Sign in to follow this  
Gstank29

Emerson Etem | RW/LW

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

We currently have the entire top line of one of the deadliest lines in the WHL over the last 6 years in Curtis Valk, Emerson Etem and Hunter Shinkaruk in our organization.

We have the coach that managed to help them become that great line.

Can we please find a way to get Etem in to the AHL with Hunter and hope Valk comes back healthy (if indeed he is still injured) and while we're at it find a way to get Domi out of Arizona for Horvat too

Won't matter, they won't accomplish anything at the NHL level unless JB acquires the stick-boy from Medicine Hat also::D

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

I thought we already had Vey?:lol:

LOL, love it! 

30 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Speed, size, great shot -- JB's kinda guy.

seems like the type of players Benning is targeting are a little on the bigger side. they're fast. and they have a good shot. Vey and Baer are probably the exceptions. 

57 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'm thrilled about the trade personally. Etem's got a high ceiling even if he's a long shot to reach it and we got him for an asset we were likely losing next fall anyway. WINNING.

Add the proven chemistry he has with Shink and that he also should apply some upward/internal pressure to Virtanen if our coaches can turn his game around... I like! 

Worst case, he's a useful bottom 6 depth guy moving forward.

Yup, my thoughts exactly. I'd basically forgotten about Jensen already this year he's done so little so we might not have even re-signed him this summer. I'm happier to see if Etem can get a new start and if there ends up being any chemistry again with Shinkaruk.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

seems like the type of players Benning is targeting are a little on the bigger side. they're fast. and they have a good shot. Vey and Baer are probably the exceptions. 

Does not surrounding the smaller, softer skilled guys with bigger tougher guys make the littler guys play a bit bigger?:o

• Upvote 1

Looking at his advanced stats, there might be something promising. Lowest on-ice shooting % of all the Rangers and his PDO was also dead last - even behind Tanner Glass. His possession metrics are far from the worst though, even if they're bottom half of the roster, but he also started his shifts nearly 70% of the time outside the offensive zone (yet ended his shifts there nearly 42% of the time). He's at 50% on his faceoffs this year in a limited role and draws far more penalties than he takes.

That pretty much echoes what was said in the review of his time in Anaheim: poor puck luck and bad bounces despite his possession numbers increasing. 4th line minutes and tougher defensive shifts without any special team time in New York didn't do anything to get him out of that rut.

If he can be effective physically and not be a liability defensively, he may see his puck luck change with the right situation and getting back to taking more shots.

Edited by elvis15
  • Upvote 1

At the end of the day, the trade was a 6th for Etem but will be remembered as Jensen for Etem. If Etem does anything at all, it will soften the blow of Jensen being a total bust. 

Etem with 37 goals in his last 72 AHL games, Jensen with just 18 in his last 86. Unless he can turn it around in NY, he will be heading to Europe next season. He was so far down our depth chart, never to be seen in a Canucks uniform again: Vey, Kenins, Grenier, Gaunce, Pedan at forward, and maybe even Zelewski ahead. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Looking at his advanced stats, there might be something promising. Lowest on-ice shooting % of all the Rangers and his PDO was also dead last - even behind Tanner Glass. His possession metrics are far from the worst though, even if they're bottom half of the roster, but he also started his shifts nearly 70% of the time outside the offensive zone (yet ended his shifts there nearly 42% of the time). He's at 50% on his faceoffs this year in a limited role and draws far more penalties than he takes.

That pretty much echoes what was said in the review of his time in Anaheim: poor puck luck and bad bounces despite his possession numbers increasing. 4th line minutes and tougher defensive shifts without any special team time in New York didn't do anything to get him out of that rut.

If he can be effective physically and not be a liability defensively, he may see his puck luck change with the right situation and getting back to taking more shots.

He's not fit, and gets tired quickly, so he straightens and becomes less effective.  He needs to GET FIT.  

Big junior and AHL numbers, otherwise an underachieving forward which we have enough of.

Horvat for Johansen or Horvat for Seth would have been better. 

1 minute ago, AlphaHoneyBadger said:

Big junior and AHL numbers, otherwise an underachieving forward which we have enough of.

Horvat for Johansen or Horvat for Seth would have been better. 

What makes you think Nashville would want Horvat over Johansen or that Columbus wanted Horvat over Jones?

Not that either of those have anything to do with trading Jensen for Etem.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He's not fit, and gets tired quickly, so he straightens and becomes less effective.  He needs to GET FIT.  

Care to elaborate on your source for that? I haven't read all the trade thread yet but haven't seen that come up.

6 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Care to elaborate on your source for that? I haven't read all the trade thread yet but haven't seen that come up.

Goes against everything I've read about him.

During his draft profile they called him a "fitness nut". Unless he all of a sudden became lazy, I don't see that being a problem.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Goes against everything I've read about him.

During his draft profile they called him a "fitness nut". Unless he all of a sudden became lazy, I don't see that being a problem.

So, if he's a fitness freak and in great shape, what is causing him to become winded so quickly, and lose his jump after only a few shifts?  

Just now, Alflives said:

So, if he's a fitness freak and in great shape, what is causing him to become winded so quickly, and lose his jump after only a few shifts?  

Again, where are you reading that he get's winded so quickly and loses his jump after only as few shifts? Is this the infamous eye test?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Well there's being in shape and being in game shape. The only way to get in game shape is to play.

If he's in and out of the lineup all the time, that's not gonna help him.

13 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Rangers were sending him, or had just sent him down, for conditioning reasons.  I'm hoping the guy needs to get more fit, because if he gets tired so quickly, and he's fit, he's got some physical limitations.  We are not all gifted the same aerobic capacity.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Rangers were sending him, or had just sent him down, for conditioning reasons.  I'm hoping the guy needs to get more fit, because if he gets tired so quickly, and he's fit, he's got some physical limitations.  We are not all gifted the same aerobic capacity.

So you're basing this on the conditioning stint....?