. Emerson Etem

I don't think it affects your point at all, but in the list of what they gave up I think "a prospect who was looking like he could be a bust" should be "two prospects who were looking like they could be busts" that being Jensen and Mallet, the latter being included in the Pedan trade.

3 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Vancouver Canucks @VanCanucks 9m9 minutes ago

"You only get so many chances in this league. I want this to be my last stop, I want to wear this jersey for the rest of my career" - Etem

Nice.  Sounds like he's ready to be teachable.  As long as he puts in the effort he'll get re-signed, and we'll be able to qualify him for cheap next year, too.

Chemistry goes a long way, and maybe he just wasn't able to get a solid footing in NY.  I have a feeling that WD and the coaching staff work with him and bring him along just like Sven, Virtanen, and McCann. 

If him and Vey can re-kindle their chemistry, and he brings the speed and net drive like Virtanen look out.  That line could really do well. 

Etem has a lot of talent, but spends too much time on the perimeter.  In junior it worked, in the NHL it doesn't.  He is big and strong, and if Etem has the will to go in the tough spots, he can have some success.  Hope he works out for Vancouver.

Archived